Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2015, 05:48 AM   #1
Happycamperscolorado
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15881
slide movement question

i thought i saw this once but can't find it. so we have 4 slides. i hit the room out and the bedroom starts moving but also the kitchen slide starts to move very very slowly with the bedroom. the bedroom completes and the kitchen picks up speed but the 3rd slide starts creeping to. i checked the switches outside for disabling the rooms and they are open all the way and i have the right amount of hydraulic fluid in the container for the rooms. i am not to concerned about it but what am i looking at here to fix this? thanks

Happycamperscolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:08 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Your sequence of slide operation sounds right. All slides (if hydraulic) are connected together in the same loop of hoses. The way a system like this works is a basic hydraulic principal. The lightest load or load with least resistance will move first, then the next lightest load will move and so on. The pump does not have enough volume to move all slides out or in at once. With all slides in, check your fluid level. It should be about 1" from the top.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:12 AM   #3
Happycamperscolorado
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15881
did not know that. thought 1st slide would complete it's cycle out 1st then the next then the next with not creeping from next in line. thanks
Old 04-06-2015, 06:13 AM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
There is nothing to fix. All four slides are connected to a common hydraulic feed, and normally, the lightest slide will come out first, then the next and so on. If you were able to have someone hold back against, say the second slide, the third would probably start coming out sooner. Also, if your rig is like ours, the hydraulic system is at the left front corner of the rig. That will also contribute to the closest slide coming out first, just like when you are using the levelup system, the closest jack to the pump will come down first. Don't over think this, just enjoy, nothing is wrong.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:28 AM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Our neighbor to the South(dieselguy) beat me to it and so did rohrmann. This is just the way the system works. I only have three slides and one of them, the bedroom is an electric/cable slide so it has it's own switch. The other two large slides are hydraulic and one will open then the other. There is always some small amount of movement on the second one because it is getting pressure but not enough to fully engage the slide movement until the first is in the full out position. Relax and don't worry on this. It's just the way it works! IF the slides stop part-way out or part-way coming in then that is another story and you have a self-setting breaker that is weak but that is an easy fix also. There are numerous threads on that subject here on the Forum.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 06:49 AM   #6
Happycamperscolorado
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15881
thanks everyone!!!
Old 04-06-2015, 10:45 AM   #7
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
A very real concern to be aware of is, if a slide stops unexpectedly, do not, I repeat, DO NOT continue pushing the button until you verify that there isn't something blocking the slide, such as a cabinet door or some other foreign object in the way. You will rip the door apart, or possibly rip the frame off the slide, or a combination of both. The hydraulic system is very powerful and can do these things. I have been there and have had to make repairs. I am not the button pusher, so for my own safety, I will not disclose who the party is that pushes the button
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 03:55 PM   #8
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rohrmann

There is nothing to fix. All four slides are connected to a common hydraulic feed, and normally, the lightest slide will come out first, then the next and so on. If you were able to have someone hold back against, say the second slide, the third would probably start coming out sooner. Also, if your rig is like ours, the hydraulic system is at the left front corner of the rig. That will also contribute to the closest slide coming out first, just like when you are using the levelup system, the closest jack to the pump will come down first. Don't over think this, just enjoy, nothing is wrong.
100% agree. Good advice.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote