Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-14-2005, 06:33 AM   #1
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
So Cal Winterizing Question

I live in So. Cal. Santa Paula to be exact. Any of you in So. Cal winterized your units? Although we are not camping in ours in December or January we will be back in it in February and about every month after that. If you do please advise. If you don't or only do some things let me know please. First winter with new Mountaineer.
I was thinking of draining some water from water heater and I leave the holding tanks after a trip with only a few gallons in them for moisture and the seals. Water only about 1/3 full. Even if they froze they would not even expand inside a full tank and cause damage atleast in my mind. Wouldn't the water expand in the direction of least resistance back towards holding tanks?

RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:20 AM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We have never winterized although we usually use ours during the winter. Hemet does have below freezing sometimes but we haven't ever thought about winterizing. We just had a discussion the other day that this winter we probably should run the furnace on low on nights they are predicting below 32. The Monty is beside our house with a fence on the other side so is fairly protected.
Happy trails................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 06:58 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sue, I wouldn't worry about it unless it's going to be 27 or below for more than an hour or so.

Bob & Carol, how cold does it get in your area and for how long? It takes at least an hour, maybe two, to get a good hard freeze of the water so if temperatures are going to be 27 or below for more than an hour or two then I'd consider using rv antifreeze to winterize. You could always flush the antifreeze when you want to use the Montana and refill with water then do it again when you leave. Or just drain everything before leaving. If temperatures dip to 27 for a couple of hours then rise back into the upper 30's I doubt you'd have a problem with the method you propose. Just an opinion.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 08:01 AM   #4
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
As a post-script to Steve's post above, the local weatherpeople have defined a "hard freeze" as temperatures of 27 or lower for four hours or more.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2005, 11:24 AM   #5
FireTruckerWife
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1629
I think if I lived in so. Cal and were expecting 27 degrees at night, I'd just run the furnace with the thermostat set on 40 or 45. That should take care of it.
FireTruckerWife is offline   Reply With Quote