Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2017, 12:46 PM   #1
Curtiss & Sharon Dorr
Established Member

M.O.C. #20505
Fresh Water Tank drain on 2018 Montana 3120RL

Help! It can’t be that complicated... can it?!

We just picked up our new 2018 Montana 3120RL and the low-point fresh water drain (driverside in the tank drain control center), when open, will not release / drain fresh water tank. Tank reads 3/4 full on interior gauge. The hot water heater low-point drain works great... what am I missing? (It can’t be that complicated!)

Thanks!

Curtiss

Curtiss & Sharon Dorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:52 PM   #2
whiterose
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18353
On a new unit your gauge should be accurate, so figure that you are definitely 3/4 full. The valves in the convenience center are for draining the water lines, not the holding tank.
The drain for the fresh water holding tank will protrude (about once inch) through the plastic underbelly to the rear of the RV, mine has a cap that is colored white.
If you are in the process of winterizing, just draining the lines and tank will not protect you.
whiterose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 01:26 PM   #3
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Rnot sure if I got you right, but the drain for the 3120 is to the rear of the trailer
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:04 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Water tank drains are in the rear, usually on the street side under the rig near where the tank vent is on the side or rear.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:25 PM   #5
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtiss & Sharon Dorr View Post
Help! It can’t be that complicated... can it?!

We just picked up our new 2018 Montana 3120RL and the low-point fresh water drain (driverside in the tank drain control center), when open, will not release / drain fresh water tank. Tank reads 3/4 full on interior gauge. The hot water heater low-point drain works great... what am I missing? (It can’t be that complicated!)

Thanks!

Curtiss
I think you are confusing the low point drain for the coach cold water plumbing with the fresh water TANK drain. The drains where you tie in your water supply on the drivers side are actually designed to drain your water lines throughout your coach. The fresh water TANK is lower than all that plumbing and will have a drain coming off of it. Not sure exactly where your tank is located but I am sure someone will clear it up here. Also take note that if you have an icemaker in your unit there will be a second drain line under the coach that drains the line going to the icemaker. The icemaker line does not at least on our unit does NOT drain thru the low point drain.

Basically to drain ALL your lines you have to open the hot and cold low point drains, Open the spigots inside for air. Open both the fresh water tank drain and the icemaker low point drain. Plus you have to take the Cathode plug out of the hot water tank so it will drain (hot water tank does not drain out of the hot plumbing low point drain line only the plumbing lines do).

If your trying to winterize your unit there are several good threads on here related to that as well.....
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #6
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Our 2018 High Country has two drain valves that pass thru the underbelly. They are black. One drains the fresh water tank and the other is the low point drain for the icemaker line.

To fully drain the plumbing you have to open both those valves, open the hot and cold water drain lines in the water utility area and pull the cathode plug on the hot water tank.
Like Whiterose said draining the lines alone will NOT protect you from freezing. There are several good threads on here about winterizing your rig though....
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:52 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Curtiss and Sharon-- Your fresh water tank is I the rear of your unit and the drain is just a tube hanging down from the underbelly with a cap on it. To drain it all you have to do is remove that cap. Watch out however because the water will really come shooting out and since your gauge is saying 3/4 full that means you have approximately 45 gallons of water in that tank IF it is a 60 gallon tank( I did not check the specs on your unit to verify this). Since you are down in AZ and it is a bit warmer there than up north where we're at you may be able to get by by just blowing the lines out. That is IF your temps do not reach below freezing for any long period of time. I still blow mine out up here in Nebraska but I use about 50# of pressure. This clears them out pretty good. If you need info on how to do this just drop me a PM and I'll be happy to tell you how I do it. Enjoy that new unit and maybe we'll cross paths this winter since we're heading your way in about a month or so.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 09:15 PM   #8
Curtiss & Sharon Dorr
Established Member

M.O.C. #20505
Thanks everyone!!

Whiterose, mtheo, DQDick, MtLakeJim, and Rondo...

Thanks so much you guys!! All your input helped me drain our fresh water tank... it wasn’t complicated... once you told me where to look it was simple and easy (just as I thought I’d should be)!

No doubt in the future I’ll have more questions! I’ll look forward to learning and sharing... and I look forward to meeting you someday soon!

Thanks MOC guys!!!

Curtiss
Old 12-11-2017, 06:33 AM   #9
San Antonio Bob

M.O.C. #20933
Just a note; I'm new to the forum; just purchased my second Montana; been reading the posts for a week or so and decided to jump in. When you winterize and if you have the black tank flush, don't forget it. Being in San Antonio, I use the forced air method to winterize. I blow some air through the black tank flush to clear any water. I did have it freeze and break on my first Montana.
San Antonio Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 02:17 PM   #10
Curtiss & Sharon Dorr
Established Member

M.O.C. #20505
Thanks Bob!
Old 01-01-2018, 08:39 AM   #11
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
If you leave some in the black tank and are connected to shore power, can you simply turn on the tank heater to keep it from freezing? We’re having a week of lows in the teens but plan on camping again soon. I drained and flushed all (hwh, lines, etc). The pump plumbing also had to be disconnected - about qt. of water was still in it and it’s tubing. What a pain. The heater would work for the fresh tank too. I know my way is not the same as you guys in cold country that put the RV to sleep for the winter.

Tags
drain, fresh water, water