Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #1
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
A C running nearly constantly

Well..... Here I sit in sunny Florida. First time I've been here in June and temps are reaching into the 90's during the daytime. I was wondering how my single AC would fare in deep south heat and now I know.

When exposed to direct sunlight at these temps, the AC runs nearly constantly. It's able to keep the interior temp of the rig in the high 70's, so I guess I should be grateful. I'm just wondering how long the AC will last working this hard??

If I find a deal I can't refuse on a unit for the bedroom, I might be tempted. My unit has the AC prep and 50 amp service so I'd be good to go. Looks like it's going to be a long hot summer.

Gary

wileecoyote985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:26 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
An AC running constantly is better than an AC constantly recycling. Once the compressor kicks in and gets the AC cooling and than shutting off is not hurting anything. The AC shutting off and than coming on again puts the compressor under a lot of undo strain.
When we were in Florida last July and August the AC only shut down at night as the outside temps drooped. The daytime temps at that time were 94 to 98 everyday with the humidity around 80%. I didn't have the 2nd AC at that time but we did order it in the new Monty. Hope I'm never in such a heated situation where I need the 2nd AC but you just never know.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:26 AM   #3
AZCampinfool
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5430
Hey Gary, same here in AZ except it is 100 plus outside. My a/c runs non stop and I am lucky if it gets below the mid 80's inside the fiver during the hot part of the day. I even put reflectix foiled covered bubble insulation in the windows to help keep out the heat. Luckily we don't camp where it is hot this time of year and just experience this when I have it parked at the house for loading and unloading. Like you, I am always on the look out for that smoking deal on the 2nd a/c. One unit is just not enough in extreme heat.
AZCampinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 11:46 AM   #4
Chuck and Carol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1011
Camping World is have a sale plus free installation until June 15th.

Carol
Chuck and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 12:29 PM   #5
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Thanks all. It eases my mind that the constant running is normal.

I guess I'm just learning about summer temps in the south. Just doesn't get into the 90's much in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. That's in the past though because I just went from being a Yankee to being a darn Yankee as I'm living in Florida full time now.

I'd better get used to it. Should be starting a new job for Florida Forestry in the next week or two. Then I'll get to drive a dozer and fight wildfires in this heat. Oh well.... Won't hurt to sweat off a few pounds. LOL
Old 06-10-2007, 04:35 PM   #6
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Yes it does - even on many mid summer days way up here in N. Lower Mich - just like the Energizer Bunny...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 12:30 AM   #7
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
The 15k air conditioner in our 2007 Mountaineer 307 RKD seems to struggle when the temp out side is in the 80's. Our 2004 SOB of similar size with a 13K unit was consderably cooler. Its the one thing that dissapoints me about our new monte.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:46 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Our main A/C does a great job keeping us cool. We held off 115 degree heat index for several days last summer in our 2007 3400 with only the main going (we do have a second A/C that we use as a backup). Never got over 74 inside. I have to add that we are shaded though. But still, 115 degrees is 115 degrees anyway you look at it. Humidity just makes it feel more miserable and it is a danger for mold development in the Montana - or any RV for that matter...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 05:31 AM   #9
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
I'm pretty much in direct sun here. When I get some shade (which I don't get for most of the day), the AC doesn't have any problem keeping up. That ol' radiant heat from the structural materials heating up because of direct sunlight really makes a difference.

Still. Keeping you cool at a 115 heat index is impressive. Can't ask for much more than that.

Gary
Old 06-11-2007, 05:55 AM   #10
5rvers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4327
Below is the link for the place I bought my second air conditioner. It's the Carrier 7.5 inches low profile 13.5k AC with heat strip.

http://stores.ebay.com/FAMILY-RV-PARTS-STORE
5rvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 07:00 AM   #11
wileecoyote985
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2134
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 5rvers

Below is the link for the place I bought my second air conditioner. It's the Carrier 7.5 inches low profile 13.5k AC with heat strip.

http://stores.ebay.com/FAMILY-RV-PARTS-STORE
Those look to be great prices. I may check to see if they have a customer pick up option instead of shipping. I'll be attending a school near the New Port Richey area sometime in the near future.

Thanks
Gary
Old 06-11-2007, 04:40 PM   #12
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Yep, This is our 3rd year in the Monty in Central Fl, spending a good part of each year during the summer months and she keeps on cranking, even in this heat. We just have the single unit (50 Amp service), and thought about putting in the 2nd unit, but haven't done it yet. The key is to keep the filter and coil clean. Per Ozz on another thread, that is about all of the maintenance that is required. We also plan to head back to Michigan by the end of this month.

Jim
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:08 AM   #13
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
We just spent a week at Grand Isle, LA, and the AC got a good workout. A second unit is definitely in our plans. I had thought about a small unit for the bedroom, but I'm thinking of another 15K now.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:01 AM   #14
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Being we are talking about this, may I ask,other than the 50amp and the pre wire, is the ceiling supported any other way with the a/c prep in the bedroom. Thanks
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:22 AM   #15
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Need some education with regards to the single air conditioner please. Ours also is running full time during the days but only manages to cool in the heat of the day about 5 degrees below the outside temperature. In our previous TT, if the quick cool vent was open, the air would instantly cool a body with an impressive hair-blowing breeze. In the Monty, even with the knowledge that the ceiling is higher, the velocity of the air from the AC does not even approach half of our previous TT. I am going to check the temperature of the air coming out with a remote unit on our two unit temperature station to see what it is. It seems like the quick cool is only coming out of one side of the vents. Would appreciate any comments as to whether it seems this AC is functioning properly with regards to the air velocity.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:33 PM   #16
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
You should be able to bring the inside temperature down around 15 degrees from the outside temperature if all is well with your A/C. You may need to block out the sun by using the silver bubble insulation on some of the windows that face the afternoon sun.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:44 PM   #17
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bingo, the test is; check the space temperature versus the temperature coming out of the vent. If you have 20-25 degree difference in temperature, the A/C unit is working. The trailers are just not insulated enough to stand direct sunlight in very hot weather. Too much heat gain from the roof and walls to get much temperature relief. I would suggest 2 A/C units on any trailer if you spend much time in hot weather. I put a 15K in my bedroom.
Use high speed and use the 'dump' damper in the daytime.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 02:17 PM   #18
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks all, I am definitely going to add the 2nd ac, but with our (read DW) summer schedule it will have to wait until the end of season. I think the AC blows plenty cold air enough, just doesn't seem to me that the velocity is there that it should have. I have read with interest the posts regarding the shower sunroof and the other vents and will be looking at closing them off with the reflective bubble foil for our beach trip.

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:35 PM   #19
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
I think we need to add a second a/c also. consistently only saw 4 degree difference between inside and outside. had the fantastic fan in auto though. I "think" it began to work better once I turned the fan off but am not sure.

saw the link for the carrier a/c. Does anyone know if it will work as zone 2 on the thermostat? If not is there as specific brand/model that can be controlled by the thermostat. My last TT a/c was not thermostat controlled, so the fan ran all the time and it was loud. Since we are talking adding one in the bedroom noise is not good.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 01:53 AM   #20
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I like to point all the vents back to the main living area. Never turn AC where it shuts the blower off that will help keep the humidity lower, AC may cycle but the blower keeps working.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote