Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2005, 07:44 AM   #1
Montana_2852

M.O.C. #2852
Extended Warrenties on 2005 Montana 3295

We just purchased new Montana 3295RK and anxious to try it out. We are thinking of passing on the extended warrenty, thinking that Keystone and appliance manufacture do a fairly good job. Also think that savings on extended warrenty for first 2-4 years would likely cover anything not on original warrenty. We would greatly appreciate hearing about experience of those who have had their trailer several year.

Montana_2852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 08:50 AM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
I bought mine used without warranty so I make most minor repairs myself. I have never missed a camping trip because of a malfunction but I repair at both home and on the road. I have not had major problems except for a frame upgrade that Keystone paid for.

If your not inclined to fix things yourself you might consider an additional warranty.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:18 AM   #3
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi Dave,

We wrestled with this a little when we bought our Mountaineer.

Thinking about the major failures we have had in our previous 3 TTs we decided to pass. We had 1 failure it was the hot water tank and that was 12 years old.

Maybe we've been lucky, but we also thought that for the cost of this insurance we could replace the Refrig, or the A/C unit or any other component if needed.

I also believe you will have the most problems the 1st year if at all.

I also noted that we could purchase this insurance any time during the Manufacturers Warranty peroid. For us this was one year. So I thought if it all was good during the 1st year I'd pass and that's what we did.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:18 PM   #4
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
I've always considered extended warranties to be a waste of money. They are nothing more than an insurance policy and the way they make money is through people not having claims. Generally speaking you will not use the warranty but that is the risk you must consider.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:20 PM   #5
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
We have one. We also got an extended for rather a tire warranty too. It even covers replacement on the truck tires as long as it's hooked up to the camper.

Regarding the extended warranty, well we were afraid not to. In hind site I don't know if we should have? I have read nightmare stories where when people try to use them they deny the claim for one reason or another. With such a large investment as I said we were afraid to say no. They really strong sell you one at the dealerships at closing. We bought one for our truck as well but figured we'd be working that baby big time pulling the Montana.

Here's to hoping none of us ever need one.

Patty

Naturally I hope we never need to use it.
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 02:29 PM   #6
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
We also wrestled with this one, and then had to decide to get the ext. warranty through the dealer or outside (Good Sam). We also wound up getting the ext warranty through the dealer, but because we had mentioned using Good Sam, that became a bargaining chip and got a lower dedductible at a better price (we think!) We also got the tire warranty for the same reasons. Was it a good choice, don't know for sure, but we were able to afford it now and considering the amount of investment in the truck & trailer, we wanted to protect it. Time will tell!
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:16 PM   #7
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Remember Folks,

You can get the Tire warranty from Discount Tire if you have one available to you for about $10 a tire. If you don't have this on your Montana/Mountaineer it's something to consider. It can also be purchased for your TV.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 03:32 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We didn't get the extended warranty and ours is 30 months old and includes 21 months of fulltiming. We've not (yet) had a major out of pocket expense with it. I guess you really never know if you made the right choice about the warranty until enough time passes...
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 04:24 PM   #9
Montana_2694
Established Member

M.O.C. #2694
Hindsight is 20/20. Our first Montana, the price of the unit, number of components, and amount of use helped make our final decision to get it. Granted, the first year is probably the most problematic and I hope that's where it ends with ours however, if it doesn't, I have some "insurance" to fall back on.
Montana_2694 is offline   Reply With Quote