Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-12-2006, 01:13 AM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Battery Kill Switch

Thinking about installing a battery kill switch to isolate the battery during times they we don't use the Monty.

Has anybody done this? I thought about putting the switch on the ground wire between the frame and the battery and mount the switch on the wall.

Does anyone know the gauge of the white ground wire, I may need another piece for the job.

Thanks and Happy Camping

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:19 AM   #2
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Bob
You should switch the positive lead not the ground. I don't remember the wire gauge. I used a marine cutoff switch. You can find them at most boat supplies stores.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 02:55 AM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
This photo shows the cut off switch (red lever--extreme left side of photo) on my 2955; leading from two 6 volt golf cart batteries in the BlueSea battery box.

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 03:16 AM   #4
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
Called Paul and he said he thinks that the gauge of the ground wire would be #8. Don't quote me, remember he is in the hospital. His mind is still sharp though..LOL.
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:18 AM   #5
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Use #6 AWG wire or heavier. You may be able to find a suitable battery cable with terminals already attached at an auto supply store. I also used a marine switch similar to Padre Dave's, although mine is Blue Sea brand, same as the Padre's battery box.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 09:56 AM   #6
houseof many dogs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #854
I used a marine battery cutoff switch also, it cost around $25 and I used #8 wire from the Positive post of the battery to the switch. On my 3295, I mounted the switch on the bulkhead next to the switch for the for the front atabilizer legs. That way when I get the rig stowed, I can turn off the battery from the same place i exteded the legs from.
houseof many dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:19 AM   #7
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
What John said (ontmont) I installed one about 2 months ago. I found Automotive 6ga with the eyelets on both ends. I installed mine in the front compartment near the battery. I do however like the idea of having it in the compartment with the switch for the front legs.
Rick.
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 10:50 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have had trouble with those marine cutoff switches (dial-type), especially the A/B/AB/OFF ones. You cannot tell at a glance whats going on. I have killed a couple batteries that way when I thought the switch was OFF. Might just be me, though.

Someone just posted a link a day, or two, ago about an electrical product - can't remember what the main topic was, but I do remember seeing on the same site, a simple lever-type cutoff switch for RV batteries. No mistaking when that switch is not connected.

Also, didn't these new shore stations on the new Montanas have that battery cutoff switch (key-style) in there with the shower and the other valve handles? Rich?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:28 AM   #9
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
the shore station does have a battery cut off switch, put the key in, battery on, pull the key out, battery off.

Our cut off switch is VERY easy to read, color coded and all.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:48 AM   #10
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Ok, you lost me what are you talking about as a shore station cut off?

Thanks
Old 03-12-2006, 12:07 PM   #11
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
In the new Montanas, they have incorporated that shore station, has water hookups, shower, battery, cable, goodness, not sure just what, but all behind ONE door. We saw one the other day, and I remember the battery disconnect, because Al and I looked at it so hard. I don't remember all the rest, you know, selective memory at my age! There was a city water hookup and I believe the flush in the same compartment. The fill for the fresh water storage tank (the one we run off the pump) was OUTSIDE of this station, and still requires a 751 key to get in, remember that, cause I pulled my 751 out of my pocket to open it.

OKKK, I have the literature from the Cambridge, and this is what they listed as Exterior Convenience Center:
Compartment light
Satellite hook-up
Cable tv hookup
phone hookup
city water hook up
hot water central manifold
black tank flus
Power fresh water fill
remote holding tank valves
paper towel holder
exterior monitor panel
exterior pump switch
exterior shower
ODS security light switch
120 volt outlet
battery disconnect switch
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:05 PM   #12
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
This is another one of the items on my list to do this spring. It would be much easier to flip the switch to shut of the battery, rather than unscrew and taking the cover off the battery box every time I want to disconnect the battery.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:34 PM   #13
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
So does it matter where the switch breaks the circuit, is it better on the ground or hot side of the battery?

Thanks
Old 03-13-2006, 01:14 AM   #14
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
The switch "KEY" in the photo I posted earlier is 'fail proof'. When you turn it OFF, you actually remove the KEY (handle, lever). To turn it ON, you insert the KEY and turn it on.

It is my understanding that it should be on the "hot" (positive) line, not on the ground.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:29 AM   #15
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

In the new Montanas, they have incorporated that shore station, has water hookups, shower, battery, cable, goodness, not sure just what, but all behind ONE door. We saw one the other day, and I remember the battery disconnect, because Al and I looked at it so hard. I don't remember all the rest, you know, selective memory at my age! There was a city water hookup and I believe the flush in the same compartment. The fill for the fresh water storage tank (the one we run off the pump) was OUTSIDE of this station, and still requires a 751 key to get in, remember that, cause I pulled my 751 out of my pocket to open it.

OKKK, I have the literature from the Cambridge, and this is what they listed as Exterior Convenience Center:
Compartment light
Satellite hook-up
Cable tv hookup
phone hookup
city water hook up
hot water central manifold
black tank flus
Power fresh water fill
remote holding tank valves
paper towel holder
exterior monitor panel
exterior pump switch
exterior shower
ODS security light switch
120 volt outlet
battery disconnect switch
Thanks, Carol! As I was posting that comment, I had a flashback to the Toledo show, where Rich and I went around to the backside (against the wall, in the dark) of the 3400 to see this station (we had to come out from behind there at seperate times, as it just wouldn't have looked right...).

Are flashbacks a sign of something bad? I'll add that to my list for my Doc at my next checkup...
Old 03-13-2006, 11:04 AM   #16
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
We bought a kill switch at CW and attatched it to the chasis right next to the ground wire. The existing ground wire was just long enough. It is a lever that flips to connect/disconnect. Has worked very well for us.
Mariana
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 01:37 PM   #17
houseof many dogs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #854
To answer your question directly, I would never trust a ground disconnect on a DC circuit,because then all you need to complete a circuit is an accidental ground form any individual power using device. If you disconnect the hot side of a DC circuit, you can ground any individual circuit all day long and nothing happens.
BTW - my marine disconnect has only On and off positions - does not have the A,B or both as some switches do.
houseof many dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:12 PM   #18
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Is there any good reason(s) to have a kill switch other than storage situations?
If I fulltime, would it be useful?
Thanks.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 03:27 PM   #19
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
By the way all,
Conventional current flow is from the positive battery terminal through the circuit, and back via. wires or the frame to the negative battery terminal ground connection. The circuit is complete ONLY if this ground cable is connected to the negative post of the battery.

Installing the battery disconnect switch such that the negative battery terminal is disconnected is just as effective as installing it on the positive side. As a matter of fact, since I have 2 12 batteries - one for the coach and one for my boat, I typically move the negative cable back and forth (and keep both positives connected all the time) to alternately charge the batteries, and just leave the ground cable disconnected entirely when the coach is not used for more than several days.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:24 PM   #20
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
It's probably more psychological than anything else. I understand what you are saying, Rick. But my mind would be thinking that somethings going to happen to ground the system and complete the circuit at the wrong time. It could happen... We are talking about Dave Sprik, here, you know... I have had some "miraculous" things happen with electricity, when I was involved, that totally confuse the smartest electricians... like, how can you throw the main breaker for the ENTIRE house and STILL run a load of 110 juice through yourself while installing a ceiling fan...

So even though a negative cutoff switch would logically work, I'm afraid it going to have to be the positive side I'm cutting. Actually, for me, BOTH pos and neg cutoffs wouldn't be a bad idea...