Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2007, 10:14 AM   #1
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
Hauling 4 wheeler on back of my fifth wheel camper

I am considering having a platform rig built to haul a 500 lb. four wheeler on the back of my 36 foot fifth wheel. I have at least a 3600 lb. pin weight as well. The welder who will build this has built one for his fifth wheel for a handicap scooter without a problem. He will put a 2 inch receiver on each frame rail to accept the platform so it can be removed. Has anyone out there done this or something like this? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated!
Thanks

Also posted on RV.net

kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:28 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
It can and has been done and it will void your frame warranty.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:37 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Most of the responses will be..that will void your warranty or..that is a unsafe thing to do..maybe so..however..here in the West and Southwest that apparently does not apply as I have seen everything being towed behind campers of every make and model. Seems like every Rv'er here in Arizona has some kind of a off road vehicle and they haul them behind or on the rear of their campers.My favorite was a long bed dually, pulling a large 5th wheel pulling a Jeep Cherokee with a flat bed hooked to it with 2 large ATV's on board. I am having a hitch welded on the back of my 3400 to hang our mountain bikes on.That's it....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 10:50 AM   #4
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
Thanks all for the quick replies. I am new to this forum and will be here daily from now on.
Richfaa, I just got back from AZ this fall and loved it! You are right about the toys and the RV's. The most RV's anywhere I've seems to be the northwest in Washington state. The most toys the southwest.
I don't want the double pull with a small trailer behind me as it is illegal here although I've seen it done.
I wanted to find if someone had put a platform/rack on a Montana. The metal on the C channel frame back there is not very thick. It would have to be reinforced of course.

Again anybody with experience doing the platform on their Montana?
Thanks!
Old 01-22-2007, 03:01 PM   #5
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I recently talked to and saw a very unhappy Montana owner that was on his way to Aransas Pass, Tx. from Illinois for the winter. He was towing an 18' bass boat behind a 3000RK. The hitch had broken where it was welded to the frame. Not certain if there was frame damage but he could not let his rear stands out. He was detouring to San Antonio to try to get the mess fixed. Had to make other arrangements for the boat.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 04:44 PM   #6
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
I am thinking small 6x8 trailer now.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:30 PM   #7
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
If you do that, everyone will want one! Now I want a four wheeler! LOL!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 02:03 AM   #8
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
kmh3212

Here we are with this can of worms again . IF you decide to install a hitch on the back of your Montana to pull a small trailer, you must be prepared to accept the possible consequences. The safety of you and others on the road is of utmost importance, then comes the possibility of frame damage, and lots of feedback from concerned friends here on the forum.

All that being said, go to the Members Rigs page and look at my photo. I pull a small trailer to haul my Ranger or 4 Wheeler, and will also pull my boat ( not at the same time of course ). The tongue weight is very critical when doing this, you should never exceed 250 lbs. The tongue weight on my boat is around 100 lbs, as I can easily lift it by hand, the Ranger trailer, with the Ranger on it is around 150 and more difficult. Doing this is a choice I made. I am aware of the possible problems, and I am capable of making any repairs that may be needed as a result of my choice, should the warranty in fact be void.

I am in no way advocating pulling a second trailer, that is a decision only you can make, I'm just passing along what I have done.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:33 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I had a hitch company make me a kit to fit on my Monte, I installed it myself, I drilled the frame, didn't weld it, bolted it together. I just haul bikes on mine, but it is fairly robust, and would work for a trailer. I would not hang any weight over 200 or maybe 300 pounds at the most, the frame I beams are just too small.
Check my Ozz's mods for pictures of the install-they are in there somewhere.
Good luck, this is a common item on every one's 'wish list'
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 11:47 AM   #10
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
According to the Aeronautical Engineer buddy of mine who helped me design several hitches for my past and present 5th wheeler, tells me the 10" I beam of the Monty is plenty strong to haul/lift/tow a considerable weight. However, that is not necessarily the most significant consideration. As others have said, being safe, making sure that unfortunate things do not happen, making sure that the whole mess can be stopped safely, etc. are of most importance.

I have towed/hauled a number of different trailers and trailer extensions without frame problems or mishaps. But as an engineer myself, I try to take the upmost of care and consideration when doing so. On the other hand, I have seen things being towed and hauled on the nation's highways that scare the heck out of me. If you are not sure or know someone with sufficient knowledge to check out what you are trying to do, then don't do it.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:47 AM   #11
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Something that must be considered, is the added weight that will be put on the axle's.

If you build a platform and add it to the rear of your rig, you'll really need think about this total weight which in this case lets say could be 700 lbs. (4wheeler 500 and platform 200).

This 700 lbs. being cantilevered off the back of your rig will remove some pin weight. Let's say half or 350 lbs. Sounds like a good thing right? However this loss of pin weight doesn't disappear, it needs to be added together with the weight of the 4wheeler and its platform.

We now have a total new added weight to your axles of 1050 lbs. Can your Rigs springs, axles, wheels and tires take another 1000+ lbs.?

You also need to remember that this overhung load is a "Mass in Motion". This means as your going over say a RR crossing the load delivered to the axles and other, is greatly increased.

A little more food for thought.

Happy camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 03:53 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I think I'd do some second thinking about this. With a voided frame warranty, is it worth taking the chance of the installation of a hitch? A lot of people have done it, but I'd always be thinking about the possibility of problem and I wouldn't enjoy the travel.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:40 AM   #13
PAIC 01
Established Member

M.O.C. #6429
kmh3212

Look at these two sites, the swivel wheel system is something you could use as a form of platform for your 4-wheeler. I am looking into it for a golf cart. I have seen one in Myrtle beach and it is quite impressive.

http://www.motorcyclecarrier.net/index.html
http://www.cruiserlift.com/index.htm

jpp
PAIC 01 is offline   Reply With Quote