Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-22-2005, 03:59 AM   #1
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
MEXICO

MOBILRVN How does one go about getting papers for travel in Mexico? Does the Monty rquire a different set of papers, how bout the TV, I know passports are required, (I think). How are the people down there?

Never been there, and your post abut how to stay busy just set my mind a buzzin' with possibilities!
Thanks for the Info
Rick T

rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:17 AM   #2
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Rick,
I cannot help you with your questions. For all considering a Mexico visit, use caution. Particularly the Laredo,TX area, lots of trouble in that area.

Weldon
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 06:26 AM   #3
tweir
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #572
Rick,
There are different rules for different parts of Mexico. The rules for Mainland Mexico differ from Baja (where we go all of the time). Briefly, here is a quick-n-dirty "laundry list:
1. You will need insurance on both vehicles. No matter what your insurance company says, the law in Mexico states that insurance MUST be issued by a Mexican licensed Insurance company. I would suggest getting the "legal" suppliament on the policy...just in case....! Remember, in Mexico you must prove your innocence; not the other party proving your guilt.
2. If either of your vehicles is not title-free, you must have a notorized letter from the lienholders indicating its OK to take your vehicle(s)into Mexico. The letter must contain the year, make, model, VIN and the dates of your travel. We usually get our for a 1 year period as the banker is a personal friend of ours and we go down to Baja very frequently.
3. There are "border regions" (the Mexican States that border the US and are within 75 miles of the US border)that do not require a "Vistor's Visa". You must obtain a Vistor's Visa (a) if you plan on travelling more than 75 miles into Mexico and (b) if your stay or time in Mexico is longer than 72 hours. These are good for 6 months (make sure you specify 6 months or the folks sometimes issue the document just for the duration of your stay. These cost about 20 bucks each.
4. If you are taking pets, make sure you have the rabies vaccination papers with you---mainly to get BACK into the States.
5. No firearms, ammunition,or explosives of any kind. If you get caught, you will become the guest of the Mexican Government for an unspecified amount of time...!
6. I think there is a limit on the amount of alcohol & tobacco products you can take into Mexico---but I'm not sure of the quantities.
7. US Customs treats US citizens like they are not US citizens at times---guess it depends on the "Alert" status. Had some pretty nasty US Customs officers give me a bad time---got even (I guess) through my Congressman....!
8. here is real good website that can answer most if not all of your questions:
http://www.instant-mex-auto-insur.com/
9. We love Baja and made some really good friends down there. I guess its the same anywhere you go---treat others with respect and honesty and you'll be OK. The fishing is great on the Sea of Cortez and there is so much stuff to see & do.
10. Here is some info on san Felipe---neat place:

http://www.bajaquest.com/sanfelipe/baja13b.htm
tweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 07:07 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Found this while surfing for new links....Traveling To Mexico

Have also added it to the links page in the Snowbird section.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 01:13 PM   #5
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Here is a good site to find answers about Mexico.
Baja RV Parks
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2005, 04:00 PM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Rick,
For a very good book on rving Mexico go to www.rollinghomes.com We bought one of these befored our trip to Baja and loved it.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 12:33 PM   #7
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for all the great info. I still don't feel safe in Mexico. Perhaps if I travel with a group.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 03:56 PM   #8
thook
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3100
Go to the RV.net forum and select the "traveling in Mexico and South America" forum. Lots of info on traveling in Mexico. There is one especially long thread, 34 pages in fact that a couple traveling all through Mexico in a motorhome started.
Here is the URL.
Baja Travel

All you ever wanted to know and sounds like they had a very safe trip even though they traveled alone.
thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 12:53 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks, everybody, for the great links to info on Mexico. We've always thought that traveling with a group deep into Mexico would be the way to go.

By the way, great blogspot, Tom and Sherry!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 12:27 PM   #10
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Rickety, sorry but we have been offline for a bit. One of the things about using internet cafes in Mexico is that most of them don't like the MOC site. We are currently in Guerrero Negro just across the Baja California Sur border. Our neighbors have Directway with wireless, so can catch up a bit. What Tweir laid out is very good in a nutshell. Buy the Churches book, "A Traveler's Guide to Mexican Camping". It is the best, has all the info on crossings, campgrounds, and some sights to see. www.rollinghomes.com

This year we are doing the Baja again--first time we have been back in seven years. Some changes, mostly for the better. Diesel is running a little less than $2.00/gal. CG prices are up about 50% from our last trip, about the same as the US, but the people are great and it isn't raining. Can wear shorts and Tee shirts again. Again, we travel alone and feel safer here than in the US. Having grey hair helps. The roads haven't improved very much, but you just have to drive them like you find them and don't try to drive too far at a time. It may be more stressful than in the US (think it is far worse in places like LA) and you need to stay alert for the unexpected. In the Baja, the traffic is lighter, so it isn't anything to worry about---just go with the flow. So far on this trip our TV dish won't work, the refigerator died and the slideout broke; we are watching Mexican TV (maybe we'll learn a few Spanish words), the refrigerator is now an icebox and I repaired the slideout. As we say, we have adventures and we have misadventures---always hope for more adventures than misadventures.

If you or anyone else has any specific questions about RVing in Mexico, just email us at mobilrvn@pocketmail.com---just don't expect an immediate reply because we're have too much fun!
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:13 PM   #11
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We are at Rocky Point ( Puerto Penasco, Senora, Mexico.) It is beautiful. Very quiet and a wonderful place. We planned on staying for a week. Might change it to a month. Thanks Dennis and Mary Kay. We love it. We have updated our web site and will continue it daily as long as we are having the time of our lives. Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 01:27 AM   #12
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Helen and Bill,
So glad you made it down to Puerto Penasco. Nice little town isn't it! Where are you staying? And did you have any trouble getting in? If you're staying in town have you been out west of town yet? If not could you please check out the area just west of the huge condos and just east of the RV park out there. There should be a spot down on the beach where you can dry camp for $5 per day. But they were talking about closing that off when the condos were completed. Don't know how the building on them was going.

Anyway sounds like you are having fun. Just for fun you need to take a drive east of town right along the coast to see all the housing development going on out that way. There are some mansions out there. Mostly owned by retired US folks. OK... See you later.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 05:06 AM   #13
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Dennis, I can't thank you enough for your suggestions on getting here. We never in a million years had planned this trip until I read what you wrote about the area. Just loved Organ Pipe campground too. It was great. We are staying at the Playa Bonita RV Resort. We just love our back yard. This morning we had about seven Dolphin putting on a show for us. . We were stopped at the border and the nice man had us open the basement and the front door. He poked his head in but did not even have us open the slides. Think he just wanted to check out our decor. So far we have not left the campground except to walk to the hotel and back but we will be checking out the entire area today. There is condo construction going on all over the place. Won't be long and I'm sure these RV sites will be bought up by some big builders.

If you read our journey early this am go back and re-read it. I had so much trouble staying on line last night that I left a bunch of stuff out. I had typed things in but hadn't saved it and then would get kicked off. Anyway it should make more sense now. I will be updating our blog every day that we are here just because it is such a special place. Thanks again for the heads up on this place. See you soon in Q. Helen
Old 12-09-2005, 06:24 AM   #14
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Since we are first-timers to Mexico, we are taking a tour with 22 other RV's including 5 days on a flatcar through the Copper canyon. After this trip I think we will feel more at ease traveling solo. Its called Fantasy tours,and theres another one called tracks-----------Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 08:40 AM   #15
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
adelmole. We were priviledged to own a home on the beach in Rocky point for ten Years. We just sold it a year ago. I really miss it even though we get to camp there or at elgofo a few weeks each year. But, what I wanted to tell you is the best Fish monger in town is Frederico. His stall is the next to the last one as you travel along the Malecon. He is incredibly honest (Once chased me down the street to give me a dollar he had overcharged me.) and will tell you what fish is best. Then, there are two places with the best fish tacos. One is Mary's just as you come over the hill and turn east on the Malecon. The other is the Blue Marline just around the corner from Frederico's. The owner always says, "Wecome Home!" when you enter. Only proble at the Blue Marlin is they don't sell beer.

Now, if you get real adventurous go south out of town towards Caborca until you see signs for Osteons. Follow your nose out through the desrt towards the sea. You will happen on some oyster farms. Bring some beer of your own and enjoy the oysters on the half shell that have just come in from the sea. It is amazing and this is just 60 miles south of the border. You are making me homesick.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 09:08 AM   #16
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thank you Dave and Victoria. Too bad I didn't get a chance to read this until after our trip to the fish market. I hope the guy we bought our fish from is just as honest. He ven cleaned and de-veined our shrimp for us. I am sure we will be buying more in the next couple of days so we'll try out Frederico's place. Bought large shrimp and 2# of flounder today and ate at Mickey's. Their salad was great. I also found a wall hanging christmas tree (made out of yarn) and it says Feliz Navidad accross the bottom. I'm sure I paid too much for it but just had to have it. Does anyone have any more good suggestions? We are open to almost anything. (Except nude bars or smoking funny stuff)
Old 12-09-2005, 12:39 PM   #17
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Don't miss going to "Rodeo Drive." It is on the road to Cholla Bay. It is a whole bunch of shops along the road just beyond the tracks. It is a completely different "shopping experience" It was always a must go for visitors when we lived there. BTW, your pictures made me even more homesick. I never got over the wonderfull sunsets there.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 01:50 PM   #18
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
The nice thing about Rocky Point is that it is so close to Mexico!! (Of course, the same is said about Anchorage being so close to Alaska.)
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 02:53 AM   #19
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Gosh, I feel like we are really in Mexico. We haven't seen a Walmart, Home Depot or McDonald's yet. But we did fina a Starbucks.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:47 AM   #20
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Okay, that's enough! Now I have to add Mexico to our list! We'll be traveling until we're 90!
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote