Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #1
Crfoshee

M.O.C. #25670
Water leaving

We have a 2006 Montana Mountaineer. Water is leaking from under our shower and toilet areas. It’s also coming inside from under the steps going up into the bedroom area. Where, what water lines are in that area and how do we get to them? Thanks.

Crfoshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 11:53 AM   #2
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
What model do you have that will help if some one with the same model to chime in. Is there water in the basement area?
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:07 PM   #3
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Not sure what your floor plan is but the first thing I would think of is the black tank anti siphon valve. Mine is under the lavatory sink but yours could be in the wall behind the shower faucet? Some one with your model will be here to advise you soon.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:09 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Don't know your model, but is water leaking all the time or just when you do a black tank flush? If during the flush ... my notorious anti siphon valve was behind the shower in the wall separating the living area from bedroom.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 12:33 PM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I had a 2006 Montana 2980 and it had the valve in the wall, I think. Someone had already cut a hole and covered it with a plastic cover.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:29 PM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Yup likely the black tank anti-siphon valve. My 2005 Montana (and I am pretty sure all models) had the valve behind the shower.

The 64K question is: does this occur during and after you flush the black tank? Yes - change the valve. No- look somewhere else.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 03:48 PM   #7
bleedmichigan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23739
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Yup likely the black tank anti-siphon valve. My 2005 Montana (and I am pretty sure all models) had the valve behind the shower.

The 64K question is: does this occur during and after you flush the black tank? Yes - change the valve. No- look somewhere else.
On my 3750fl the valve is behind the Convenience Center. To access I pull the black panel in the basement storage and it’s right there.
bleedmichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 04:14 PM   #8
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You're lucky to have it in a reasonably accessible location. Many of us in the 2005 - 2016 time frame had it in the wall behind the shower like Carl mentioned. You had to cut a hole inside a cabinet or closet guessing about where it was and then fab a cover for the hole when done. I know of a guy that bought my old unit from Camping World. The valve went out after he bought it. CW wasn't well versed on how to go about fixing the anti-siphon valve, so they yanked the whole shower stall out to get to it. He had to bring it back to CW shortly after as it had more water leaks what he started with. "Typical for CW"
Old 05-08-2020, 10:02 AM   #9
Crfoshee

M.O.C. #25670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post
What model do you have that will help if some one with the same model to chime in. Is there water in the basement area?
It is a 2006 Montana Mountaineer. And yes there is water in the lower deck. Evidently there is a leaking connector.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:06 AM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
You still haven't answered an important question of some of the responders. Does the leak occur all the time, or just when you use the black tank flush?
Old 05-08-2020, 12:07 PM   #11
Crfoshee

M.O.C. #25670
It leaks all the time.
Old 05-08-2020, 01:05 PM   #12
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I know you said it is a 2006 Mountaineer, but the actual model number helps us see your floor plan. Anyways ... generally if you remove the panel covering the rear wall of your pass thru storage, you'll see most of your water lines. The shower drain can sometimes be seen right under the shower also in the pass thru storage. Your sink lines can be seen right under the sink inside the cabinet. They will continue into the area described in the pass thru storage. If you have a convenience center, the rear cover can be removed as well although you say it seems to be leaking from the upper deck. You may have a fresh water line leak ... or you may simply have a P-Trap that has worked loose. You're just gonna have to pull some panels or open a cabinet and do some looking.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:49 AM   #13
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
You're lucky to have it in a reasonably accessible location. Many of us in the 2005 - 2016 time frame had it in the wall behind the shower like Carl mentioned. You had to cut a hole inside a cabinet or closet guessing about where it was and then fab a cover for the hole when done. I know of a guy that bought my old unit from Camping World. The valve went out after he bought it. CW wasn't well versed on how to go about fixing the anti-siphon valve, so they yanked the whole shower stall out to get to it. He had to bring it back to CW shortly after as it had more water leaks what he started with. "Typical for CW"
If your valve is behind the shower fixture like mine is, you do not have to create access to it. Simply find the 2 water lines that go up to it from under the floor behind the connivance center. Cut both lines and plumb them together with a shark bite fitting. The dead valve can just stay where it is.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:01 AM   #14
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
The way to determine if you have a water supply leak is to put some water in your fresh tank and use the pump to fill all the lines. The pump should stop and stay off until a faucet is opened. If the pump does not stop at all, you have a large leak. If it cycles on and off, you have a smaller leak somewhere.

This is the reason why I always fill the fresh tank and use the pump, even if we have water hook ups available. I can instantly tell if there is a problem. And also, when leaving the unit, the water pump can be simply turned off to prevent and issues while you are not there. If you are hooked to city water and you develop a leak while you are not there, and you did not turn off the water source, your entire camper could be flooded.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 09:19 AM   #15
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
beeje ... your proposal of just eliminating the anti siphon valve would surely fix the issue with less work. When the issue first sprang up 8-10 years ago, several of us were of the mindset that it needed to be there, so we or the dealers made access holes and then fabbed some sort of cover. Maybe the valve needs to be there ... maybe not. Anyone can always go your elimination route and use a check valve right at the fitting in the convenience center instead.

As for potential water leaks while away from the camper ... I most always shut off the campground spigot when we will be gone for a time. Easy Peasy until my memory starts to fade ...
Old 05-13-2020, 02:57 PM   #16
jtcurbo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25900
Crfoshfee, I had the same problem. My leak came from the ceiling vent on top of the trailer. We had been in a hail storm and the vent caps were cracked and chipped away. Rain was getting in and running down and out under the steps going to the bedroom. I took the vent covers off on the stairs and could see pretty. But, I went to my basement on the side of and in front of the stairs and took off the cover, easy with about 4 screws or so, and had better access to the water lines under there to see if they were leaking. I replaced the vent caps and that fixed it. If you have the leak when it is not raining you can have visual access to the water lines to see if they are leaking. This may not help, but, that was my experience. Good luck.
jtcurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 03:21 PM   #17
amyed
Established Member

M.O.C. #25043
I think the siphon is for rinsing from the control panel outside for the black tank only. If your not rinsing that is not your problem. Look in your closet in the bedroom. I believe there is a washer hookup there. Maybe someone hit a valve handle. Good luck.
amyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:06 PM   #18
R&JCovington
Established Member

M.O.C. #20943
Make sure you aren't leaving a hose connected to your septic flush system. We had a water leak there and we found out that there's a valve in the system that doesn't close properly when you leave a hose attached.
R&JCovington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 06:33 AM   #19
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
I had a 2006 MM (344RET) and developed a leak in the same general area. Had to do a bit of "exploratory surgery", but found the water leak was from a plumbing connection on the backside (interior) of the outside shower. Had the wife turning on/off water supply to the MM. Water was spraying in the forward direction (in looking at the backside of the outdoor shower control panel). The leak initially had me contemplating taking out the shower...
jchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:10 PM   #20
Kevin G

M.O.C. #25177
water leak

I had a water leak and found I had a small crack in the shower pan. Repaired it with a piece of that good ol' sealant as seen on TV.
Kevin G is offline   Reply With Quote