Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #1
Texas Firefighter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8153
Battery upgrade questions

Looking to upgrade my battery on my Montana. I have an Interstate Mega-Tron SRM-24, 550 CCA, with a reserve of 140 min. This is a wet battery. I want to upgrade to a Lifeline Deep Cycle AGM Battery, Possibly the GPL-31T. Question: Will the converter on the Montana's over charge this type of battery? I know very little about converters and I don't even know what converter is on my Montana. Just reading about this type of battery (AGM) charging is a little trickey. Any information on this subject will help! Thanks!

Texas Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
You ask a good question. I suggest contacting the manufacture of your converter and get them to verify in writing. This also helps you with locating your converter.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:17 AM   #3
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Unlss your converter has the smart module added it wil over charge the AGM's. AGM's chargers once they get to 80% charged will drop off to half the rate of wet cell charger. The key is to have less gassing on AGM vs. wet cell.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:11 AM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I asked IOTA about AGM, charging and they said that the IOTA is not designed for that.

AGM batteries are good, but probably not really necessary for an RV. Their big advantage is that they won't spill, very usefull in a boat or aircraft, but in an RV you will get the best bang for buck with a good deep cycle wet cell battery. Two 6 volt golf cart batteries are a popular choice. Amp hours are the measure you want to look for, CCA and MCA ratings are for auto, and marine STARTING batteries. (not all "marine" batteries are true deep cycle batteries).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:28 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Once again I find myself going back to my days at Adams Tire and BATTERY Service when I say "Get the best wet cell deep cycle battery you can find" and forget the rest.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote