Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2005, 03:10 PM   #1
smoothies
Established Member

M.O.C. #1296
Mice

We have a 2004 3295 with a few unwanted additions. We keep getting mice by the hot water heater. I have trid to fill any gaps with foam but we still get mice in this area. Does antone have a better idea?

smoothies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 03:30 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
DECON.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 04:52 PM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I second Doug and Sharon's suggestion. When I lived in New York (upstate) out in the woods, I had a lot of trouble with mice and squirrels. Decon was the only thing that worked.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
We have used the sticky trays in our stick built home for years and that always gets them and you witness it. With decon, they eat it and go off and die - in your house. This is not what we wanted. As for the 5er, we also have used the foam sealant and use the fabric softener sheets that one would use in your clothes dryer and we place them everywhere that you would think a mouse could get in. Seems to work, as we have not had any mice in the 5er this winter. Good luck.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 02:04 AM   #5
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
we use bounce fabric softener sheets, they don't like the smell, but we do.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 03:18 AM   #6
Montana_265
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #265
We used the foam... they came up the front legs of the 5 wheel then ate through the aluminum ductwork into the kitchen.... made repairs then used the no kill plastic cubes we got a Walmart. However, by time we find them they are DOA. Amazing how many of those little critters are around. We keep the cubes in camper at all times and check on them often. I will try the bounce in our new rig.... haven't found any there yet? Hopefully sealed better.
Montana_265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 11:45 AM   #7
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
pesky little critters!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 04:06 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We used decon in our stick home and never had them die in the walls or ceiling as far as we could tell (no odor evidence, anyhow). When they ingest the decon they get very thirsty and head for the nearest drink. My understanding is the moisture combined with the decon is what kills them. I did find one floating in a pan of oil in our garage that I had not yet disposed of.

I've heard a couple of mothballs will do the trick, also, but have no first hand knowledge of that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 07:26 PM   #9
Montana_2953
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2953
We had them die in the attic of the stick house, they went down between the wall and the fireplace. Winter came and I lit the fireplace, Whoa , what a smell. GROSS!!!!
Kathi
Montana_2953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 06:49 PM   #10
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
For six years we've had our Montana in covered storage from October- April without ever finding signs of critters in it. Last fall, after seeing the recommendation about Bounce Fabric Softener sheets keeping them out I thought what the heck, it can't hurt to toss some in various areas when we put it in storage. Well, brought it home today and found signs that mice apparently do like Bounce. It was a cold winter though, so maybe they were using the bounce as little blankets?
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 04:20 AM   #11
Sue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1356
I have heard that brillo pads work great & I of course live by moth balls but the odor is more than I can stand.

On the brillos, you pull them apart & schred (slp) them up sorta of, and then stick them where you suspect they are crawling in, supposedly they won't crawl threw it do to the touch.

P.S. You could always get a cat and stick in there.

Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 09:36 AM   #12
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
One good use the small Victor mouse traps baited with a bit of peanut butter.
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 11:39 AM   #13
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Have used moth balls in years gone buy and found them to work very well, but that smell is hard to take and get ride of in the spring. In the last five years we have aquired a half dozen cats that live in our horse barn and needless to say anything that moves on our acreage eventually gets caught!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 06:20 PM   #14
Montana_1495
Established Member

M.O.C. #1495
Gotta tell 'ya - After many months of no problems, all of of sudden there were "chew marks" that had not been there before. I bought some of those WAl-Mart ultrasonic "plug-in" anti-critter things and have honestly not had another problem since. I won't leave home without them ever again!!
Montana_1495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 06:33 AM   #15
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
Well, we've got mice. Tried the Bounce fabric sheets and found rat turds on them the next morning. So that didn't seem to help. Have put moth balls around the basement today and also put some of the sticky traps out. Will see if we get anything tonight. Moth balls certainly spread their aroma around pretty qauickly. I'm not sure if we can stay with it.
Read on another forum that peppermint oil or any thing with a mint smell works. That will be our next attempt.
Also a recommendation was mad to us Algenic (sic) ant poison. Have to see if I can find any of that around.
I'll be spending the afternoon looking for their access points and trying to plug them. As I understand it though it's very difficult to prevent them from getting access.
Needless to say my better half is not happy. She wanted to know if it's ok for her to stay in a hotel until "I" solve this problem.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:02 AM   #16
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Found signs of mice when we first moved into Monty (In the woods) in June. Combination of the Wal-Mart plug-ins and Bounce sheets seems to be doing the trick. Reluctant to use poisons because of one very curious dog.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 03:08 AM   #17
Sunseekers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #710
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunseekers
We have tried a lot of the things that were already stated. Decon was consumed by the box and still had critters. The thing that works for us is to have Victor traps (new & old style) around the rig. We load them with peanut butter and put 2 in the basement and 2 behind the return vent. I put wing nuts on this vent so that it is easier to deal with than the orginal screws.
Sunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:34 AM   #18
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sunseekers

We have tried a lot of the things that were already stated. Decon was consumed by the box and still had critters. The thing that works for us is to have Victor traps (new & old style) around the rig. We load them with peanut butter and put 2 in the basement and 2 behind the return vent. I put wing nuts on this vent so that it is easier to deal with than the orginal screws.
Sunseekers,
Return vent? Bring me in out of the dark.....which vent are you speaking of? Thanks!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:39 AM   #19
BigBlue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #109
No luck. Nothing in the traps this morning and still have rat turds in the kitchen drawers. Will increase the number of traps, one in each drawer after we take the silverware out.
BigBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 06:48 AM   #20
Montana_265
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #265
Try using dog food as bait. I caught a few in live traps that were in the stick house that way. Then took them across the street and set them free.
Montana_265 is offline   Reply With Quote