Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-08-2007, 04:28 PM   #1
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
MONTANA WARRANTY

When does our membership mean enough to keystone to start with a 2 year warranty and in 5 years work up to a 3 year warranty as most cars ands trucks have today .. the rv industry is afraid to stand behind there products.. this is all brands and types of units they are afraid .. no lemon law either .. i feal between family motor ass and the monta club we should have some power to start looking into longer time .. are they afraid or what

just a thought john

sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:11 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
John,

I agree with your thoughts, but highly doubt we will ever see it. Think of the marketing, PR, and sales increase Keystone would achieve by offering a full two year hitch to bumper warranty...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:04 PM   #3
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Now that would be terrific to see from Keystone!
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Montana Sky, while I also hope someday this happens I also believe it will being snowing somewhere in the tropics first. Just looking at a few of the problems coming out of the factories, someone just posted a New Big Sky with many problems. Rich and all of his problems and "melt down" over the past year. These a 2 of the many that I've read about, how many others have we not heard about? There is no way on gods green earth that the rv industry is going to warranty a rv for more than they do today. 12 months. why? because they don't have to. there's still enough people that will buy a rv and use it a couple of times and then sell it. the cycle just keeps continuing. Also we as owners don't make the factories and mfg fix the problems. we fix them ourselves. we don't hold the mfg up to the same standards as any other industry. Auto, construction (homes or building in general). The rv industry has spent big $ to be left alone, so far it has worked for them. Hopefully someday it may change and become better for the consumer.

I'm just very lucky to have a Montana with very few issues so far.
Just my personal observation,
Chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:11 AM   #5
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Had many sad stories in the hot tub while in Texas this past winter about RV'S. I could not belive some of the things that happen to folks and how much trouble they had trying to get things repaired. I deliver rv's part time out of Goshen to dealers all over the country and I find that when we go through the delivery check list at the dealership, they always find a number of things that are not right. This said the dealers only check for visual at this time,some do a better job than others. The dealer gives me a copy of the delivery check in that I put in my delivery packet which I send back to my transport company. The transport company sends all the delivery paperwork back to the manufacture. I would hope that all the folks that buy these rv's would take the time to really go over the one you are buying before you sign the papers and look real hard for things that are wrong. You should remember this rig was towed to the dealership it was not made there. Depending on where you live or purchase, this could be 2000 miles. The rv really gets a road test on the way to the dealer. Make the dealer set it up like you are useing it ,hook the water up,make hot water,flush the toilet,put water in the sinks ,run the furnace and the ac, turn on the tv, play the dvd, pull out the drawers and make sure the rear brackets are solid, do eversthing you would do after you take it off the lot.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 02:50 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Montana is the number 1 best selling fifth wheel and has been for several years. As long as we buy them why would keystone change anything.The consumer controls the market.. and BTW.. This forum is a insignificant % of Montana Divison owners..Vocal yes..but our numbers have little or no impact on SIGNIFICANT decisions We are now over our 1 year Keystone warranty and we keep our Extended Warranty contract close by.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 03:58 AM   #7
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
We have had no serious problems with our unit. Durtherm replaced our main AC and fridge. Also Dometic/Durthern is replacing our microwave this month and it is on it third year of parts only, but they are replacing the whole microwave. How good is that?

Anyone try to drag their stick house down the road like we drag these Montana down the road and see how much goes wrong.

I know that a 3 year warranty would be great but no one will see this . It is unrealistic. If they ever do something like this the price will go up to the sky.
This being the top seller for 6 years, there are thousands of these units out there and there is bound to be some things go wrong in every brand. At least Montana seems to back up their product. And all their suppliers do too.

We are very happy with our Montana and will purchase another one and possibly another and another. If they can fix the location of washer/dryer and put a stack unit in the 3585 or 3485. This is important to us. But the satisfaction with Montana is great for us.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:12 AM   #8
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Follow the money. As Rich said, we keep buying them, it would cost lots of money to extend the warranty...why would they?
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 11:02 AM   #9
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Recently we bought SOB, when we picked it up they gave us 2 year bumper to bumper warranty, and for $100.00 more an additional year. i knew this going in and made the sales rep throw in the last year of bumper to bumper.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:46 PM   #10
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I realy don't think it will cost as much as they extra advertising they do to sell us a new unit ,.. remember in cars and trucks how many people say i trade every 3 years as i get a warrenty but they never realy take it in for warrenty as its a pain in the butt .. i don't think in year 2 there is 1'10 the problem that is ther in year 1 .. think of the selling tool the dealer would have but we all know we never go back for half the problems on our cars , just a business thought as if they have a budget of 500.00 per unit for advertising and they now had a 2 year war ,in the long run they could cut the budget by 100.00 and pay for the wran ,, its all a selling tool to make us buy every 3 or 4 years
its still a good business des .. john
Old 06-11-2007, 11:12 AM   #11
1pollyanna

M.O.C. #6340
I am checking on recalls on 2006 3295RK converters. Our converter just quit. How would I find out about recalls on Montana converters?

Morris Wharton
1pollyanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:14 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You may still be within the 1 year bumper to bumper warranty or check you paperwork for the vendor warranty.
Old 06-11-2007, 03:54 PM   #13
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
we hear a lot about a few problems but look at the car industry and see toyota and nissan which was ready to file bankrupcty a few years back and its all quality and as soon as the other people see this their sales will go up ,, we have a lot of brands out there but if brand x put out a 2 year warr we all know their sales would double in 2 years so if they double some of the small brands are gone just like in a lot of business ,,, we need a leader and keystone has to step up on a few of the brands ,, like the top $ items you never see the corvette with rebates on it do you ..
Old 06-12-2007, 06:55 AM   #14
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
We had our A/C Unit replaced and slideout pump assy replaced under warranty after our one year ran out. There are some Vendor items that are covered longer than one year. What you need to be sure of doing is using your trailer as much as possible that first year so that everything gets used often. We didn't really put ours to the test until I got transferred and we lived in it for the second half of the first year. We may have not found all of the problems that first year because half of the year it would have been in storage. Actually that is why the warranty is more like a 6 month warranty because most folks have their trailer in storage for half the year.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:37 PM   #15
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Sounds like some may have gotten a lemon; we got a peach.

We will have been fulltiming for 9 months on July 1, 2007 and have not had any problems at all! "Knock on wood".

No matter what type of warranty they offer, we will buy another Montana.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 04:53 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
As of July 20th, we have been fulltiming in our 2007 3400RL for one full year. We are loving it!
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:08 PM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We would agree with the.. use it as much as you can the first year during warranty.If something is going to go wrong it will no doubt go wrong during the first year.That is exactly what happend in our case. From May 06 to April 07 we put about 10/12 K miles on the 3400 and lived in it about 6 months. Plenty went wrong with the hard use and we took a long list to the service center less than a month before the warranty was up.All was corrected we have not had a single problem since and we are still on the road and using the 3400 hard.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:38 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sailer, you may have noticed there are no advertisements in any magazines or other media for Montana.

I have to wonder what an additional warranty year or two would cost Keystone. I'm sure the cost would be passed on to the consumer in the base price. Or maybe they could offer the additional year(s) as an option, at reasonable extra cost. I'd sure consider that.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote