Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2007, 04:22 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Got troubles with that new Monty???

Back in Sept of 03 we purchased our first Montana and in October we put it thru a rigorous testing that lasted 3 years and 4 months of our new full timing lifestyle. In the very early stages of that time frame we encountered but one problem. That was a shower door that dragged every time you opened it. Well after 4 dealers trying to fix it and finally Keystone replacing the entire glass enclosure we still had the problem. Being some what disgusted I took a closer look and I finally figured it out for myself. The enclosure was pulling away from the wall due to a stripped screw. That was the extent of problems for our old 2955RL.

Now we have our new 3485SA just 3 weeks and I have not been surprised. Montana has not let me down nor has the dealer Sun Coast RV here in Pinellas Park. After 3 weeks of going through this rig inside and out, from top to bottom, from pin box to ladder I have only encountered one MINOR problem. One of the cabinet doors above the sofa had 4 stripped screws. This had been reported to the dealer but apparently forgotten. I fixed that problem myself in under 5 minutes.

The rig did arrive at the RV show without the new sofa and I am still waiting for it. I am not at all worried as I know I will eventually get it even if I have to wait until September and have it swapped out at the plant.

Lorraine and I are VERY pleased with everything about this new rig and I commend Montana for building the best darn RV in the entire industry.

BTW-What am I going to do with all the empty spaces I now have? We did lose some cabinet space in the bedroom but the empty W/D cabinet more than made up for it. The cabinets above the recliners are like Mother Hubbard's cupboard, BARE. The basement is only about 2/3rds full. What to do, what to do. Some predicament I've gotten myself into!

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 04:31 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Great report, Glenn! So glad the new rig is working so well for you folks. I have some stuff you could store in those empty spaces!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 06:46 AM   #3
SKOOBDO
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5293
I'm happy to hear about your satisfaction with your new unit. I'm sure you'll find something to put in the empty spaces...sooner or later. I have some empty cabinets also...mainly in the den area. But, I'm glad I have the extra space just in case. It's nice to hear positive reports. Have fun with your new Monty!
SKOOBDO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:18 AM   #4
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
OK, we have the same model my cupboards are not completely full -- but getting there. Wonder what I carry that I don't really need??
I know we carry enough clothes for six seasons if there were six seasons.
You got room in your bays??? Chuck must carry extra stuff too. Maybe we are just pack rats.

Carol

We had a loose fitting cupboard door and they put a botton latch on it to firmly hold it.
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:56 AM   #5
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Glad your enjoying the new rig so much. Like you I have an 03 model monty, mine is 3280 and waiting for a 3400RL. We also have had no problems with our 'Apartment".
Keystone makes a fine product in the Ontana, and I hav no doubts that we will be as impressed with the new one as we have been wit this one.
You can always go to Wally World and give Lorraine all the ccredit cards and buy a magazine and just wait...... welllll,,,maybe
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:58 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We also are very pleased with our Montana but our story is a bit different..Back in May of 06 we took delivery of our 3400 and have since then put it though rigorous testing that has lasted over 9 months including the present trip which began Dec 12 and has included pulling over 3000 miles in all kind of terrain. In that time we have encountered but 17 significant problems the worst of which was our "isolated incident" otherwise known as "the meltdown" that required the re wiring of a significant portion of the camper and the latest being the " sewer smell" that invades the camper when we operate the Fantastic fan.Keystone has been very responsive and co-operative and we have a appointment April 16th at the service center to correct our Hopefully not growing list of significant issues. In our case Montana has thus far been 17 significant problems short of the best darn camper in the industry..but they are striving to make it so.. and we are satisfied.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 09:09 AM   #7
GlobalDouglas
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6376
Glenn, glad all is going well with the new rig! Thanks for the nice report. I've read many posts regarding problems with Montanas (this is a great place to ask for solutions!!) and have actually questioned if I made the right choice about buying my 3400. After reading your post I feel less anxiety and more excitment about my 3400 and living in it for the summer. THANKS!
GlobalDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:23 PM   #8
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I have the same problem you have, Glenn. All my cabinets over the kitchen table, sofa and recliners are virtually empty.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:16 PM   #9
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
Our 3475RL (2006) is our first RV. We have gone on one extended trip of 10 weeks and many 1 to 2 week trips. We have never used all the storage! In fact we usually forget where things are because there is so much room! What a problem! We are really satisfied and are getting ready for about 4 to 5 months on the road this spring, summer and fall.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 01:28 PM   #10
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Glenn, it is very comforting to hear such great stories about people being satisfied with their Montanas! And knowing you are the one should make the factory take note. You are the person not afraid to tell it like is and I'm sure you are doing just that! Great job Keystone!!!!!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:53 PM   #11
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Glenn your question was "trouble with that new Monty". Well yes I got troubles. It is stuck in a snow bank beside the house and I am not using it!!!! And I am so sorry that your biggest problem is too much space.
I know you are enjoying the heck out of that new Monty. Yep sometimes things just roll your way in life.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 11:46 PM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Chuck and Carol

OK, we have the same model my cupboards are not completely full -- but getting there. Wonder what I carry that I don't really need??
I know we carry enough clothes for six seasons if there were six seasons.
You got room in your bays??? Chuck must carry extra stuff too. Maybe we are just pack rats.
Carol

We had a loose fitting cupboard door and they put a botton latch on it to firmly hold it.
Carol, I guess I'll have to teach you the steps on how to get rid of that unnecessary "STUFF" when we see you in Nashville.
Until than step one in eliminating "STUFF" is quite simple.
Other than seasonal items, if you ain't used it in the past 30 days you don't need it. As we were preparing for the switch from the old to the new Monty Lorraine and I put that step into action. Hope Rescue Mission was the recipient of some really nice "STUFF"
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GlobalDouglas

Glenn, glad all is going well with the new rig! Thanks for the nice report. I've read many posts regarding problems with Montanas (this is a great place to ask for solutions!!) and have actually questioned if I made the right choice about buying my 3400. After reading your post I feel less anxiety and more excitment about my 3400 and living in it for the summer. THANKS!
Douglas, have no fear in your choice. Lorraine and I are so confident in our choice of the Montana line that we didn't even consider any other brand. In the over 3 years of being a Monty owner myself and being a member of the MOC has only taught me one thing. Montana builds the finest rigs. Yes, they do put out that bad one once in awhile put they all do. In a Montana you get a lot more 'bang for your buck' than any other manufacturer offers, bar none. Keystone also stands behind their product. This very fact has been proven time again at the MOC Rally held in Goshen each September. More than once we have witnessed MOCers with out of warranty problems getting them fixed free of any charges. Some of these problems weren't even a manufacturer's defect but rather the part just wore out do to normal usage.
Rest easy Douglas, you made the right choice.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:44 AM   #13
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Glenn,

You need to go to some yard sales! Congrats on the new rig.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:26 AM   #14
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Glenn, great news that your new 3400 meets your expectations and I feel strongly that the Montanas beat the competition hands down. I have gone through high line Canadian models costing much more than a Montana and the Canadian models pale in comparison. I feel that Keystone gives more value to the RV consumer than any other RV maker in North America.
I wish you many great years in your new Montana.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 05:53 AM   #15
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
One of the things you may consider carrying in the empty spaces, is the money that you SAVED and will continue to save, since you bought your Keystone product. Sure beats a $180,000.00 moho and toad, or a $165,000.00 Teton, Travel Supreme etc and a new truck or MDT to pull em with for $85,000.00.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:30 AM   #16
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Wellll. If I had the bucks to buy a 165K Teton and a 85K MDT I would be having them.. As it is we had the bucks to buy what we got and feel we did very well..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:11 AM   #17
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We have been very happy with our new 3400 we got in december. we have been parked and I read all the posts about problems and then check ours and as of yet none So if I cant travel now I will have all the bug out by reading and checking and rewireing and repluming and re-everything you all find wrong. But so far WE IN GOOD SHAPE, LOVE IT.
Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:22 AM   #18
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Wellll. If I had the bucks to buy a 165K Teton and a 85K MDT I would be having them.. As it is we had the bucks to buy what we got and feel we did very well..
Wellll! If I had the bucks to afford the Escalade, or the Teton or any of the ridiculously high priced with all the eye candy and little else rigs and a big ole GMC 5500 D/A. I'd still buy my Montana and tow it with my 2500HD D/A GMC. I'd also buy each of my daughters new Montys and TVs and use the rest of the money to just have fun.
Here in the park I have been through a new Teton and 2 Escalades (1 a toy hauler) and with the exception of tons of eye candy I could find very little in quality or fit and finish to convince me they were worth significantly more $$$$$.$$ than my Monty.
In my opinion these over priced rigs just prove the old adage "A fool and his money are soon parted"
Old 02-27-2007, 07:41 AM   #19
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Happy to hear your new Monty is trouble free. We also have had only a couple of minor things in our 2004 Monty.
We love our Monty but thinking seriously of trading in on a new Monty. Probably the 3400 or the 3485.

You two enjoy that new Montana!!
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 04:42 PM   #20
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Glenn,

I'm glad to hear that your new coach is living up to your expectations. We have been very happy with our '03 Mountaineer by Montana. Hopefully we'll get many more years of trouble free service from this coach, as I hope you do too.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote