Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2005, 12:38 AM   #1
BandJ
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #93
Sewer hose

How do you carry your seewer hose. I carry the hose in the pipe which is fastened to the underbody of the RV. The problem is that I have to remove the end connectors each time to be able to put the hose in the pipe. I store the connectors in another container. What do you do?

BandJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 01:08 AM   #2
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I carry mine in a plastic tote. I have a long and short hose in it with all the connections on both. I keep a toilet bowl feshner in it to keep smelling good. Takes up a little room,but it works for me.Keep it in the front storage area. stow a bag of charcoal on top.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 01:39 AM   #3
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I think you will find that most of us have mounted the carrier under the unit. I don't have to take anything but the elbow off the hose to put it in the carrier. I put the carrier on our unit after the back wall in the sewer hose compartment on the unit came off and the hose wrapped itself around the wheel and tore the wheel apart.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 02:12 AM   #4
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
I vote for the plastic tote as well. One with a good fastening feature. There is a little square side compartment next to the storage bay on the curb side, but I find it's really too small to accommodate the length hose and connectors I sometimes need. So I use it for other things. I like the tote. I do slide the hose and connectors into a large plastic garbage bag before I put it in the tote. I have never had a smell problem this way or I am not assaulted with an unpleasant odor as soon as I open the tote.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 02:48 AM   #5
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
The sewer hose compartment on my 3400 accommodates 20' of hose and the connectors on both ends. It's a big improvement compared to the tubes. On my previous 3670, I was able to get the 20' of hose into the tube with the smaller (straight) sewer line connector connected, it just had to be the last part to go into the tube.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 05:11 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Glen mounted two 6 inch PVC tubed under the front of the Monty before we left on this trip to Alaska, one for sewer hoses and one for fishing rods.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 05:25 AM   #7
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
For those who mounted a tube under the 5er, do you use 4" or 6" PVC ?, I presume a metal band and screws are used to attach to the underside, would I need to be concerned about puncturing any tanks or water lines ?. Where are these generally mounted ?, behind the front landing gear or to the rear by the stabilizer legs ? I'm guessing you would use PVC glue on one end of the tube and just a snug fitting end cap on the other, does that sound right ?

Thanks for any tips, (45 days and counting til F/T)

jerry

jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 08:25 AM   #8
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
You can buy a second hose carrier at CW easy to mount. I now have two sewer hoses a short and a long can use both if you have a long run
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:46 AM   #9
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
BandJ -

Our 3400 didn't have the under belly carrier. And, I personally didn't like the storage compartment in the back, and it wouldn't accomodate our extendable sewer hose support. So I went to CW and purchased the sewer tube already built. I found the cost to be very similar to building my own from pvc. It also holds the extendable support that I also bought at CW. I leave both the clear connection elbow and the sewer end on - only need to remove the bottom portion of the 90 deg elbow. That I throw in the back sewer compartment. I do keep a short hose and elbow in the sewer compartment for dumping on the way out of campgrounds. If I connect, I pop the cap off the under belly carrier and my clear angled elbow, 20' hose, support and top portion of the sewer connection come out in one piece. Just grab the bottom portion of the 90 deg elbow to the sewer and connect.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 12:31 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We just have no room in the basement for another box to carry the sewer hoses so have three of the tubes underneath. Each has a different length hose. I also have to remove the connectors. If I were doing it again I'd go with the larger tubes so the connectors could stay on each hose.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 01:00 PM   #11
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
We have 2 tube carriers behind the landing jacks. One original and one from CW. We're able to leave the connectors on with the exception of the one that fits into the sewer pipe. Bob carries the rest of the fittings in a little basket inside the basemenet storage area.
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 01:47 PM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
[quote]Originally posted by jpf

For those who mounted a tube under the 5er, do you use 4" or 6" PVC ?, I presume a metal band and screws are used to attach to the underside, would I need to be concerned about puncturing any tanks or water lines ?. Where are these generally mounted ?, behind the front landing gear or to the rear by the stabilizer legs ? I'm guessing you would use PVC glue on one end of the tube and just a snug fitting end cap on the other, does that sound right ?

jerry/quote]

I used two 4" white pvc sewer pipes with screw in caps and collars. I installed them right behind the little one mounted at the front of the rig. Mine is a 2000 so it might be different than yours. I used screw in caps on both ends because I can put things in the other end also. Mine are just short of the full width of the rig.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 03:15 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I had dealership install two hose carriers under the coach behind the landing gear. I leave the hoses connected together and just take off the two ends and throw them with the other sewer attachments in the compartment already built for the sewer hose in the rear of the coach. I have approx 4 different lengths to handle any type of length I would need while on the road. If memory serves me right, I had both purchased and installed for less than $170.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 04:07 PM   #14
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Our tubes are 6 inches. Glen can put all the connections in there except for the 'donut' that goes directly in the dump station opening.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:13 AM   #15
edwardsb
Established Member

M.O.C. #1716
I installed a 6" I.D. white plastic pipe near the rear of our trailer. It has a threaded plug/nut on both ends. I drilled drain holes every 24" in the bottom and it is suspended with 3/4" metal strapping. The pipe will hold one 10' and one 20' sewer pipe, end caps, etc. plus several lengths of plastic supports. I made the plastic supports from 4" I.D solid sewer pipe, cut in half lengthwise. The large threaded end nuts can be removed using large channel lock pliers or I found a large (2 1/4") open end wrench used to remove nuts on a sink drain, which works quite well. I now use the space intended to store sewer hose, to store extra electrical cable. The pipe and caps, etc. cost approx. $50.00 US at a wholesale plumbing store in the Rio Grande Valley, TX. 6" I.D. pipe is not available at Home Depot or Lowes, etc.
edwardsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 10:04 AM   #16
Montana_2779
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2779
I've heard that some Monties/Mounties have rear bumpers that don't accomodate the hoses (mounting bolts run through the box bumper). We seemed to have had some luck-- our 20' hose fits int he bumper just fine. We disconnect the larger plastic hardware, clean it and store it in large plastic bags in the front basement during travel.
Montana_2779 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:15 PM   #17
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Pete The Montana does not have a rear bumper.
Happy trails..............
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 04:33 PM   #18
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
I installed a 4" PVC with a screw on cap underneath the coach. This holds my 10' hose with connectors attached. The 90 degree elbow is stored in the front compartment. I also have 20' hose that is stored in the rear bumper as it is not used very often.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 10:53 AM   #19
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jpf

jerry

I used the commercial hanger cut them to 12 inches conected it to the frame the same way that the factory installed the spair tire, and straps that are used wiet that particular hanger went a got some end caps and wala.