Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-20-2005, 03:08 AM   #21
Southstl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19
Yep, I have Verizon. The number I sent you guys is the Verizon cell number.

Southstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 03:59 AM   #22
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Joyce, I'm real curious about having your parents on your plan. Do they live with you or close to you? Are they in the same calling area? I didn't realize that you could have parents sharing a plan.

Carol, we're in the same boat, no cell phone coverage at our stick house. Too many trees and too far from town. I did purchase a Wilsom truck antenna and could probably sit in the truck and make calls. It gives me a better signal on the road. When you add another phone to a plan you do have to share minutes but when you call each other, it doesn't count against your minutes...if you're on the right plan. Cingular has those wonderful rollover minutes. Do you start over each year, like on January 1?
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 04:43 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Cingular rolls over by the month NOT year to year so you would start out at zero jan 1st of 2006, But at 1000 mins a month..thats over 16 hours on the phone.Even my wife does not talk that much???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:05 AM   #24
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We switched to Verizon because with ATT we could not get service at our stick house, at the Montana or at my Mother's mobile home. The rest of our family has Verizon so we can all talk free. I also choose Verizon for future internet connection when on the road. The second phone is only 9.99 and we can call anywhere in the US without extra charges. Weekends are free. So far everything has worked great.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 06:55 AM   #25
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
We have 2 & use Verizon as a lot of our friends do. We have the plan that lets you call another Verizon user at no cost of minutes. Works fopr us.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 07:04 AM   #26
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
For 60 years we didn't have but one phone and that was land based. We only got our first cell phone when we decided to do the fulltime thing. That was 15 months go and to this date we still only have one cell phone and with darn few exceptions we have seen no reason for a second cell.
When we lived in the stick house we only had the land based phone and that was all we needed than and one single cell phone is all we need today. 10 bucks a month is insignifcant but I can think of many other places to spend 120 bucks a year than giving it to Verizon, ATT or any of the rest.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 07:05 AM   #27
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
we just had this discussion ourselves yesterday. We have onstar (free for one year) with phone minutes , (we can buy 100 extra for 19.99) on our new pickup. thinking that maybe just one cell phone plus the onstar might work. Haven't checked on the cost after our "free Year" yet. Can anybody out there tell us if you have used this.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 09:33 AM   #28
alden3
Established Member

M.O.C. #1191
Doesn't anyone use Nextel but my wife and I? It seems to work great on the east coast.
alden3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:02 AM   #29
Sunseekers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #710
Send a message via Yahoo to Sunseekers
Paul and Jan
We also have onstar. Price is $199 per year.
Sunseekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:32 AM   #30
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Neither Marsha or I are retired, but we only have one cell phone, primarily because she does not want one. I have one that I always keep in my old truck, especially since that was the tow vehicle until I bought the F-250. Of course, when we took the Montana out this weekend, what did I do? Yep, I left the cell phone in the old truck.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 10:36 AM   #31
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I have Onstar also on my Envoy. I pay $17 per month for the Onstar service - base plan no frills. You can renew for a year instead of paying monthly but they got my charges messed up and I opted for the monthly for now. The phone is extra and I don't use it much because I think it is really expensive. Came in handy a couple of times when I forgot my cell and the time I misplaced it.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:51 PM   #32
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
We have Verizon with the America's Choice Plan. 300 min. unlimited night and weekends 1000 mobile to mobile. You can now get the in plan but since we had the 1000 that lets the wife use the mobile to mobile too. Otherwise she could only call me. The in plan only works for the main phone. It is 20.00 extra for us.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 01:54 PM   #33
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
With all the cell phone talk, I wonder how we all got along before cell phones. When the kids were younger, and we went shopping at the mall, we had "Meet you at the clock at 4:00." lol. I personally can't wait to get rid of some cell phones. We have 2 personal ones, 2 work ones and a Blackberry. At some point, enough is enough. When I got my Blackberry, I wanted to know only one thing; where the off button was. Technology is supposed to be an aid to living ease. Sometimes I wonder.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2005, 03:46 PM   #34
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We bought a cell phone years ago "just for security". Now I wouldn't be without one. We also bought a computer even more years ago "just to stay up with the times". Now it's an important part of our lives for information, entertainment, banking, etc. I don't think I want to give up either convenience.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:00 AM   #35
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Glen & Judy, We have been on Cingular for several years and switched to this plan about 18 months ago. With the family plan I believe you can have up to 3 phones, primary ($39) + $10/mth for each secondary. No my parents do not live with us. We contracted for this plan when we were still in GA and all 3 phones have a GA area code and exchange number. The contract does not specify where the phones must be since we have a plan with no roaming and includes long distance from the entire USA. Think about it, if one of your children were in college in another state they would still be entitled to a phone under your primary contract. We have a set number of minutes for peak and after 9:00P (which all 3 phones share)and have never used in excess of those. My parents normally only use their cell when they are away from the stick house. We changed to this plan right after you were allowed to retain the same phone number when you change cell companies or plans. We find the coverage is even better since ATT & Cingular merged.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 03:46 AM   #36
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Virgil

With all the cell phone talk, I wonder how we all got along before cell phones. When the kids were younger, and we went shopping at the mall, we had "Meet you at the clock at 4:00." lol. I personally can't wait to get rid of some cell phones. We have 2 personal ones, 2 work ones and a Blackberry. At some point, enough is enough. When I got my Blackberry, I wanted to know only one thing; where the off button was. Technology is supposed to be an aid to living ease. Sometimes I wonder.
Being a fulltimer requires we have a cell phone or a very long cord for a land based phone. If we were ever to give up the RV and go back to a stick house the cell phone would be history.
Normally Lorraine carries the cell but while she is at work I have it. I usually leave it in the trailer or the truck and not on my person. I didn't carry the land based everywhere I went and I don't carry the cell everywhere either. If someone feels they need to contact us they can leave a message and depending on the urgency I may get back to them.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 05:31 AM   #37
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I wouldn't be without my cell phone. We live 25 miles out in the country and when I was working, I was always driving home after dark. It was very comforting to have that connection. Now we save long distance charges by calling the grandchildren and family on the weekend.

Joyce, you may have really helped us with this problem as Glen will most likely get on our daughter's plan. She always has extra rollover minutes and we wouldn't hurt her plan because we would use the phone to call her from our Cingular phone. She also has an old plan and gets free minutes started at 7 PM. More computer time for free! Glen's boss has his parents on his plan. One phone is in Alabama and one phone is in New Jersey. We may add my parents to the plan and save them money, too.
Old 03-21-2005, 05:54 AM   #38
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We have Two phones 1 with unlimited Min and mine with 300 min and free incomming the unlimited ome also runs the internet which is included we also ust the walkie Talkie mode non the phone which is unlimited
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 09:43 AM   #39
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
We also have the family plan with 500 anytime and 5000 night and weekends. We always have carry over minutes at the end of the month because Dennis always fogets to turn his on--LOL.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2005, 12:07 PM   #40
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Virgil

What you say reminds me of one of Henry David Thoreau’s quotes in Walden concerning how the railroads were becoming an increasing part of their modern lives: “We do not ride the rails; the rails ride us.”
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote