Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2015, 01:55 AM   #1
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Question about installing Tailgater

OK, since LOML hates the spotty CG to CG television, we're now the proud owners of a new model Tailgater, Dish receiver & month to month account. Question is; I'm not ready to hook but the LR TV to it and still want the BR TV to work off the regular antenna or park cable. Anyone just put a hole in the back of their Monty and mounted a new cable jack outside & in?

Old 06-03-2015, 03:02 AM   #2
jfaberna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13909
my monty has cable, and satellite connections for each room in the Convenience Center. If the TV is turned to the tuner, and the booster switch is on, we get OTA TV anywhere. If the booster switch is off and park cable is hooked up, we get cable everywhere. Satellite is connected via the sat. box and HDMI cable to the TV, so TVs are set to HDMI1/2. How many satellite tuners and which antenna you use controls how may TV can get Sat. on the Tailgater, you get one sat line for one TV
jfaberna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 03:38 AM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jfaberna

my monty has cable, and satellite connections for each room in the Convenience Center. If the TV is turned to the tuner, and the booster switch is on, we get OTA TV anywhere. If the booster switch is off and park cable is hooked up, we get cable everywhere. Satellite is connected via the sat. box and HDMI cable to the TV, so TVs are set to HDMI1/2. How many satellite tuners and which antenna you use controls how may TV can get Sat. on the Tailgater, you get one sat line for one TV
I do not think the 2010 models were wired to support what you are describing. Our 2012 and 2014 were, and I think the wiring change was in 2012 but not really sure. On our 2007, I had planned on adding a dedicated connector to the side where the tv resided to support a Directv dish, but traded the rig before I got around to it. Should be a simple addition. For a while, I used one of those flat cables through a window which worked fine, not sure about HD signals on the flat cables though?
Bingo
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 04:42 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
My 2010, built in March, has both connections in the convenience center.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 05:00 AM   #5
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
We have a Tailgater with the 211k receiver, and have used it in our last two Montanas. When I connected to the Sat. connection in the convenience center of the 2014 BS I couldn't get a signal to the TV (tried each connection in the convenience center and behind the LR TV). So I connected directly to the 211k and worked great. So, just like I did in the 2007 Montana, I drilled a hole in the entertainment slide for an RG-6 connector. Now I connect the Tailgater to the RG-6 connector that goes directly to the 211K receiver that is connected directly to the TV via an HDMI cable. TV reception is perfect. Then I connected another RG-6 cable from the out to TV connection on the 211k receiver and back feed the trailer's cable line so I could get TV in the bedroom. I have TV in the BR but it is snowy. I checked and tightened each trailer cable connection, and made sure that the antenna booster was off in the BR but still it is snowy. And I still haven't been able to get a signal from the TV outside on other than the antenna. Good luck.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 07:18 AM   #6
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Ours is the rear entertainment center model (42"). We've one cable/sat. connection in the convenience center and it works for cable if the antenna booster is turned off. I don't want to connect the Tailgater to it though, as the BR TV will not have anything then. This model Tailgater does have two coax connectors and can have two receivers hooked to it - I'm not to that point though and don't know if we'll ever want that. I could put a new connector through the rear or on a side near the rear though, and connect the receiver directly to it & the TV via HDMI (still has the antenna connection if it's ever needed). Just wondering if there was a better way, but I suppose not.
Old 06-03-2015, 08:07 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Ours also only had the one cable/sat coax input. So I added a new one for the Tailgater. In my case it was quite simple. The TV cabinet is next to a side wall. And I could remove a side panel in the cabinet below the TV and see the outside wall. So I drilled a hole in the outside wall and in the side panel. I installed a weather proof coax connector on the outside wall, and a coax wall plate on the inside panel. Then used a 3' or 4' RG6 coax to connect the two. Tailgater works great with it. I can still use the original to connect to cable if I want, or use the antenna.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #8
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
I did the same thing as BB_TX, just drilled right through the wall and now the satellite hooks directly to the tuner box. I could never get the satellite to work right using the factory set up but this works excellent. The hardest part was actually drilling the hole.

trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:55 AM   #9
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I have drilled, installed and sealed 2 connections to my 211 receivers for my SAT antenna in the LR and BR. Just measure twice because you only want to drill once! Good luck and hope everything works our for you.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 07:07 AM   #10
Sierra 117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9481
I opened the rear slide half way, pushed the RG-6 cable through the gap between the slide and the RV body and then extended the slide completely. It made a tight seal and the tailgate works well.
Sierra 117 is offline   Reply With Quote