Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2007, 12:29 AM   #1
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Low Voltage outlet - help

I was attempting to hook up my computer to an outlet on the slide in my 3075RL and the computer cord which has protection built in wouldn't let any power to the computer. So, I checked the outlet to see if it was working and it registers on my multimeter 94Volts. Both sides of the outlet are the same. Another outlet on the same circuit shows 120Volts. I took out the outlet but discovered this is nothing like home. The wires slide into metal blades that cut into the insullation enough to make contact without cutting the wire. Needless to say I don't know what to do next. Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot this one would be appreciated. Thanks, John

gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:56 AM   #2
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Can you disconnect the plug and check the wires with your multimeter, perhaps the plug is bad. If the voltage is still low, trace the wire back to the previous plug and check the connections there, maybe a bad connection at that point. I agree with you about the plugs being different, I was quite surprised the first time I removed one.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:58 AM   #3
Sunnyside
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6859
If it is on the same circuit as the outlet that shows 120v, then it can be assumed that the circuit is fine. I would guess a bad connection in the outlet itself.

Turn power off to the circuit, take the cover off the back of the outlet, and make sure the wires have a good connection to the strips. If they appear good, it could be a defective outlet.

Try checking the resistance with an ohm meter between the from and back of the outlet, and between the good outlet and the bad one, with power off.

You can get the outlets at most camper dealers or online.

Jim
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:14 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Those crimped connections are throughout the camper, perhaps an attempt to prevent the wiring to shake loose when traveling or perhaps just "cost effective" Found a bad crimped connection in our sensor module causing a improper reading.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:08 AM   #5
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
If you are checking for voltage, are you testing hot blade to neutral blade in addition to hot blade to ground terminal? First things first, the plug is polarized meaning that the blades on the outlet are of different sizes. The small blade is the hot, the larger the neutral and the round terminal is ground.

When you look at it from the back side of the outlet you see three wires. The black wire should be the hot (120 VAC), the white wire the neutral and the green is ground. The white and green (or bare copper) wires should have no voltage on them when tested If you place your test leads on the white and ground and read voltage you have a problem and require a service call unless you're comfortable working with electricity.

OK, here's a solution and you need spousal support to turn off breakers and as a safety observer.

1. Turn off the breaker to the circuit to access the defective outlet.

2. Close the circuit breaker and with power applied, check the voltage at the wires on the defective outlet. If you have 120 VAC on the black and white wires your connection to that outlet is defective and an attempt of reconnection is possible.

3. Turn off the breaker and try to get the outlet's blades to cut through the wire's insulation.

4. Close the breaker and check for 120 VAC at the blades. If you have the correct voltage present your job is done!!
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote