Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-03-2007, 07:47 AM   #21
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Yep,
Another thing that hasn't helped is, in the last 35 or so years we lost a great ally in the fight against high gas/fuel prices. We use to have 10's of 1000's of independent Truckers. Remember the "Convoy's" and the gathering of Truckers on DC? Being independents they had to be together with us in the fight. We have lost these Ind. Truckers to the big Trucking Co's., that can simply add in the cost of higher fuel prices to the consumer.

That hurt losing them.

Terrorist have made several attempts at knocking out the supply in Saudi. One of these days their going to get lucky. Then we're in BIG trouble. I seem to remember something on the News awhile back that said our "Strategic Oil Reserve" was less than a 30 day supply.
I guess we all should have some kind of plan ready for ourselves and families. Not a fun thought.

azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 03:07 PM   #22
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
By the way, the strategic reserve is not for the civilian driving population but for military jet fuel, tank fuel, etc. One more thing, this current president has been admonished for adding to the reserve by guess what party?
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:22 AM   #23
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
Well now guess I may have to smell like a french fry going down the road. Maybe the time has come to use recycled vegtable oil bio diesel. We will deal with it as the time comes. Funny that here in TX the cost of diesel is cheaper than gas. Does anyone know why that is? Could it be that the infastructure of transportation would collapse resulting mass kaos because people are not getting their food and supplies? Something to ponder...... I see history repeating itself from the late 70's jacked the prices up 3 fold then came back on third to make people feel they were getting a good deal again. Just happy that I am not a boat owner now, have to second mortgage the Monty to buy fuel...LOL !!

Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:40 AM   #24
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Could it be that those "in charge" are from Texas. Not wanting to get political here.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:51 PM   #25
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Made it to Santa Rosa CA. Diesel is ~2.99. Regular unleaded is $3.40.

I remember a gas war in Oklahoma City back in the 60's. One station was selling regular gas for $.19 cents and the station across the street was selling gas for $.18 cents.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #26
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Flash..The folks who are primarily responsible for the high cost of fuel.....are us.. Supply and demand and we demand, demand , demand, Look around you at the traffic jams in near every city large and small. Most of us have 2 or 3 vehicles and we as Rv'ers are among the worst of the lot..we drive huge gas guzzlers and we won't let the price of fuel bother us, no sir, we won't..we will just keep on adding to the demand and blame everyone else for the problem. we can blame the Moderates, Liberals, President, OPEC, EPA,sure we can..but..we have met the enemey..and he is us..Now I need to go fuel my V-10 at 3.199 per gallon cause we are going camping this week..not going to let the price of fuel bother me none.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 02:39 PM   #27
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chuck and Carol

Could it be that those "in charge" are from Texas. Not wanting to get political here.
Oil prices are set by OPEC and by commodities brokers in Chicago and New York City, not ANY federal government be it Republican or Democrat. Fuel prices are, however, impacted by fuel taxes. The largest per gallon fuel taxes are set by New York ($0.63), Massachusetts ($0.43) and California ($0.60) which are predominantly liberal strongholds.

That being said, I did fill up yesterday in Abilene Texas for $2.71 a gallon Diesel ($0.38).
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:28 PM   #28
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Far be it from me to interject some fact here but this may be of some interest.
http://www.wtrg.com/prices.htm

Also note that oil closed Friday at 61.93 down 1.26 and the price of a gallon of unleaded gas gas down 3 cents at 2.22 per gal.both for delivery June 7th 07. You see as the price of fuel gets unreasonably high folks buy less fuel, demand goes down, supply goes up. This is also of some interest. http://beginnersinvest.about.com/cs/...ommodities.htm.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:56 PM   #29
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I think Rich hit it on the head....As for my rig, well I am going to plan and route all my trips DOWN HILL.. See you in Branson. John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 06:41 PM   #30
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Lodi,Ca yesterday diesel 2.85. Today in Eureka, CA 3.15 (on the coast) gas is 3.47 I think.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 08:23 PM   #31
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
Yes Oil is down but the price of fuel around here is 55 to 60 cents higher then the last time it was at 61 dollars. But in looking around closer I noticed that the different names of fuel brands around here is also down from 7 to just three. So where is the fed. tell me these mergers are not again the anti monopoly regs that used to be. Price of oil goes down to 61 and the same day they raise fuel 19 cents. Yet where is the out cry in the news or the papers. not a peep. And like what was said the truckers pass the cost per gallon to the receivers so we get hit, Higher fuel higher everything. But my brother in-law is loving it. He gets anything over 1.50 back as that is what they use for the cost they base the charges on.
keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:45 PM   #32
Tom Gina 06
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5993
So much for cheaper fuel in TX! Diesel just caught up to gas yesterday. Jumped .30 cents a gallon. Bummer!!! But as Rich said supply and demand...... Sure does justify my Harley for the short trips not to mention a blast to ride!
Tom Gina 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:18 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The lower price of oil/gas traded last week will not be reflected for about a month( according to theory) The high prices we see now are the result of trading about a month ago. Other factors impact the price such as supply and demand. This time of the year demand goes up as folks begin to take to the roads, supply goes down,,,price goes up. You can look at all the numbers here and perhaps bust some myths. http://www.eia.doe.gov/ It may come as a shock to some that OPEC does not supply the majority of our oil.A review of how the commodities market works is also educational.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:12 AM   #34
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Our diesel is staying just shy of $3, but regular is over $3.40 in southern Oregon. If any of you are traveling over the CA border into Oregon this summer, beware of the price gouging at the last Ashland exit before heading further north. Their diesel is running over $3.40 a gallon but the next exit is at least 40 cents a gallon cheaper.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 06:53 AM   #35
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
We found the gouging in Williams, AZ also. Prices near the interstate were $3.69 for diesel. There's a Circle K in town where we paid just over $3. Also, prices were lower in Flagstaff than in Williams. This was 2 weeks ago.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:08 AM   #36
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
I agree with Rich on the law of supply and demand. The price is not affecting out camping plans....we are demanding that we need. However, instead of driving my nice truck or SUV to work everyday (38 mi one way), I drive my 1987 Nissan Sentra with 178,000 miles on it. It easily gets double the gas milage of my other vehicles at 32.5-34 MPG.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 07:15 AM   #37
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
I drive my car only when we run out of bread or milk. If we don't have it in the house, we don't need it.
The truck doesn't get driven at all when we are home. Just my Blazer. Condense all our errands.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 04:20 PM   #38
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
know Which country imports the most oil to the good old USA.. We had better be nice to these folks.If they get upset with us we could be in big trouble..Which OPEC country is it...answer..none of them..it is our neighbors to the North.. Canada.
More education..

http://www.gravmag.com/oil.html
Old 05-08-2007, 05:17 PM   #39
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Wow, everyone sounds so rational! I can't see where the price of fuel is rational at all. By announcing that the price of fuel will reach $4.00, you can sure bet that it will. It is all manipulated--remember the obscene profits the oil cmpanies continue to make. The oil companies don't want any new refineries or there would be new refineries. It is so much easier to limit supply with so few refineries---want more profit, just take some off line for maintenance.

From my reading of the vast amount of "stuff" that is out there regarding fuel, the only real answer is bio-diesel. Methenol is joke and costs more in energy to produce and is increasing prices for most food products as corn is turned into an energy supply. Bio-diesel needs some more research to perfect and could stand some funding, public or private. Bio-diesel is very clean and can be extremely fuel efficient, just check out what the Europeans are doing with small diesel engines in their vehicles, think one goes 0-60 in 4.3 seconds. Without being pro-active in resolving the fuel situation, we'll all be willing to pay anything for the last gallon of gas.

I would like to see a push to get B-20 diesel all over the US instead of methenol although anything that is renewable is OK by me. That would save 20% of the amount of oil that is currently refined into diesel and we would have better running diesels and the air would be much cleaner. BTW, we're in Louisville KY area and diesel is cheaper than gas. Paid $2.59 to fill up today, but the prices for diesel is going up and gas is about $3.00/gal.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:16 AM   #40
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
I don't know if this would make sense or would have any effect, but how about we should all boycott two large oil companies, such as Exxon and Mobile. Still continue to buy our oil and diesel at other stations because in our hearts we know we are not going to stop. But I am talking about a mass movement from coast to coast to these two above oil companies. They would surely make some kind of price reduction, reaction, or maybe start a good old fashion gas war.
We all read there quarterly extremely crazy profit reports and I do not think they would stand for a reduction for to long of a period. Hit it where it hurts them the most MONEY the only thing they really care about.
Just a thought and maybe wishful thinking on my part, but God there has to be something us consumers can start to stop this escalation.

Jon
Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote