Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2007, 04:55 AM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Break In

Well it happened finally with my Monty, the little A**-hole got into our stuff.
They went through the dinet window, after they busted it off the brackets then put a little person through it, and then had them open the door. they didnt have any lights so they used my spotlight that was stored in the chair to see. they got my jar of quarters we use for the wash machines about $50 there, took some of my tools and my spotlight.
Busted all the compartment doors open, those were a easy fix by bending the cams back again to flat, but the doors need touch-up where pried open with screw driver along with the entry door.
They did not take the flat screen TV or the VCR in the bed room, ??? easy pickins but they declined cant say why.
we then took it to the adjuster and Mike Thompson RV for repair estament, WOW----$2100.00 I near pinched one there. glad I have insurance, as for the personal items the home owners wont cover it because of the deductable higher than the amount taken, so that is a loss there for us pluss the time in the shop for repair.
I have purchased a wireless alarm system ( after the horse is out of the barn of course ) it was recomended by the finger print officer they dont like noise when they are steeling so that will go in when I get the Monty back web site of the unit is: http://desertsecurity.com/products
the thing I like best is it uses PIR (Passive inferred recivers) inside the trailer I'll put one at the front and one at the rear faceing each other down the center of the rig it will cover the whole interior, and a wireless switch on the door, the seller said that it has its own battery sorce and will run up to 4 months with out a recharge on the main unit. we'll see what happens, I'll try to figure out what to use in the compartments either a switch for the doors or as recomended by the company using a PIR in the compartments I havent decided that just yet. the unit is up gradable for more wireless add-ons.
Good thing my Glock was removed from its hiding place, boy would that have been a mess.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:35 AM   #2
pep1977
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5248
Sorry to hear that you had to go through that, glad that no one was hurt. sucks that people are like that. good luck in your travels.
pep1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:37 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Well it just shows to go ya. If they want in no locks are going to keep them out.

The wireless infrared system should do the trick and like you I will probably look into them the day after.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:08 AM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Sorry to hear that. I know how we felt a few months ago when ours was stripped. We were lucky that it was at the dealer and they covered everything. I also took out the Glock before dropping it off, glad I did because they took everything including our tooth brushes.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:17 AM   #5
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Sorry to hear this. People (thieves) like that just make you sick.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:46 AM   #6
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
TT, where were you when this happened? In an RV park or at home?

Very sorry to hear about it. One of the worst things about something like this is the feeling of personal invasion--at least that's the way I feel.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:46 AM   #7
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
There is a lot of low life scum out here and I'm sorry to see that you got hit.I worry about this also and I think about the cost for the dammage they will do when braking in.I think it would cost more to fix the dammage then to replace the things they would take,not to mention the incovenience so I never lock my storage doors and only lock my front door when I am here.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:29 AM   #8
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I agree with Padre on this one....the personal invasion would bother me the most. We don't have valuable personal items in the Monty so we don't have much that we'd miss. But the idea of someone crossing the line would really tick me off. Sorry that you had to experience this at the hands of some low life.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 09:48 AM   #9
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by padredw

TT, where were you when this happened? In an RV park or at home?
The trailer was in it's storage lot napping.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:19 AM   #10
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Don and Georgia - So very sorry to hear about your home invasion. We never think about a break in until we hear of one (thank goodness we hear infrequently). Appreciate the heads up on the security system. We are going to look into that.

When you say the perpetrators entered through the dinette window, do you mean the long narrow section that opens out?? Wow, they not only would have had to be little people, but also flexible to snake around the dinette table? Just curious as we also currently own the 2980 as well.
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:30 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by vickster

When you say the perpetrators entered through the dinette window, do you mean the long narrow section that opens out?? Wow, they not only would have had to be little people, but also flexible to snake around the dinette table? Just curious as we also currently own the 2980 as well.
Yep, thats where they came through that skinny little window, they probably lifted the critter up and let them in, the day night shade was lifted up first then they entered.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Don and Georgia, I'm really sorry to hear about your loss. It almost sounds like kids did it and they left the big heavy items, taking just those things they could easily carry. Does the storage lot have any insurance that would cover you or is that all written out of the contract?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 03:19 PM   #13
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Don and Georgia,

I am so sorry to hear about this unfortunate mess. Some friends from the forum came by the other night and we were just commenting on how these instances are few and far between. Then I come on and read this post. I am definately going to invest in some more security for when we are not at the trailer. Good luck with the repairs and insurance.
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:34 PM   #14
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
In November 2000, just before we started full timing, thieves broke into ours also. And it was stored in a "secure" parking lot with cyclone fence and chained padlock. The thieves cut the chain with a bolt cutter, broke into several rigs. Fortunately our was broken into through jimmying the door lock, so nothing got damage on the exterior. However, they stole the TV, stereo, and VCR. They scratched the table when they dragged the TV out over it. Didn't take the TV in the bedroom. We felt fortunate because other rigs were broken into by breaking the windows and the people didn't find out about it until spring after several snow storms.

As Glenn has said so many times, thieves will break in whenever they want to and we have to be wary. I'm not sure if an alarm system is the answer unless it lets go with such an ungodly wail that they will be scared out.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:48 PM   #15
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Don I sure hate to hear of your loss and bad luck. Dont you just wish you could get your hands on them for about 10 minutes? or would it take that long?
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:51 AM   #16
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
TT2 - very sorry to hear that happened!

I don't necessarily worry about the loss as it's insured and nothing is really high dollar stuff, but I do worry about the associated damage that goes with it and the potential to sabotage a long earned vacation.

There are some of those devices that will call your cell phone. Problem is that there is a monthy fee.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:17 PM   #17
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Thanks for all the nice words from everybody, it makes VENTING a pleasurable thing.

UPDATE

Well I got the alarm system today it's realy a nice setup, for a non hard wire product, It has a home mode that does not read the motion sensors and just has the doors alarmed while you sleep, but dont forget to turn it off before you take fido out to potty, or you will wake up the whole campground. God is that thing loud, I set it off in the house and that was without the external siren attached, I wont do that again, it also has a panic alarm button on the key FOB.
I will get the blue strob light, and attach that to the front cap High enugh where it is not noticed.
the nice thing is that I can take it with me when or if we upgrade our trailer and install it on the new one.
Old 06-24-2007, 05:41 AM   #18
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
TT2,

Thanks for keeping us aware! From your recommendation, we will look into an alarm system.

So sorry to hear of your loss.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 05:57 AM   #19
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
Sorry to hear of the break-in. The storage lot where I'm at also has camera's all around that I can access at home on the internet and is also monitored at a remote location. That said I'm going to put in an alarm system also.
Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 06:19 AM   #20
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331

Don:

Which RV Storage place near SF Springs were you using? I'm thinking of using the place on Excelsior Ave, just north and parallel to the 5. Excelsior is the first cross street north of the 5 on Carminita where Carminita crosses the 5. Just want to be sure that isn't the "break in" place.

Thanks,

PJ
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote