Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-05-2011, 12:06 AM   #1
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Top Mod

Greetings, There have been several topics lately about members buying new units. That got me thinking about the mods that we fifth wheel owners like to install on our units. If you had to take away all the mods you did to your unit in order of importance, which mod would be the one standing? I think this topic may help new owners equip their units for the best enjoyment. The mod that I made to ours was the LevelEase front jack control system. I have made at least 20 mods to our unit but this one is tops. I had to decide between the slide toppers and the LevelEase but figuring if slide toppers were on the unit when purchased, the LevelEase would be the first owner mod installed. For the record, LevelEase is now Intellijack.
Here is a U-Tube link to my video review of LevelEase. Again, what is your favorite mod?

bobsals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:43 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Looks like a commercial to me, you selling them?
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:59 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
The first mod should be surge protection. There are way too many things that could be damaged from bad power.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:45 AM   #4
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

The first mod should be surge protection. There are way too many things that could be damaged from bad power.
I agree, surge suppression was the first and most important addition to our rig.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:47 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I agree 100% with Jim. Surge Protection at a minimum, preferably a complete electric monitoring system. By the way, I still level up the old-fashioned way, albeit with a remote though that came with the new rig, so it would be kind of difficult to rate a leveling system as very high on my list of mods. Second for me, due to low park power at places in our home state is an Autoformer. Third is the replacement faucet for the OEM model (I rank it high because I had to put it in to allow for the portable dishwasher quick-connect). Fourth is the dishwasher itself. I could go on and on, but I don't count factory installed options as mods (including 2nd air, slide toppers, built-in generator, etc.). The mod that I truly rank higher than anything therefore it was not assigned a number is the replacement of the Mara-bombs with 614's.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:31 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have to agree with the others that electrical protection is numero uno, then comes the changeout of the ROC tires. Independent suspension with disc brakes was high on my list as a full time traveller, then perhaps an air hitch, and the list goes on and on and on. Nicety items, such as a LCD HDTV and surround sound and the Traveler Dish for HDTV was a must have, but not a necessity....Window awnings help reduce heat, glare and visibility inside the trailer (from nosy neighbors and passerbys), that they are almost a necessity also. An auto leveling system would not be something I would think about anytime soon, although I have heard they are nice. I still do mine the old fashioned way and with the DW helping, it takes no time. I've also heard with the levelup system, trailer is a little more stable. To each his own....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:41 AM   #7
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Looks like a commercial to me, you selling them?
No I don't sell them, just a happy camper! It would not have been as important on our old fifth wheel as the front landing jacks were much faster to operate. The new ones for some reason are painfully slow. We have the hand held remote on our Mountaineer that worked well too, but this is one of those mods you really don't appreciate until you have it. Once you have it, you will not be without it. Kind of compare to... DVR, Cell Phone, Microwave, Dishwasher, In home washer dryer, garage door remote etc, etc.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:39 AM   #8
bobsals
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10232
Just a quick question guys. I see that power monitoring or surge protection is high on several of your lists, just wondering why? What problems have you encountered to make you install this equipment. I'm sure it serves a purpose but don't campgrounds get their power off the grid the same as our houses do? I'm just looking for information as this may be my next mod. Thanks
Old 02-05-2011, 05:16 AM   #9
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bobsals

Just a quick question guys. I see that power monitoring or surge protection is high on several of your lists, just wondering why? What problems have you encountered to make you install this equipment. I'm sure it serves a purpose but don't campgrounds get their power off the grid the same as our houses do? I'm just looking for information as this may be my next mod. Thanks
Yes they get the power from the grid, but it is the internal distribution in the campground that can become the problem. Such as age, size of material,workmanship of installation and maintaining that equipment. This is just a few of the items involved. By the way surge protection is available and recommended by a lot of utilities for your home. Some will even come to you and recommend a size for you stick home. My REMC will do this for me. JMO.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:52 AM   #10
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Problems with campground power can come in two basic forms, power surges and brownouts (voltage drops), and either problem can happen due to a variety of causes. Both can result in damage to air conditioners, televisions, microwaves and anything with a motor or circuit board. This can run into thousands of dollars. Besides the reasons that John stated, add lightening storms a tree falling on power lines feeding the campground (this can occur miles away), someone running into a utility pole, etc.
I also agree that the next thing would be getting rid of the Chinese road bombs. This I know from firsthand experience.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #11
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

The mod that I truly rank higher than anything therefore it was not assigned a number is the replacement of the Mara-bombs with 614's.
Amen to that, Bingo!
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:01 AM   #12
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Jayco 7 Years Montana 8 years never a surge or low voltage condition just my 2 Cents
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:04 AM   #13
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

The mod that I truly rank higher than anything therefore it was not assigned a number is the replacement of the Mara-bombs with 614's.
Bingo
Our #1 mod as well!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #14
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Ken & Ginny,
It only needs to happen once.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #15
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
[quote]Originally posted by NCFischers

Ken & Ginny,
It only needs to happen once.
[/quote

So far so good
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #16
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
It happened to me in Orlando at the 1000 Trails park. Pedestal about four spots from us went out and they had trouble diagnosing the problem. I did not know they had a problem as I could not see for the other rigs. I tried resetting our breakers outside a couple times and something popped. When I got back in, no microwave and bedroom TV was blown. Had I had surge protection at that time it would have saved both....Ken and Ginny, that's a great record, hope it continues......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #17
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
I agree as well ... EMS 1st then get rid of the Marabomb tires. I breathe easier with these 2 mods installed.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #18
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
What kind of surge protection device is everyone running? I've seen (in ads) the kind that go in line with your power cord...is that adequate or do I need something more elaborate? I agree with the importance of this as a high priority mod (as a loooong time power company employee) but also will be replacing my PowerKing TowMaster tires as soon as I get the new trailer home.
Still looking at other mods too of course!
Old 02-07-2011, 01:41 AM   #19
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Any surge protection is better than no surge protection. I personally chose the Progressive Industries model EMS-HW50C which is a hard-wired concealed device that has a remote digital readout. It runs around $350. If you are interested, here is a link that shows in detail what protection it provides:

Progressive Industries EMS

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:45 AM   #20
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Bingo does the 50 amp EMS also work if you are using 30 amp service. I'm sure it would on the 30 amp leg, Thanks.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote