Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2007, 12:09 PM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thinking of our flag

As Mr. John Kohl brought up, (Thank you John, Semper Fi) Veterans day is approaching, I thought I would post some information on the origin of the term 'Old Glory', I learned about this, thought I would share.

The name "Old Glory" was first applied to the U.S. flag by a young sea captain who lived in Salem, Mass. On his 21st birthday, March 17, 1824, Capt. William Driver was presented a beautiful flag by his mother and a group of Salem girls. Driver was delighted with the gift and named the flag "Old Glory." Old Glory accompanied the captain on his many sea voyages. In 1837 he quit sailing and settled in Nashville. On patriotic days he displayed Old Glory proudly from a rope extending from his house to a tree across the street.

After Tennessee seceded from the Union in 1861, Captain Driver hid Old Glory, sewing it inside a comforter. When the Union soldiers entered Nashville on February 25, 1862, Driver removed Old Glory from its hiding place. He carried the flag to the capitol building and raised it above the state capitol. Shortly before his death, the old sea captain placed a small bundle into the arms of his daughter. He said to her: "Mary Jane, this is my ship's flag, Old Glory. It has been my constant companion. I love it as a mother loves her child. Cherish it as I have cherished it."

The flag remained as a precious heirloom in the Driver family until 1922. It was then sent to the Smithsonian Institution in Washington D.C., where it is carefully preserved under glass.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:41 PM   #2
levietta
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7537
Thanks for the story. Do you know whether if it is the true and single source of the term that can be factually followed, or is it legend? I certainly don't question it. This is the first time I have heard this, and it is wonderful. Thanks gain.
levietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:04 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You bet, it came from the American legion, but I really don't know.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:46 PM   #4
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Try this site to read about "Old Glory"http://www.usflag.org/history/oldglorystory.html

Thanks Ozz
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote