Originally Posted by amyed
Not being an electrician I would not know how or why to do ohm test. I was told by other campers to check continuity and voltage. Water is not as hot as it used to be. Does the difference (121v /115v) tell why? I guess I'll go buy a new 1500w element.
To check the element;
- unplug from shore power
- turn off generator if you have one
- remove the wires from the heating element
- set your meter to read ohms
- put one meter probe on one element screw and the other probe on the other screw
- meter should read 10-12 ohms
- if meter does not register something other than the default reading the element is bad (my default meter reading is 1 . for an open circuit)
Your element may be 1440 watts rather than 1500.