Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2005, 07:46 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Frayed carpet edge

We have our Montana in for her yearly checkup. In fact it's the one before our warranty runs out. One of our issues is the front edge of the carpet under the sofa and dining table. After just a few months of use, the binding had rubbed off exposing the edge of the carpet. The dealer is taking up the carpet and sending it to a rug binder to repair it. What concerns me is the match that they are or are not going to make. Has anyone else had this problem? I was surprised at how quickly it has worn off.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 10:22 AM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
ours is fraying right where the slide wheels travel. not alot you can do. even if a new piece was the exact color, there would be a difference from where the sun has faded it.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 03:54 PM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I haven't yet got down on my knees to examine ours closely but just sitting here it looks fine. Yours sounds as if it is pretty obvious. They can probably fix it for you but if they don't fix the cause then it's likely to do it again. Does yours fold under when the slide is moving or something like that?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 03:19 AM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I haven't noticed that it curls under at all. But at least half of it has rubbed off so the raw edge is showing. The dealer is taking it out (the carpet) and replacing the edge. It isn't an easy fix but it's so obvious with just a little parttime use that I'm afraid that the entire edge would be raw soon. I think the fabric edge is just poor quality. I just hope and pray that they get it back in so it's not an obvious fix. If not, a runner would cover it.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:01 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've not heard of any others than in this thread having this problem. Maybe yours just wasn't attached properly. Hopefully the fix will cure it once and for all.
Old 03-04-2005, 05:16 PM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
It's still attached, Steve. It's the binding that covers the edge of the carpet that is wearing out. I was surprised that it wore away so quickly because it doesn't seem to be rubbing on anything. I hope they replace it with something more durable.
Old 03-05-2005, 10:43 AM   #7
RonS
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1316
Mine did the same thing where the corner of the slide comes over the material. The dealer had a carpet guy replace the entire carpet while under warranty, and so far is not causing anymore damage.
RonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 10:45 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
So it's the binding itself and not how it's attached? That sounds unusual, I've not heard any complaints about that before now. Ours is still fine. Maybe a bad batch of materials or something. I'd be really surprised if the replacement doesn't do better for you.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:25 PM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
It's definitely the binding. The raw edge of the carpet is exposed. I was surprised to see the binding starting to wear away soon after we got the trailer. We knew that it would have to be fixed months ago but we were just waiting for when our one year warranty was ready to run out so we could get several things done at once. The stitching itself is intact. The fabric of the binding is the lemon. The dealer said that they would have to take the carpet out but I don't know how much they are replacing or if they're just going to rebind the front edge. I can't really imagine anything wearing out so easily. Hope the next binding is more durable. This seems to have worn away from just passing over the other carpet when the slide is moved. There's nothing else that it comes in contact with. It's a real fluke, but one that we want repaired.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:51 PM   #10
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
just got the camper back from the dealer, they put a larger caster underneath the bed where it way wearing the carpet...we'll see if it helps.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 01:09 AM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I hope that you did get a good fix, Billy Ray. We haven't picked up our camper yet. There were a few other minor things that needed to be fixed so I don't know when it will be done(parts to be ordered, etc.). I'm anxious to see what they've done with it. Hope it's a match that we can live with. Don't want the camper to be tied up too long. Hubby retires in 21 days and we've got a trip planned to Savannah right after his final day at work. )
Old 03-12-2005, 04:11 PM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Picked up our Montana today and the dealer did a great job fixing the binding on the carpet. Looks good as new.