Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-03-2005, 03:53 AM   #21
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Some slides on Mountaineers are electric, specifically if you have ONLY one slide. A friend of ours has a Mountaineer TT, one slide, ELECTRIC. Also the front front room Montana (with the 2 couches) at one time also were Electric, and their slides back further in unit were hydraulic. Many of our slides are hydraulic, but not all.

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 04:14 PM   #22
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Marcia,

Both of the slides on the 335RLBS are hydraulic. Here is a link with a picture of the location of the pump and tank:

http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre...pumplocat.html

Its good to know where the pump is located. A year or so ago I had one of the DC "breakers" go out in the line that runs to the pump. There is a hexagonal connector on the end of the pump to which you can connect a portable drill. I used my drill to put the slides in and out until I could trouble shoot the electrical problem. Its not cool when you're trying to break camp and your slides won't retract. The manual on the slides give very good directions.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 12:33 AM   #23
Montana_4155
Established Member

M.O.C. #4155
We've had problems with freezing water in our hose. I think part of the reason being the water softner/filter attached to the hose. (Purchased at CampingWorld)It may or may not be the cause of the problem. I've seen water hook ups freeze in Tucson many times and they didn't have water softners. We wrapped electrical heat tape around it and so far so good.
I had to smile when we tried to buy heat tape at ACE, Home Depot, and various dept stores. Few knew what we were talking about here in Scottsdale! We had to buy it over the web.
Have to say I'm loving reading the posts on this site. This' a great place to find information on just about any topic related to the camping/RV lifestyle.
Montana_4155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:16 AM   #24
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Karen, that's funny about Scottdale's knowledge of "heat tape". Sounds like the kind of place that my wife would like to move to from N. Mich where we now live. We're under "Winter Storm Warnings" AGAIN!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 03:58 AM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gee, heat tape is a staple for us this time of year. I have heat tape on our water hose, on our low point drains, and on the parks water pipe/bib. As many know, we've done a number of things to make ours more freeze-proof and are waiting to see how well we've done. The past two nights have had lows of 13 and today is supposed to reach a whopping 16. We're fine so far, no freezeup of our water system. But, for a couple of reasons, I did not get the water lines aft of the rear axle (in the belly) insulated. Hopefully the heated low point drains and water heater (both in that area) will keep us from freezing back there.

The next three nights are forecast to see lows of 5, 4, and 2 Fahrenheit. We're not supposed to get above freezing again until Saturday (this is Tuesday). I don't know if we can handle those lows without freezing. We'll see.

I noticed the discussion about thermostats. We have the older system, pre-remote. We replaced the standard thermostat with a Hunter with adjustable span. Ours is set to cycle when the temp variation reaches 1 degree. That keeps it much more comfortable in here. I don't know if the Hunter will work as a replacement for the newer setups.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:13 AM   #26
Montana_4155
Established Member

M.O.C. #4155
Well, friends, the heat tape either is defective, or we've done something incorrect in application. Anyhow, our water supply froze last night (AGAIN) but so did everyone else's in the park. (We're at Eagle Nest in Ft. McDowell outside of Fountain Hills/Scottsdale).
My husband mentioned we should have left a foucet running slightly all night to keep the water flowing, like he used to do in his long ago bachlor days in the mobile home.
Any suggestions? I'm paranoid about breaking pipes. Oh gosh. We recently upgraded to a 2006 34ft. Montana RL with all the goodies.
Again, low this site.
Karen
Montana_4155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 11:33 AM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Be very careful about water dripping all night. We've had that work down to the upper teens but below that you risk it freezing in the sewer hose and when that hose is frozen solid it backs up into your tank. When that is full....

Did you put the heat tape on the hose or on the park's pipe? If on the hose, I'd recommend covering the heat tape with foam pipe insulation, then duct taping the whole thing. That's what I was taught and I've not had that hose ever freeze. The lowest temp it's been used in is minus five F. Make sure the heat tape is making contact with the hose/pipe. I attached ours by taping it to the hose with duct tape every few inches to keep it tight against the hose.

If the park's pipe, you need to heat tape the vertical pipe and anywhere through the spigot head water passes. I heat tape and cover that (same as on the hose) then on the part the pipe insulation won't work I wrap roll insulation over that and tape it. I then take a five gallon bucket, fill it with insulation and turn it upside down over the spigot. No more freezing. Prior to the bucket I left about an inch unheated just above where the hose connects and we froze it at that point. The bucket full of insulation takes care of that. I also put loose insulation behind the door on the Montana where the water hose connects. I don't know if that's necessary but it does keep the cold air from getting to the connection on the Montana side.

Good luck. Keeping these things from freezing seems to be an ongoing battle for us.

Karen, we've frozen pipes inside the belly of the Montana over the past three winters and nothing has broken yet.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 02:18 PM   #28
Starchmill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2070
Send a message via AIM to Starchmill
fulltimedreamer, thanks for the pic of the hydrolic pump. I never knew! Good info!
Starchmill is offline   Reply With Quote