Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-04-2005, 10:10 AM   #1
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
RV tire jack

What to do about a wheel jack and lug wrench for my 5th wheel?
Was surprised the 5er didnt come equipped with one!
Should I buy a separate jack or will my F-250 jack do the trick?
The truck lug wrench seems not quite the right fit for the lugs, so I am thinking I need to get a wrench. I don't expect to change a tire unless it is my only option. But, I want to be prepared. Do I really need a tourque wrench? Any advice would be appreciated.

dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:38 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I would not attempt to jack the trailer with the jack that came with the truck. I don't feel it could handle the weight.

I have a 12 ton bottle jack

and a star lug wrench

Will also need to use some blockage under the jack but I carry that for leveling the rig anyway.

And YES I also carry a torque wrench.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:54 AM   #3
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I bought a 6 ton bottle jack and jacked up the trailer and left it under it for a hour to test the jack. All was good.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 02:32 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also use a 6-ton bottle jack. It fits nicely in the truck's toolbox, doesn't take up much room. If you need to jack it up, be sure to place the jack under the axle at the point the springpack attaches so you don't bend an axle. Some folks use blocks or a special ramp to raise the non-flat wheel until the flat is off the ground. That's also a good method.

For the lug wrench, my four-way spinner fits so I just use that.

By all means, I'd recommend a torque wrench with socket to fit the lug nuts. On this kind of wheel, any time the lugnuts have been loosened or removed you will need to stop every 50 to 100 miles to retorque the lugnuts. You will need to do this until a stop where they no longer tighten. This usually, for me, takes 3 or 4 stops. If you don't do this you risk the lugnuts backing off and you damage the studs, in the best case, or lose a wheel in the worst.

Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:28 AM   #5
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Yes, bottle jack & yes torque wrench. Don't leave home without them!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:06 AM   #6
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
I bring my small floor jack and some large sockets.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:41 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I agree with all the above. You need the torque wrench. You don't have to spend a lot of money for one, but you can. I got mine from a auto parts chain store for about $30 and it came with a lifetime warranty. It works and it is accurate.

You will have to develop your strategy about a protocol for changing a flat. That will determine your need for a bottle jack. Personally, I prefer to call my emergency road service provider to do it. I can build up a riser to elevate the other wheel to get to the flat if I need to do so. But I also carry a 6-ton bottle jack to help with flats and any other field maintenance contingencies requiring a lift.

I was already in possession of a 1/2-inch drive set, so the proper size deep socket a short extention and a breakover bar get the job done. I do carry one of those big "x" lug wrenches with the 4 different sized sockets.

If I haven't done so in the past, welcome to the MOC madness.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 11:53 AM   #8
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
Thanks for the replies. The information has been very helpful. I have purchased a jack and torque wrench. I also bought the xross lug wrench at an auto store, but it doesn't have the 13/16 inch fitting, which I discovered after I bought the wrench. I tried Sears, they don't sell the wrenches, and bought the wrench at Pep Boys. Any suggestions as to where I can get a xross wrench with a 13/16 fitting? I am disappointed that Keystone doesn't provide these basic tools.
dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 04:13 PM   #9
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Doug,

Check Walmart.

I got both a torque wrench, and a folding lug wrench with appropriate sized sockets there.

Saved a wole lot of money over Sears.

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote