Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2007, 02:15 PM   #21
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mudchief

Bert, counter balance, it will take some of the weight off the pin. Anyway that diesel won't know that extra 500 pounds is back there.
We've discussed this before a while back. Understand your concerns regarding lightening the load on the pin...but this is really not a good way. Reducing the weight in the front by adding the weight to the rear tends to reduce lateral stability.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:48 PM   #22
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
However, the weight rating on the trailer includes a full fresh water tank and full LP tanks as listed on the sticker in the cupboard. I agree throwing bricks in the back is not a solution to reduce pin weight, but I believe the trailer is already designed to account for the weight of the fresh water.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 03:12 PM   #23
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
We boondock almost all the time, and GOOD fresh water is a commodity not to be taken lightly. Pun intended!

We cannot tell any difference in fuel mileage when the tank is full or empty. We prefer the tank full.

Brad, I just flip the switch in the convenience center, never have even opened that little door or removed the cap...water seems to find a way to get out when the tank is full.

Sailer, "cheaper to buy water" Get real buddy! How would you like to buy some real cheap swamp land...? We bought water in Yuma, it was terrible compared to the free water we had in our tanks from Sedona...
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:27 PM   #24
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

Brad, I just flip the switch in the convenience center, never have even opened that little door or removed the cap...water seems to find a way to get out when the tank is full.
Got to be a little careful Robbie. If the CG water has real good water press (Goshen) you can do damage. I had water blasting out from under the entire length of the rear of my new 3400. Even got the carpet wet inside. Had the Service Center check it out. They couldn't find anything wrong, but I had them document the visit. They did note the wet carpet inside. They could not figure out how that happened...

I am having some suspicious things happening now with my pump, that may be related. Never had the problem before we blew that water out the back of my new 3400...

Service visit is scheduled for the 25th.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:37 PM   #25
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Dave,

Thanks for the heads-up, but you must live on the East coast, 'cause we don't find many parks here that have high water pressure. I always use the water regulator, and my thought is that water won't go in there faster than 45 psi (?) or the rating of the regulator.

Anywho, I would be curious to know what your service center has to say.

Thanks again.
Old 04-16-2007, 04:04 AM   #26
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We sure don't have a high water press problem here in FL either. So that would never be a problem just letting it run. In Goshen, you definitely need a press reg. I have not used mine since, though. Takes me almost a half hour here to fill my 60 gal tank...

I am thinking of looking into a 3 gal bladder for extra press - although I think thats more for steady press, not higher press. sure. I am looking at the 5.7 gpm Shurflo pump. If it's quiet enough...
Old 04-16-2007, 04:46 AM   #27
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Dave,

I'm with you, typically it takes 20+ minutes to fill my tank and 12 days to empty it.....our achilles heel for boondocking time.

You might consider a reverse osmosis (RO) system. They are pretty cheap, now. They can be purchased at the major hardware stores for a couple a hundred bucks. The filter cartridges are a little pricey, but you don't have to replace them very often, just when the flow stops. You can easily regulate the pressure to the taps.

If we continue spending as much time as we are now in the salty-water environment (Southern AZ), we'll be figuring out a way for the RO.

Old 04-16-2007, 05:02 AM   #28
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Robbie, can you use the RO system with you CG/city connection? I had heard these were a little slower.

I want water filters, but looking at the CW catalog last night, I couldn't find anything that filters WELL and FAST. 3.0 gpm was the fastest. I would like 5.0 gpm filter. Thought I saw one a while ago, but didn't spend a lot of time last night doing a thorough search. MAybe that was in the CW store that I saw that...
Old 04-16-2007, 05:32 AM   #29
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Dave,

My apologies to the forum for getting a little bit off topic!

I always filter drinking water 3 times.

First, a sediment filter for the hose into the unit...(always used). This one keeps the tiny rocks etc. from entering our water system and getting into the screens. I have it setup with quick-connects, so it is quick and easy even when Ihave to get water from a non-campground source. These filters are less than $10, and available at all the hardware stores.

Second, I have a drinking water fountain (filter) that I installed on the kitchen sink. I bought this one at CW. Shurflo Universal In-Line Waterguard rated at 5 microns. The model number for the filterr is: 94-009-50.

Third, we use a Brita from the sink filter to finish the filtration. This system has worked well for us, but we are always looking for something better.

I change all of these filters every 3 months. Total cost is about $25.

And to get back to the topic, I always filter the water going into the fresh water holding tank.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:28 AM   #30
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Dave,
here's a link to a fitlration store, they have 5gpm filters, etc
http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/Pr...Regulators.htm

Good place to look
Rick
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:35 AM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We've seen high water pressure in several areas of the country. At our "home park" in Independence, MO, we were told pressure is 100+ psi. I believe it. It's nice for washing the truck and rig, though.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:39 AM   #32
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Steve,

You are lucky to have such high pressure. Not long ago, I washed my truck using the little blue hose out of the convenience center because the pressure out of the hose bib was so low.

Not sure if this is good or not, but sometimes when the water pressure is low, I turn the pump on at the same time as the water coming in for a fuller force shower....you know, us boondockers get pretty dirty!