Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2005, 04:18 AM   #1
riverrun

M.O.C. #4442
GETTING READY TO BUY

We are on the verge of buying a 3865fl which we will use for months at a time. I would love to hear from you as to what we should make sure we add as options. We believe the arctic package, 2 or 3 ceiling fans, what about a second a/c? We will be in the mts, deserts, and all over this beautiful country of ours! Please share your experience!! Thanks

riverrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:30 AM   #2
Montana_2005
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2005
I'm not sure I recall what the floor plan is on your intended model, but if you are going to be doing MONTHS in it, I would suggest stashing a Washer dryer in there someplace!!!!
I have been doing the ol laundromat run since we sold our stick house...
What a pain.
comforts of home: Space saver coffee maker!!! Plenty of movies to watch when there is no TV and you aren't in one of those scenic spots that make you want to step outside. (IE the Walmart parking lot).
Montana_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:56 AM   #3
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
I completely agree with Melody ... the w/d are a must, at least IMHO. And if you're unsure about the need for a w/d, at least have it prepped.

As far as additional ceiling fans, I wasn't aware that was an option ... but I've been wrong so very many times before! Anyway, other than possibly the bedroom, I'm not sure where you could put another ceiling fan in the 3685.

One thing we didn't order and then really wished we had was the Fantastic Fan. Get at least one ... but one for the kitchen area and one for the bathroom/shower area would be ideal.

Satellite prep would be good too ... in case you decide to go that route.

We ordered ours prepped for the 2nd ac but have never felt the need to add it. We are full-timers and since I really, really, really, really, really strongly and intensely dislike the summer heat, we are not generally in real hot area for very long.

vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:06 AM   #4
jackw87
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3007
I have a 05 3685FL and I have one celling fan in the kitchen and had two fantastic fans when we got it one in the potty room and one in the living room we had to remove the one inthe living room wheen we had the 2nd ac installed if you order two have one in the kitchen and one in the potty room if youare going to be in the heet you may need the 2nd air if you camp with no shade
jackw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 08:09 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I dont have the 3685FL, but I would have the central vac, a 2nd a/c, washer/dryer, outside shower, hi-gloss fiberglass, ceiling fan, fireplace, and the hydraulic selector valves, sofa coffee table, along with the Moving to Montana package and Value package. Oh and dont forget the aluminum wheels.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:37 AM   #6
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I agree with Vicki, I think that they prep only one outlet that will support a standard stick house ceiling fan. If you are referring to the fantastic fans, mine came with one installed and you could request another installed in the bedroom area. If will come equipped with an exhaust fan in the potty room. It will be prewired for a second A/C and you can order with or add on later if you need. The W/D is a must for the full timers, but be sure you check where the washer drain is connected, some are connected to the gray tank, some to the black. We do not have a W/D installed so it does not matter, but mine is hooked up to the black tank.

If you think you might be boon-docking you might want to consider a second battery and a generator prep or installed.

Otherwise, obtain one of the books at a dealer and study what options are available with different packages. When you are looking to buy it can become confusing and you really need to study what is available. Don't take a sales person's word as "I think it has this or this", know what you are looking for and make him understand what you want.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:27 AM   #7
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I have a '04 3685 and we use it for weeks at a time. We had the dealer add the second A/C and slide out awnings. The two a/c's really help on hot humid days to keep the trailer cool. And they really come in handy when you first set up camp, to drop the temp fast. The slide out awnings I wanted just because I was not to fond of climbing out on the roof and sweeping the 4 slides off every time we camped in the fall and the leaves and walnuts were falling on the top of the slides. I have also heard it will help keep the sun off the top of the slides which should help with keeping it cooler inside. However you decide I think you will like the floor plan. I know we fell in love with it about a year ago and finally found one this year.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 01:47 PM   #8
scrowba
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2570
We love ours. Central Vac is a nice thing that we have. The fireplace is great for taking the nip out of the air instead of using the furnace.
scrowba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:52 PM   #9
kbr278
Established Member

M.O.C. #3264
We have had our 3685 for about a month. Glad we got the 2nd a/c. The last 2 weeks temps have been in the mid 90's with heat indexs over 100. The 2 a/c's kept the unit at 72 and they still cycled on and off. The rear unit only kept it at 75 and was running constantly. We got the 2 fantastic fans. 1 in kitchen and 1 in bath. We also have gel coat, fireplace, aluminum wheels, central vac, ect. Got most of the options avaiable. Only have small punch list for dealer. No major problems with the unit. we are very satisfied to this point.
kbr278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:05 PM   #10
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Most of the items have been mentioned, but we had the satellite dish installed prior to pickup and haven't regretted it. DirecTV with the roof mount, DirecTV or Dish Network if you go with ground mount. You will find advantages both ways, but we enjoy our roof mount as we tend to get in late often and its nice to just crank it up, point and watch (especially during inclement weather). There are all kinds of other items to take (ladder, tools, multimeter, step stool, bucket, Duct Tape, etc.) You will find many threads that list all of those items also. I like the outside shower for when I dump the sewer (right there to wash the hands - keep a bar of soap in there).
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:13 PM   #11
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have the '05 3475 model and love the central vac and fireplace. We had it wired for 2nd air conditioner and washer/dryer but so far have only added the washer/dryer. We were in real hot weather all summer but found one air conditioner to cool us off real fast when we set up. Our washer/dryer is plumbed to the black holding tank but so far it has not been a problem. We did not get the high gloss because of the extra weight. It remains to be seen if we miss it or not. Anything else we will wait to see if we really need it then add it at the time. We fulltime in our "Tanna"
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 01:50 AM   #12
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Go for very option you can get. Most definitely get the second AC dealer told me we would not need it, but bot was he wrong. These units are lot bigger than you think and ceiling height is taller than you think as well and with 4 slides it takes a lot to cool these units. I installed the second AC myself my unit was not pre wired for it so I had to do a lot of wire fishing to get it done but we did and lover it. Go ahead and get double pan windows as well this will help keep cool and heat in when running them respectfully. Also keeps condensation down from windows if you plan on staying in it months at a time. We also had the washer and Dyer Splindine 21000 installed by the dealer as part of the deal. If I had it to do over again I would order it with every option on they had.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 04:50 AM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Got the washer/dryer and the second A/C. Like them both very much. If I had to choose between them, definately the second A/C would be added.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 05:41 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Wow, what a great bunch of replies. About the only thing I can think of to add is that there is a finite list of available options. Getting anything not on that list is just not likely to happen. We were not aware of this when we ordered ours and when the salesman brought out the options list during the ordering process we had no real time to consider the options. I'd suggest you get the order sheet with options (make sure prices are on there) so you can mull over each option and make intelligent choices. Then add up the numbers and start negotiating
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:23 AM   #15
riverrun

M.O.C. #4442
THANKS TO EVERY0NE - EXTREMELY HELPFUL TIPS!!!
riverrun is offline   Reply With Quote