Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2009, 01:48 AM   #1
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
black tank flusher inlet

A new mystery. My flusher for the black tank won't let water into the tank. I checked the water source and found indeed water is available at the end of the hose I connect to the outside of the rig. A visual of the inlet connection showed no obvious issues.

The water doesn't sound like it is entering the blank tank at all. BTW the black tank did empty normally when I openned the drain valve so I do NOT have an outlet problem (thank goodness).

Any suggestions?

genecurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:23 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
had similar happen last year.

replaced the check valve in this line, did not help the sprayer head.

our fix: filled the black tank with as much water as we could, full full full. We were parked, not hauling.

put in a bit of Calgon and laundry soap

let it soak for a long long long time. over night or more.

dumped,

may have done the soaking thing again?? cannot remember, believe so.

after the soaking procedure the sprayer nozzle worked fine and performed as expected.

our take was that there was some tp or mineral deposits hardened on the sprayer nozzle, basically making it non-functional. the soaking removed whatever was plugging the nozzle.

good luck.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:24 AM   #3
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
I also have this problem,but not all the time. When the water does not spray in the tank I get water dripping into our storage area which is telling me the check valve is leaking. I've looked at my water lines and it will be easy to by-pass the check valve.

Bill
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
If you do by-pass the check valve, please be sure to add another one before reconnecting to the sprayer inlet line.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
I had to look up on Ace Hardware what a check valve was. What does it look like in this application and where might I look for it?
Old 01-23-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
On our unit. the check valve is under the vanity in bathroom.
It was leaking bad under there when using the flush.
Took the check valve off & found a dead Lady Bug stuck to the check valve seal.
It sure is a cheap looking check valve....all plastic & probably made in China!

Works fine now

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1Happycamper

I also have this problem,but not all the time. When the water does not spray in the tank I get water dripping into our storage area which is telling me the check valve is leaking. I've looked at my water lines and it will be easy to by-pass the check valve.

Bill
The check valve does 3 things
  • Keeps YOUR brown stuff out of OUR clear stuff
  • Meets some backflow prevention water requirement somewhere
  • Prevents your tank from siphoning back out the fill.
The first one bothers me, and the third one should bother you. If you bypass the valve - as you travel down the road the slosh in the tank is actually pushing up the flush hose towards the check valve just like starting a siphon. If there is no valve it will continue to the fill fitting in your convenience center. Once it gets there, the siphon starts, and you open your cabinet door to about 40 gallons of your brown that has drippled or shot out the fill connection into you convenvenience center and is now dripping out of your basement into the belly and then onto the ground.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:18 PM   #8
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Dang BRAD!! sure glad I am thru eating supper before I read this!! hahaha
Tom
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
hahaha - I keep thinking of Robin Williams!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
yea, makes you wonder if these people that dont rv thinks that we rv'ers are like that movie!!
Tom
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #11
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Thanks Carol and everyone. I am taking the following approach:

Fill with fresh water, and dump. Repeat. (done this)
Fill with fresh water and add black tank chemicals. Allow to sit overnight as per carol (in process, and I have a 24 hours soak opportunity). Then dump and try flusher again.

Since I full time I will have opportunities to fill tank two thirds full and drive 100 miles (a la Bob Livingston at Trailer Life). Since I won't be traveling for the next 5 days. I am going to keep the tank at least half full at all times.

BTW, i read the one page manufacturers instructions from my document pack. Seems I have done this wrong for 3 years. After flushing it says to remove the hose from the faucet, let water drain, then disconnect hose from the side of the trailer. I doubt this is my problem unless it is mineral build up in the flusher spray jets. Still, might as well do it right.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #12
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
That valve is not simply a check valve, but an antisiphon valve, which is actually two check valves. One valve is in line with the black tank, and the other is vented to the air at the highest point of the line. When you turn on the water, the valve to the tank opens and the valve to the air closes (you hope). When you turn the water off, the valve to the tank closes and the valve to the air opens and lets the line drain back to the flush connection.

Pretty simple and cheaper than the price suggests (about $30 to $$35). Make in Texas, I believe.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:07 PM   #13
JLeach
Established Member

M.O.C. #8145
We have a 2008 305RLT Mountaineer and have had a problem with the anti-siphon valve under the bathroom vanity leaking. We've had it replaced 3 times, the first two were black plastic and the third is metal. I didn't know the exterior hose was supposed to be disconnected after flushing the black tank so have been leaving it connected all the time. Could this possibly be the reason there is water coming out of the valve under the vanity? It does this sporadically.
JLeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #14
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
JLeach

This is WAY WAY WAY off subject, but just have to say that is one fabulous photo on your avatar!

OK, back to the business at hand, leaky water stuff.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:33 PM   #15
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
I finally got the tank really full, as orginally suggested by Carol. Will soak the sprayer head overnight in the full tank. Try again to drain and flush tomorrow. If that fails, I will fill with 20 gallons and drive 200 miles to Corpus Christi and hope the good sloshing will clear it up. If that fails, I will think about the check valve.

I appreciate everyone's suggestions.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #16
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Could be wrong Gene, but, believe that if that valve is bad you are really gonna know it, cause it leaks!!

At, least ours did.

Good luck

Be careful hauling with water in those tanks, I cannot suggest it, at least not 20 gallons. In my opinion, after seeing the way the are installed and reading all the posts about tanks leaking and cracking and falling down and such, well, I just don't advise traveling with much more than 5 gallons in there.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:31 PM   #17
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
I did a pretty through leak search including basement, furnace area and even under the shower. Any area I could peer at or touch to find a leak. I am happy report no leaks. Of course, I didn't find the check valve either, at least that I know of.

I have soaked and flushed the tank so many times that for the first time in 2 years the sesor reads Empty on the black tank!!
Old 01-26-2009, 12:40 PM   #18
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Gene,

On our 2004 3295 that check valve is right under the bathroom sink. Our towels were soaked!

We found that the Calgon REALLY helped, it soaks off stuff, specially minerals.

I had mineral deposits showing in the toilet, nasty little ring, NOTHING would take it off. So, I put some Calgon in there, enough to cover said nasty little ring. Days later, ring gone. Course, we were NOT inhabiting Tana at that time, so, it could soak real good.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:22 PM   #19
genecurp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2535
Calgon: are you refering to Calgon bath Oil Beads?
Oh, I see Calgon water softener (powder or liquid) is in the laundry isle in the grocery store. Is that the stuff?
Old 01-26-2009, 02:34 PM   #20
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
NOT THE BATH BEEDS!!

Yes, go to the laundry aisle and look around.

This is what you are looking for:

http://www.homesolutionsnews.us/calgon/

Many areas of our beloved Texas have hard water, you should be able to find it there.

Good luck.