Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2006, 05:14 AM   #41
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
My shower is caulked along the entire top of the surround, it is the bottom "overlap" that is not. Wow, you can get two fingers behind there? Sounds like something needs to be addressed quick. You are correct, more than a little moisture from using the shower will get behind there with that much play in the surround on the top end.

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:45 AM   #42
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes Dave There is nothing around the entire top.Can pull it away from the wall.These are really great units.I am more and more impressed with this 3400 the more I examine it..however.. a little more training for the assembly line guys and a bit more attention to detail and just a little quality control and these would be outstanding units. It is the same with those huge holes under the tub (check yours) were the pipes go down to the side compartment.The...well if it leaks it has got to drain somewhere , story is ridicules..With a proper drain and seal, proper shower enclosure and caulking ...It won't leak...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 10:27 AM   #43
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rich,
Thanks for the heads up, I have not noticed any leaking from the shower yet, but will sure check this again tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:26 AM   #44
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave..just pull the panels at the base of your tub and check around down there.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:14 PM   #45
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Dave, while your under there make sure all of the fittings are tight, and that the drain fitting are also tight then go into the storage area and tighten all of the fitting you can find.
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 05:32 PM   #46
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Send a message via AIM to ragdoll Send a message via MSN to ragdoll
Dave, would have been nice if the pan had of had that high of a lip - ours had been cut down to 1" - don't know how it leaked in the basement and only caught it when hubby was loading and I was showering and it dripped on his head. Bitten once you tend to want to over chaulk, ours is chaulked at top and made sure they used enough double tape on walls - opening in corner were it curves. After we got the new shower our first trip we did have them forget to tighten the drain which caused leaking into basement again but easy fix.

Colleen, hope all goes well at your signing............so exciting!!! I also wish they would go to a better insert but if we don't trade it and it needs a new shower we will look for a one piece unit.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:41 PM   #47
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am amazed that so many of you have had shower leaks. This is my 3rd summer in my coach and I have not found any leaks yet, tomorrow I will go in the basement while shower is running to double check everything.
Old 06-01-2006, 06:35 PM   #48
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Dave, just remember a lot don't have a bit of trouble. I think ours was made on Monday or Friday - can't remember which - if we trade up will make sure next one isn't. LOL

Safe travels. See all at rally.
Lorraine
Old 06-01-2006, 07:18 PM   #49
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
ragdoll,
You are correct, mine is one of those that has not had any major issues. The biggest problem is the darn Quest unit, I am on my 3rd one now. I am truly blessed to not have had any thing happen other then a few adjustments to drawers, and the main a/c needed to have the return air box resealed. I am amazed each day as I read some of the problems our members are having, just reminds me of the things I need to be greatful for. =)
Old 06-02-2006, 05:14 AM   #50
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Just went and double checked the shower and No Leaks! Thanks to all for the heads up on this potential problem, I will keep an eye on it in the future.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:38 PM   #51
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Dave, that is wonderful to hear. This is probably a stupid question but what is a Quest unit? Apparently, we don't have one or I would know. Have been busy getting things done so we can be ready to leave the 28th.

Safe travels.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:14 AM   #52
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Quest is the junkie stereo system that these units come with. You would think that Keystone could have found a replacement by now. It's the one major change needed that is so obvious but so ignored.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 04:04 PM   #53
ragdoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #235
Thanks Judy - we have pretty good luck with our stereo, I looked at it but tonight for the life of me I can't remember what it is. I just went and looked guess we lucked out we have an RCA RS1285 and works well - I just wish I could turn off the bedroom speakers, haven't figured that out yet. We don't use it much.

Safe travels.
Lorraine
Old 06-07-2006, 04:24 AM   #54
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
This shower leak thing is ridicules..Is it caulked at the top, bottom, one or the other. After doing a little research and asking a few questions of folks who should know, like contractors . The general consensus is that in order to prevent mold and mildew the primary thing you need to do is prevent leaks and water from getting under the tub or between the walls.We do note there is no moisture barrier between the wall and the enclosure like green board,plastic sheeting, etc in fact on our 3400 the enclosure is not even glued to the wall but held in place by 9 plastic screws. Our enclosure was improperly fitted around the top and bottom corner and bulged in several places..it was caulked around the bottom but because of the improper fit the caulking did nothing. Anyhow we are going with the..keep the water out..we already had the dealer replace the shower drain with a better one with a real seal and we have done a really good caulk job all the way around the enclosure.Mold and mildew are a special problem in a Rv because of the enviroment it lives in and we need to take the proper precautions to prevent it. IMHO I don't think allowing water to run down between the shower enclosure walls is one of them..This is what we decided to do it is not a recommendation that anyone do the same....
Old 06-07-2006, 04:56 AM   #55
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I have done a fair amount of plumbing in my life and I was not happy to see that Keystone is still using plumbers's putty. When I plumbed my house ( still living here ) 28 years ago I used silicone under the drains. Having said that, I have not had a leak any where on my Montana. I had wanted to redo the shower drain with silicone before I left on my trip but the drain is right next to one of the aluminum frame members that support my bedroom floor and it won't be a real simple job do. The drain is right over my basement storage and I kept an eye on it . 88 showers later, no leaks so I will keep watching it. These Montanas are all different and we can not assume that because one problem has kept cropping up , it is universal.
For example, I acknowledge that many many people have found the remote control thermostat to be a piece of junk. On our 7 week trip we had weather from 24 F to 90 F and we were happy with the way our system worked. We just leave the control in it's holder.
At 24 F, I could sit by the window in a T shirt and feel no draft so I am very pleased with my double pane windows. The quest system that has annoyed so many sounds great to me.
My hearing has been damaged by 40 years in heavy industry so that a cheap portable radio sounds about as good as an expensive stereo system but my 18 year old son who is an audiophile came out to the Fiver with his crazy music and he gave the Quest a 6 out of 10 rating, not that shabby.

My only complaint with my 2955RL is that the rear step hangs too low and I am happy with the way the unit sits on my tall F350 4x4. It is slightly high in the front end but very comfortable to live in while hitched up so I bought a new two step stair for my Monty and it works fine on a level site where my 3 stair bottom step was only a couple inches off the ground. If the campground is sloped I will put a small step stool out. I am going to keep the 3 step unit in case we ever set up for long periods of time but it was a pain removing it while we travelled .

Rich, we went out to a dealer yesterday and went through a new 3400 like yours. They truly are a beautiful model and I like the new lightweight sink covers that the newer 06 S have.

The front nose piece helps out short box owners but style wise I see no improvement and I guess the mirror is for people with neck problems and can't turn around. Hope I never need it.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 07:06 AM   #56
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If you go to a mor-ryde pin box which is a extended pin box the mirror is useless.Our quest unit works perfectly and like Wrenchtraveller I have hearing damage, Hi freq hearing lose, from being around airplanes engines and electronic equipment for 37 years and 7 months.we never had a shower leak..just attempting never to have one.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:01 AM   #57
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
Wrenchtraveller, Where did you get the two step stair? I was thinking about doing that. I don't have an extended pin box and the mirror is the wrong angle! All I can see is the middle of the pinbox.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:02 AM   #58
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I bought it at Peden's RV in Victoria but any RV supply will order one for you. I am very happy with it and I have gained over 7 inches of clearance. Right now in my driveway I have lowered the front of my unit down to start removing 7 weeks of bug guts on my cap. Even with the front end way down my two step stairway works fine and with my unit level it is great. I did nothing to alter the bracket and I can put my old 3 step back on any time I want. I will post a picture for you in the next couple of days, just too busy now. There are some 2 step units out there that hang down as far as our 3 step ones do so you need the one that the bottom step folds in and then the two of them lift up and slide. These are very common on travel trailers more than fivers.
It says Elkhart Industries on the stairs.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 11:01 AM   #59
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fulltimedreamer

We visited our local Montana Dealer yesterday and had a fun time walking through the coaches. I had hoped to show my wife the 3500 and 3400, but alas not one on the lot. She did like the 3650RK. We're not in the market as we are happy with the Mountaineer TT. Later in the day, we went to see RV at the theater. I don't know when I have laughed so much!!
Lamar, You might already know this, but if your local dealer is Camper City in Buford, they had a couple of 3400s in stock last week when we went by.
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote