Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-14-2005, 02:35 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
3295 fireplace

had a conversation with Hart City Rv in Elkhart and the salesperson told me they has a 3295 on the lot with the fireplace option (which we do not want) I never saw a 3295 with the fireplace..is this true or was the salesperson mixed up////

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 02:43 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Richfaa,
We have the 3295 and it has a fireplace. When my wife and I first saw this item we just laughed and laughed. We thought it was the most useless thing they could put in an RV. Boy were we wrong! It has turned out to be one of the best features in our rig. Besides giving some diversion of a fireplace..... it is also a very nice electric heater. It has a variable light plus a thermostat to vary the heating element. We absolutely love it and will get another one if we ever change units. They look great and provide a very useful function. Often running the fireplace heater will keep us from ever having to use the furnace.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 02:57 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Richfaa,

I think you are probably aware, but thought I might mention this anyway, ----

The new 3295 does not have the same configuration in the corner cupboard that the pre-2005 units did. When they changed that big bedroom, and moved the washer-dryer closet up front, by the entry door, they also did some changes to the corner cupbpard.

If you have not done so, you might want to go find a 2005 plus 3295 and have a look. For us, the changes have diminished our love of the 3295. That corner cupboard as it stood BEFORE the changes is one of the "biggies" for us. Now that it is different, I have to say, I don't care for it. The amount of storage in the new unit, I believe is greatly reduced, and frankly, we just do not like the way it looks now. Of course, that is a personal preference, it may appeal to others.

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 03:36 AM   #4
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Rich-
I have to ditto what HamRam says about the fireplace. I did not intend to have it included when I ordered my unit but the wife wanted it as we have never owned a home with a fireplace. On this last trip in the middle of the night the propane tanks failed to switch (had to replace the regulator) a flip of the switch on the wall was all that was necessary to raise the temperature inside the Monty back to a comfortable level. Now we use it most of the time to conserve on propane. I also have to admit it is one of the best features that we could have opted for.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 03:45 AM   #5
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
We love our fireplace and yes it cuts down on use of propane, plus it provides for a romantic atmosphere. However, we don't like the corner cupboard, would much more prefer the extra space around the bed. We use the washer & drayer area for laundry & coats.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 04:36 AM   #6
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I like the fireplace for all the above reasons and one more. It is quiet while heating and that furnace is one noisy bugger.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 05:36 AM   #7
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
We special ordered our Monty for the precise reason of leaving out the fireplace and the day/night shades. Took 12 weeks to get here, and it came with both the fireplace and the day/night shades, which we didn't have to pay for. We'll see just how useful they are, I have yet to be convinced. Thought we needed the extra storage where the fireplace was, but so far, we have done nicely without the extra storage.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 05:46 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well you learn something new everyday..Thanks for the heads up on the 3295 Changes. We saw the fireplace in the 3685 but Helen opted for the storage space. Anything that reduces storage space in the 3295 Will not go over well with Helen as that is one of the reasons why she chose that model..The good news is that if she gives the 3295 the thumbs down that moves my choice of the 3650/3685 up. I like the fireplace I figure that would keep the whole camper warm in the early spring and fall and would not have to carry around a space heater.. Helen thought the fireplace was "pushing" it to far..and how about the sat dish..said I.. got the Irish evil eye on that one.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:00 PM   #9
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Rich, our 3295 has the fireplace, and like others, I scoffed at it when I first saw it, but it earned my respect on our first trip out. We did not check the fuses for the converter—which were blown—and overnite in March, the battery went down. Marsha got up at about 3 a.m. and it was chilly in the Montana, so we cut on the electric fireplace and that took the chill off. I will never laugh at one again!

Just read Carol’s post and I totally agree about the 2005.5 changes to the 3295. Fortunately, we bought a 2003 model this year that has the corner space and we absolutley love it—there is so much room there. Additionally, the “small” coat closet as you come in the door is deceptively spacious. All three of us were able to store our coats there, and I can tell you, mine is NOT small!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 01:33 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The "small coat closet" as you come in the door was a major Plus for Helen.We have a Cock-A-too and that closet space measured just right to store the birds travel cage.Helen travels with a tape measure in her purse and a list of "things" that have to measure out or the camper gets a "thumbs down" There is a Montana dealer about 40 miles from us, will see if they have the 2005.5 model and check it out..I would assume that the changes will hold for the 2006 model year.I have not let Helen see these post yet..Have you ever seen, or heard, a unhappy Irish person?????
Old 05-14-2005, 02:04 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours is also a 2003 3295RK. That entry closet has three sections, with the coat closet portion of it in the middle. We have several jackets in there, flashlight, box of fuses, and other odds and ends, all in that middle section. The bottom section is full of DVD movies (just one place those are stored) and the top section houses our library of reading materials along with a selection of soft drinks. You can get a couple of cases in there if you stack them.

The curio cabinet in the corner is also heavily used for storage for us.

**Our** 3295RK is still the best choice for us. But if we went with a 2005 I'm afraid the 3295RK changes would push us to the 3400RL or the 3500RL. And we don't like the new "bedroom suite" arrangement with sink in the bedroom and no wood doors to provide privacy and isolate living room noises.

I know our preferences don't match up with everyone else. Others may prefer what we don't like. The above is just what suits us.

As for the fireplace, it was on our option list but we chose not to get it. I would have liked to have the fireplace but we neded the storage. In that location are the remainder of our dvd movie collection.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 05:37 PM   #12
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
When we first started looking at Montanas, we had our hearts set on a 3295. I did not want the fireplace and Bob did. I thought the extra storage or book case should go there. Since then we opted for a 3400RL and we got the fireplace. We really like it. Many times in our other TT had an electric ceramic heater going for supplemental heat and especially at night as they are not as noisy. Now we just switch on the fireplace and set the thermostat... no heater and cords to trip over. We love it!!!!!
Myrna
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 02:58 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Rats..Looks like the 3295 will not suit our needs.We were hoping the floor plan would hold.The 3400 and 3500 are both to long at 37.1 listed feet (is that number correct, it is usually understated) For many reasons we think that 32/34 feet is the ideal length. We have the truck that will pull any Montana but through experience understand that length can be a issue at many campgrounds The 2980 has a similar floor plan Its the island kitchen thing that Helen MUST have.If the camper does not have one she is out the door.Right now I can't remember why she rejected the 2980 before and I can't find her "notes) Why you may ask do I have no say in the choice of campers..I do..however the inside of the camper is Her domain
and her say is final.I deal with outside issues, storage, length/ overall quality. Thats why it takes us so long to make a choice but the choice is always a good one.
Old 05-15-2005, 03:20 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, our 2003 3295RK is actually about 36 feet, maybe just a tad under. It's a rare campground we can't get into. I don't think another foot or two is going to make any difference. I've never seen a CG that said you can get in at 36 feet but not at 38 or 39 or 40. I'm sure there's a few out there, but there are so many that can accept you that I consider it a non-issue. You can either go smaller so you can get in 98% of all campgrounds or you can go with the rig you want and get into 96% instead of 98%. If it were me, I'd go with the rig I want and not worry about the campgrounds. It's just not that big an issue. Just my opinion, as always.

If your favorite campgrounds fall in that small percentage where you won't fit, then that's a different story.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 03:25 AM   #15
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Richfaa

Our 3295 is NOT 32 foot, and not the 34 foot 11 inches on the brochure either. Now, I have no idea HOW they measure these things, but our thinking is that we need enough room to put it ALL on a lot. ALL to us, is from the very tip of the nose, to the very end of the ladder. We have measured ours a couple of times that way, and we come up 1 inch shy of 37 foot. So, we call it 37 foot. Others have measured and come up with other numbers, and we have no idea why, but we go with 37. We have not had trouble, YET, finding a site in any campground. Everyplace we have called (we always call first, for a lot of different reasons) has been able to get the big rig in. Had one close call one cold rainy nasty night in a place near Dallas Texas, when we did not want to unhook. Won't be going back to that campground again!

Suggest that you carry a long tape rule with you when you visit dealers and/or shows. Measure carefully if you feel that you want to stay under 32/34 feet. DO NOT rely on what the salesmen or the brochures tell you. That is our experience anyway!
Old 05-15-2005, 03:28 AM   #16
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
See Richfaa

Steve R and the Stevens have the same model number, he comes up with 36 foot, we come up with 37. OK, Steve, HOW do you measure???
Old 05-15-2005, 03:30 AM   #17
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Rich, when we started looking at Montanas, I fell in love with the 2980. It had an excellent balance of what I considered an acceptable length and a nice interior—I had loved the rear lounge since I first saw them years ago and liked the island. That said, the chance at our 2003 3295 RK came up and we went that way. Where I am going with this is that both have the island in the middle and that when the slides are retracted that makes it difficult to get to some cabinet space. We love the island, but it is just something to consider.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 05:35 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Understand about the length we used to sell these things. Our Terry TT 29R is 32 feet 6 inches stem to stern and thats what you need to park.( the box is 29 feet long) Good to know that the 3295 is 36 or 37 feet long, we had NOT measured it on the lot. There ought to be a law about stating the accurate length of campers.And you are right Steve about the length VS campground. I guess we should say we would LIKE to stay at @32/34 feet I mean with the F350 CC/LB and the terry TT we are at 54+feet overall now and we have always managed to shoehorn the thing in. Of course the positive thing about a fifth wheel is that some of it is over the truck so a 37 foot fifth wheel would no doubt be shorter overall than we are now.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:48 AM   #19
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Richfaa

I think we are about 53 foot running, have NOT taken that long rule to the entire business when hooked up, so that measurement should not be considered accurate.

Shoehorn in, I LIKE that phrase!

Carol
Old 05-15-2005, 01:01 PM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Countryguy.. Apparently You are old enough to know what a shoehorn is and what it does.