Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #1
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Best Route: Cheyenne, WY to West Yellowstone, MT

Towing the Monty through new (to me) territory and would like advice. We have 5 days to get to from Cheyenne to West Yellowstone and any recommendations on best roads and stops along the way would be appreciated. Garry

Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I would take I80 west to I25 north to US 20 west and north to US 14 at Greybull, then west on 14 through Cody to the west entrance. To the north along 25 you will find US 16 at Buffalo and US 14, both of which have some steep grades. I would only take these if I wanted to test my exhaust brake, brakes and transmission. The campground owner in Buffalo told me they get about 30 rvs each summer needing a transmission, brakes or both after one of these highways
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I go I-25 to Rawlins, US 287 to Lander, DuBoise, Moran, then US 89 by (or through) the Tetons, then into the South Entrance of Yellowstone National Park, around to West Entrance and West Yellowstone. Have done so several times.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:02 AM   #4
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by padredw

I go I-25 to Rawlins, US 287 to Lander, DuBoise, Moran, then US 89 by (or through) the Tetons, then into the South Entrance of Yellowstone National Park, around to West Entrance and West Yellowstone. Have done so several times.
This is our normal route in since we almost always spend a few days in the Tetons first. We are leaving Dallas this morning and will be going thru on Saturday staying in the Tetons for 5 nights before moving on to Yellowstone.

If you are taking 5 days to go that distance the East Gate (via Cody) may be a better choice. Spend a few days in Cody. The climb thru the East Gate to Yellowstone lake is a good one but a wonderful view.

RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
We just got to Elk Meadows at Estes Park and will be here for 5 nights then (recalculated) 6 days to get to West Yellowstone for a 2 weeks stay. Just thought Cheyenne, WY would be a good place to stop, but really don't know where would be the best. Thanks to all, Garry
Old 05-24-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Colter Bay RV Park in the Grand Teton National Park is a great place to stay. In fact, that was our destination a couple of years ago. Another "overnight" on the way is the Riverview RV Park in DuBoise, WY. There was a thread in which this was discussed a few weeks ago, but I'm not sure of the title.

Meant to add, we often go up from a few days or a week in Estes Park. We usually stay in Spruce Lake RV Park. We will be there in September.
Old 05-24-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by padredw

That is the route I would take.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Thanks for the recommendations, I have considered the routes suggested and we are going by I25 north to I80 west to Rawlins for 1 night, then US287 to Moran Jct and north to Colter Village RV Park for 5 nights to sight see the Tetons. Then on to Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone for 2 weeks. Our grand daughters (ages 13 & 11) are flying out to see Yellowstone with us. Garry
Old 05-26-2012, 01:43 AM   #9
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Good Plan! I might mention that following that route we have been able to visit a couple of the sights in Yellowstone as we "pulled through" with the trailer from the South entrance to the West entrance. You may not wish to do so, but it is good to know that it is possible. We were even lucky enough to get a place to park near Old Faithful. West Thumb was easy, at least when we were there, plenty of RV parking.

OH! meant to say: Have a great time with your family, and hope you enjoy Colter Village as much as we did. On our last trip that was our destination, and we had an easy day trip into Yellowstone. We especially enjoyed the lake cruise at Colter Bay Marina, as we had an RV forum friend as captain of the boat.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #10
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Thanks David and Shirley, We will check out the lake cruise. We will have 19 days to see Tetons and Yellowstone. Our granddaughters are excited as are the grandparents. Garry
Old 05-27-2012, 03:48 AM   #11
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
You will enjoy Yellowstone and Grizzly RV Park with the family. Park is family oriented and a very nice park to stay in. Just outside the gate to Yellowstone. Some good food in West Yellowstone also.

We went into Yellowstone via the east gate and drove right thru the park from Cody WY. Another great spot to camp is in Ponderosa Campground in the town of Cody. Another must see as far as I am concerned, and don't forget the rodeo's every night there thru the summer.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:26 AM   #12
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
OK, this is for "Recumbent":

Some images from Colter Bay and lake cruise:

http://dwilliamson.com/Tetons/Tetons.html

Old 05-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #13
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Thanks PadredW, Also thanks to all for the input, we will be going to Glacier (hopefully Going To The Sun Road will be open) after Yellowstone then probably back down to eastern MT, WY, and SD to see DTower, Cody, Rushmore, Bighorn etc. Then work our way back south staying west of the Missippi. Got to be home by 7/21/12 for a wedding down in AL. Garry
Old 05-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #14
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
We will be in the Mt. Rushmore area (Custer's Gulch Campground) the week of September 9-13. Let us know if you happen to be in that area during that time. We will be coming up from Estes Park directly to Custer's Gulch and will head north on September 14 for North Dakota, before tuning back south through MN,Iowa,NE,KS, and OK on the way home

At Custer's Gulch we will be joining our SOB forum group for an informal rally.
Old 05-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
We will be long-gone, but will check out Custer's Gulch CG for our visit in that area.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:21 AM   #16
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I think you were a few days behind us getting to the Tetons. Hopefully you were behind the weather and not driving thru it like we did. We had a wonderful trip. Hope you are having the same.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:44 PM   #17
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
RickW, think I saw your rig in Colter Bay when we first got there, but next day it was gone. We came in over Bridger-Tetons on US 287 and the road was clear of snow, but deep on road side and in woods. The road was gravel for several miles with a wagon-train leader to take us though the maze at about 25mph. Already moved on to Yellowstone, and now about to go up the Glicier.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:59 AM   #18
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
I was in slot 60 at Colter Bay next to the bath rooms. The Monty was so dingy brown from the road dirt it almost blended in to the background. We left on Thursday 5/31 and headed up to Gardiner, MT (North Gate of Yellowstone) for 9 nights before heading home.

Enjoy Glacier it is also beautiful. If you have your passports cross over to Waterton. Also a pretty ride.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #19
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Recumbent, when you get back down in the devil's tower area, take a drive to Alladin Wy. Not to big of a city but theres a bikers restraunt there that has some really good things eats. Ive done breakfast and lunch there. Both were great. There's an old general store next door that has two floors of things to see. You can usally park the rig in front of the store with plenty of room. Enjoy.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #20
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Yes, "dingy brown" is right, and a dirty Monty will slow airflow and cut my milage. OK, Alladin, WY is now on our list. Will check out the restaurant and store next door. We recently enjoyed eating at the Roadkill Cafe, a biker type restaurant on Route 66, I think in Utah.