Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2005, 12:37 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
5th Wheel Covers

Would like to order a cover for our new Montana for the winter. Can anyone give me some ideas where to start looking or any recommendations from your experiences for a good cover.

Thanks!

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:59 PM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
There are probably better places to buy a cover but I know Camping World carries them.

Some folks here are successfully using a cover and perhaps can give you some good advice. Others of us have had bad experiences with them and will never again use a cover. Be sure yours breathes and has some method to allow for airflow so you don't hold in the moisture and thus introduce mildew. That's a real and serious problem with some covers. Also, be sure yours will not move in the wind and damage the finish on the outside. I covered a 1963 Chevy Impala convertible for the winter once and in the spring found all the paint rubbed off the knife edges and corners in the sheetmetal. Most of us do not cover our Montanas during the winter. We used to get ten or twelve inches of snow on ours along with ice, rain, etc. Never hurt it. But you can successfully use a cover, just be sure you understand and cover all of the potential problems. Maybe others can give you some pointers for that.

Good luck. I don't mean to try to convince you not to cover; I just want you to be aware of potential problems so you can avoid them.

If you decide not to cover the rig, then I would recommend an AC unit cover for the winter. Also available at CW and many RV stores and dealers.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:13 AM   #3
Montana_2730
Established Member

M.O.C. #2730
ALCO at Camping World - Become a presidents club member and save some money. Wait for a sale. The gutters (rear) are the only thing on my 2955 which cause a problem. We live in Texas so no snow and ice in New Braunfels area. Keeps it clean till the next voyage.
Montana_2730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 12:50 AM   #4
Bear Hunter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2464
If you have the room and zoning permits it think about a carport. We just had a new one built for our 3255. The one we had for our other 2 was not big enough. It cost us $7,400 to have a 40x18 built with 13'6''clearence over head. The base is 1 ft of lime stone. We have lattic on the south side to block the sun and 30 amp outlet if we want to have it plugged in. For what these unit cost I like to keep it protected when not in use.

SEMPER FI
Bear Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 05:20 AM   #5
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
Check this out!http://www.etrailer.com I just ordered one but it hasn't come yet.
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 06:48 AM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am with Steve on this one, I do not recommend covering the coach. I have seen what the covers have done to the sides and roof edges as it blows in the wind. The neighbor across the street had thousands of dollars of damage done to his because of the cover. My suggestion is to try and find indoor storage, most places at least around here charge $2 a foot per month. This is the winter rates for where I store mine and I know they give a huge discount for the summer months. In my case $2 a foot times 40ft came to $80 a month. Sure beats having to worry about wind, rains, and the rest of the weather patterns around here. Again, this is just my opinion and I am sure there are folks who have covered with no problems. Just thought I would share what I have seen.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 10:15 AM   #7
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
We dont have one for ours and thought about getting one. We read were some have had some problems so we opted to not get one. I think I like the idea of winter covered storage though!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 03:11 PM   #8
Montana_738
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #738
Rkassl

Check with more people before you put a cover on the roof. Otherwise call the people who make the membrane for the roof. I think if you cover the roof and mold sets in you blew the warranty. I'm not positive about this but I read on another forum, (I can't remember which one, and I'm not sure if it was a Montana) but they were talking about covering the roof with plastic to keep the birds from doing their thing on the roof while it was parked in a barn for winter storage. These things need to breathe. They said the glue came loose from moisture and the membrane was damaged from mildue. So be careful. I know someone can give you the name of the people who manufactured your roof. call them and be sure. Or check with Keystone and see what they say. What everyone else told you is also true, no matter how tight a fit you get the wind will still get you.

Bill
Montana_738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 12:27 AM   #9
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I to am with the other people that say a cover isn`t worth the money.I had one on my TT before I bought the Montana.It did keep the trailer nice and clean.But it was riddled with holes after ONE winter.I had it pretty tight too.High winds really tear these covers up.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 03:28 PM   #10
SRD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #722
We've gone through 2 of them. Returned the first due to tearing and the 2nd one lasted about one year and had to throw it out due to the wind causing it to get torn up pretty bad. I like the way it protects the TT from the weather, especially the sun in Florida, but not sure it is worth the expense of going through one each year. We don't plan on replacing it. Steve
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote