Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2005, 04:07 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Vonage router

Every time I turn around, I am having to do the math. This time it was for VoIP. Checked out the promises from Vonage and the prices from SBC and it was a no brainer. So I switched. Since I am gonna be in th' stick house for another 5 to 6 months, hopefully they will determine how to do this wirelessly so I can take VoIP on the road for fulltimimg.

For those of you who are experienced with the Vonage router, I have a question. Can the router do double duty by supporting your network as well as the phone system? Ignorance reigns!

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:30 PM   #2
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
I have experience with VoIP, not the Vonage specifically. I own a Network Engineering COnsulting firm, aside from being a fireman. I know of no VoIP device that will double as a router, but you can purchase a seperate router, and plug the VoIP device into that. That way, your network will actually support the phone system. I had VoIP service in the house, and had it set up this way. I ened up dumping it, becasue I was dropping calls left and right, and the sound quality was poor. If you have any more specific questions on this, let me know.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:20 PM   #3
FredG
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1309
Actually, there is a Linksys Router / VOIP adapter combo unit, but I have not seen any reviews on it yet.
Wired Router: http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=652&scid=29
Wireless Router: http://www.linksys.com/products/prod...id=657&scid=35

This page lists all Linksys products for VOIP, not just for Vonage's service:
http://www.linksys.com/voice/voice_products.asp

I have seen the router/Vonage VOIP combo unit in Staples and CompUSA locally. I am looking into Vonage for my business voice and fax line, but I am holding off until Road Runner ups their bandwidth. NYC and Texas are reported to have received upgrades to 5 MB download over the past few weeks). The rest of the country will be receiving speed upgrades as they roll out their own VOIP marketing.
FredG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:15 AM   #4
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
I have Vonage, and use in it my Montana. The Vonage unit sits between your router and your network appliance. If you only have one computer, you don't need the router (However, I recommend one for firewall protection). The Vonage service is fantastic. You can assign yourself multiple area code numbers to make it cheaper for relatives to call you. It is perfect for a RV because the number follows you. You can even set the 911 address to whereever you are staying. If you call 911 at a trailer park, they will show up at your spot! It only works with a broadband connection, and not dial up.
mazeeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 09:19 AM   #5
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
I find this all very interesting, especially since I am the computer addict, not to mention the MOC addict in the family. If this all works well and you all keep having good success I am sure I will be looking into installing it in our stick house soon and enjoying the perks on the road.

Am I correct in my assumption that it must go hand in hand with a satellite hook up on the road? We don't have one yet and I want to make sure I have this all basically correct in my mind.

Thank you,
Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 10:16 AM   #6
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
The key to making it work, is to make sure that you have sufficient bandwidth. A VoIP channel needs 64Kb/s of dedicated bandwidth to work well. If you are on a shared WiFi connection in the park, you can get degraded service on Vonage. You'll notice this when you are talking, as the speech quality will fluxuate. I have been using Vonage for several months and love it. It takes a bit of computer/network skill to initially set it up, but it is well worth the effort. The real trick is to set up your park internet connection, such that you end up with a rj45 jack to plug the Vonage set top box into. This normally means setting up a wireless router to make the initial connection, and then plugging the Vonage box into the router. Setting it up at home is a lot easier!
Old 01-13-2005, 01:52 PM   #7
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
I just set up Vonage at home this past Monday. Vonage sent me a Linksys RT31P2 Router. This router has the normal LAN and WAN connections along with 2 phone jacks (rj45). I just copied the settings used on my old Linksys Router to the new one. Plugged into the WAN and my phone service was up. Crystal clear calls, no dropped calls, people can't believe I'm taling to them via the internet. I'm hopeful this will work with Directway, Starband or Wildblue when we get ready to hit the road. I understand there can be short delays (latency) because of the signal traveling to the satellite and back when using satellite internet.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:02 PM   #8
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by fulltimedreamer

I just set up Vonage at home this past Monday. Vonage sent me a Linksys RT31P2 Router. This router has the normal LAN and WAN connections along with 2 phone jacks (rj45). I just copied the settings used on my old Linksys Router to the new one. Plugged into the WAN and my phone service was up. Crystal clear calls, no dropped calls, people can't believe I'm taling to them via the internet. I'm hopeful this will work with Directway, Starband or Wildblue when we get ready to hit the road. I understand there can be short delays (latency) because of the signal traveling to the satellite and back when using satellite internet.
Should work fine with the satellite providers. I use mine with my companies private satellite link, and the latency is acceptable. No different than a transcontinintal call. You'll get used to it.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:59 PM   #9
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
I might also point out that Vonage has a soft VoIP phone that loads unto your computer, and makes the process of using it with WiFi a lot easier than using the network appliance. Most laptops have a microphone and speakers, so you can make and receive calls right from your computer connected to a WiFi network.
Old 01-14-2005, 06:52 PM   #10
Ken Wiseman
Established Member

M.O.C. #1229
Send a message via Yahoo to Ken Wiseman
I have been using Vonage Voip at home via a cable connection without a problem. This allowed me to drop SBC and reduce our monthly phone bill dramatically. With number portablilty we could keep our phone number. I did by the linksys Wifi vonage router rather than use the one that Vonage sent me. This allows wifi routing. Vonage must be used in the DMZ, so buying an all in one router is the best way to go.
Because Vonage (or any voip) works over any broadband internet connection, my overall intention was to use vonage with Datastorm in the monty on the road. This has been less than successful due to the latency introduced by the 44,000 miles (up to the satellite and back) that the voip connection has to make. This introduces lag in the conversation which is basically unacceptable.

kw
Ken Wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2005, 01:24 AM   #11
mazeeff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2055
For those of you who want to use Vonage over a WiFi connection in a RV park, here is how you do it. Takes a bit of effort, but not too hard. Using WiFi eliminates the latency associated with a satellite IP connection.

Here is one way to connect a notebook with wireless internet access up to a Vonage "box" (ATA).

1) I am using Windows XP Home.
2) connect up to the wireless network on your notebook.
3) Plug an ethernet patch cable (not Crossover cable) into the notebook ethernet port and into the WAN port on the Vonage ATA.
4) Open control panel and open network connections
5) Hold "ctrl" down and single click on the wireless connection and single click on the Local area Network connection (NIC card)
6) right click and "bridge the connections"
7) power off and on the vonage box
The vonage phone should work