Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 10:49 AM   #1
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
New tires

I need to replace the tires on my 2019 373RD and would like some good suggestions. I have read many posts regarding Saliuns but I would like to hear if there are other brands as well. I plan on going with a g rated tire. Also if anyone knows a good tire shop in the Bristol TN/VA area. Thanks

Old 10-21-2020, 11:01 AM   #2
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdexte View Post
I need to replace the tires on my 2019 373RD and would like some good suggestions. I have read many posts regarding Saliuns but I would like to hear if there are other brands as well. I plan on going with a g rated tire. Also if anyone knows a good tire shop in the Bristol TN/VA area. Thanks

There are no other brands that have the price vs. quality and a proven track record.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #3
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagleback View Post
There are no other brands that have the price vs. quality and a proven track record.
Thank you, what would the correct model be? G rated 85
Old 10-21-2020, 11:47 AM   #4
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sdexte View Post
Thank you, what would the correct model be? G rated 85
IMO your best upgrade would be the ST235/80R16 LRG. It will give you more than 350# of load capacity per tire above the current LRF tires and still be compliant with the vehicle certification label.

The standard LRG is an all steel constructed tire. I'd shop around. There are manufacturers that provide that tire nation wide without having to have it mailed to you. That's real advantageous if you were to have to replace one on the road.
Old 10-21-2020, 11:55 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Every time the subject of tires comes up, I usually get my hand slapped. But in our past, we had Carlisle's on our previous travel trailers and never had any problems, ever. And we now have Hercules tires on ours now. 14 ply ST235/80R16.... 2 years, thousands and thousands of miles now, no signs of wear, tread still about 1/2 inch deep. The reason we went with these, was because we had a blow-out 6 months after purchasing the trailer and we were 500 miles from home. The only place that had tires for a trailer was a semi-truck tire repair shop. So, what we ended up with, was tires for a commercial semi truck trailer.

Think-outside the box? You just never know what you'll come up with!
Old 10-22-2020, 10:23 AM   #6
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
Every time the subject of tires comes up, I usually get my hand slapped. But in our past, we had Carlisle's on our previous travel trailers and never had any problems, ever. And we now have Hercules tires on ours now. 14 ply ST235/80R16.... 2 years, thousands and thousands of miles now, no signs of wear, tread still about 1/2 inch deep. The reason we went with these, was because we had a blow-out 6 months after purchasing the trailer and we were 500 miles from home. The only place that had tires for a trailer was a semi-truck tire repair shop. So, what we ended up with, was tires for a commercial semi truck trailer.

Think-outside the box? You just never know what you'll come up with!

It seems most of these All Steel radials 235/80/16 ,and 235/85/16 have stepped up their game. You are a giving the Hercules a good review ,Westlakes is another, seems like there are several.

Then there is Sailun ,which seems to get the best reviews ,can't be beat in price. As far as size the OP asked about the 235/85/16, not a problem, being just 1" taller ,and a better weight rating. Most of our fifth wheels come with the 235/80/16's ,but many go the 85's
Old 10-22-2020, 11:01 AM   #7
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
It seems most of these All Steel radials 235/80/16 ,and 235/85/16 have stepped up their game. You are a giving the Hercules a good review ,Westlakes is another, seems like there are several.

Then there is Sailun ,which seems to get the best reviews ,can't be beat in price. As far as size the OP asked about the 235/85/16, not a problem, being just 1" taller ,and a better weight rating. Most of our fifth wheels come with the 235/80/16's ,but many go the 85's
The 85s invalidate the vehicle owner's manual, tire and load placard and the vehicle certification label. The 80s do not.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:25 AM   #8
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
The 85s invalidate the vehicle owner's manual, tire and load placard and the vehicle certification label. The 80s do not.
If the trailer is out of warranty how does that effect it?

Old 10-22-2020, 11:28 AM   #9
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Maybe you could tell us the the problem other then the sticker. Maybe some legal problem or just some rule that really doesn't amount to much.

IMO you can't go too wrong with some added weight rating, and a bit of height if out of level is a concern. Although its not much ,but every bit helps.
Old 10-22-2020, 11:30 AM   #10
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny K View Post
I too am very curious every time this is posted .
Old 10-22-2020, 01:25 PM   #11
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Maybe you could tell us the the problem other then the sticker. Maybe some legal problem or just some rule that really doesn't amount to much.

IMO you can't go too wrong with some added weight rating, and a bit of height if out of level is a concern. Although its not much ,but every bit helps.
Height can be a problem not only between the 2 tires (x-chocks may not fit) and you may start to have tires rubbing the underside of the trailer tearing up the draco covering. Bin there done that.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #12
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
What's the warranty got to do with it?

What the invalidation does in this case has to do with tire Designated size and recommended cold inflation pressures.

When going from a ST235/80R16 to a ST235/85R16 its called plus sizing. There is a standard tire industry procedure that will include setting a new recommended cold inflation pressure for the plus sized tires. Also in the procedure there are recommendations to make pen & ink changes in the vehicle owner's manual and apply supplemental tire and inflation stickers adjacent to the factory installed placards. (It's called "protecting the field").

When operating without a recommended cold inflation pressure for your tires you're pi--ing in the wind ever time you air your tires.

In the automotive industry there are lists of acceptable replacement tires by designated size provided to retailers. That is not practiced in the RV trailer industry. Therefore, consumers have been provided with a NHTSA mandated statement in the vehicle owner's manual to seek approval/recommendations for replacement tires from the vehicle manufacturer. When you use unapproved replacement tires you're then operating in an unsafe zone. I assume how unsafe will be determined by authorities investigating your vehicle for safety.
Old 10-22-2020, 04:32 PM   #13
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
What's the warranty got to do with it?

What the invalidation does in this case has to do with tire Designated size and recommended cold inflation pressures.

When going from a ST235/80R16 to a ST235/85R16 its called plus sizing. There is a standard tire industry procedure that will include setting a new recommended cold inflation pressure for the plus sized tires. Also in the procedure there are recommendations to make pen & ink changes in the vehicle owner's manual and apply supplemental tire and inflation stickers adjacent to the factory installed placards. (It's called "protecting the field").

When operating without a recommended cold inflation pressure for your tires you're pi--ing in the wind ever time you air your tires.

In the automotive industry there are lists of acceptable replacement tires by designated size provided to retailers. That is not practiced in the RV trailer industry. Therefore, consumers have been provided with a NHTSA mandated statement in the vehicle owner's manual to seek approval/recommendations for replacement tires from the vehicle manufacturer. When you use unapproved replacement tires you're then operating in an unsafe zone. I assume how unsafe will be determined by authorities investigating your vehicle for safety.

I was following along until we got to the authorities investigating your vehicle for safety. First off the subject is 85's instead of 80's . In my case the Sailun S637 ST 235/85/16 .The Sailun 80 and 85's both are 110 psi for max weight rating. 85's having the higher weight rating. Now I'm not sure where we entered the unsafe zone with a higher weight rated tire.
Old 10-22-2020, 07:38 PM   #14
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
I was following along until we got to the authorities investigating your vehicle for safety. First off the subject is 85's instead of 80's . In my case the Sailun S637 ST 235/85/16 .The Sailun 80 and 85's both are 110 psi for max weight rating. 85's having the higher weight rating. Now I'm not sure where we entered the unsafe zone with a higher weight rated tire.
There is not a simple answer. If we do not do what we've been told to do we're in some area of violation. It's like GVWR; all vehicles have one and it's meaning is the same for all of them. DO NOT exceed GVWR.

So now we look for a precedent. In government regulations, when a precedent is set, all others written within the same category must follow the precedent, especially if it's from a higher authority. In 49 CFR there is a document that says, in part; A mismatch in size and construction between tires on the same axle, or a major deviation from the size recommended by the vehicle or tire manufacturer, is a cause for rejection. The standards for vehicle manufacturer's to follow are written to insure minimum safety requirements are met. Those standards (federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards) define tire sizes by their designation. Within the FMVSS the vehicle manufacturer is directed to provide tires by, designated size and insure their cold inflation pressures for those tires will assure they are appropriate for that Vehicle's GAWRs. That is the minimum standard for that fitment and must be displayed on the vehicle certification label, vehicle owners manual and on the tire and loading label.

When a consumer uses their own judgement about replacement tires; are they qualified to make such changes without seeking information about the vehicle that could be threatened by the use of their selections?

To help prevent that from happening NHTSA stepped in and mandated the following information be included in every RV trailer's owner's manual: Tire Size; To maintain tire safety, purchase new tires that are the same size as the vehicle’s original tires or another size recommended by the manufacturer.
Old 10-23-2020, 05:08 AM   #15
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
80s or 85s are perfectly OK. An upgraded tire is never wrong as long as the fit, form and functon work.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Old 10-23-2020, 09:03 AM   #16
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
80s or 85s are perfectly OK. An upgraded tire is never wrong as long as the fit, form and functon work.

My 15,500 GVWR fifth wheel tire, and inflation placard reads , LT 235/85/16 G
Cold Inflation 110 psi. So me running the Sailun ST 235/85/16's is not an upgrade .

I don't go running around reading the placards , but I am curious how many fifth wheels reads 85's instead of 80's on the placard .
Old 10-23-2020, 10:07 AM   #17
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Originally Posted by CalandLinda
[QUOTE= That is the minimum standard for that fitment and must be displayed on the vehicle certification label, vehicle owners manual and on the tire and loading label.[/QUOTE]

I guess you said it all with that statement. Going with an upgraded tire is fine.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:23 AM   #18
Sdexte
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24981
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I’ve made my choice, tires ordered, getting them installed on Monday. I guess we can end this thread now.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:10 AM   #19
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
My 15,500 GVWR fifth wheel tire, and inflation placard reads , LT 235/85/16 G
Cold Inflation 110 psi. So me running the Sailun ST 235/85/16's is not an upgrade .

I don't go running around reading the placards , but I am curious how many fifth wheels reads 85's instead of 80's on the placard .
When you replaced the LTs with STs you would actually have to comply with the procedure for "Plus Sizing" to do it correctly.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:18 AM   #20
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda

Going with an upgraded tire is fine.
That depends on how you go about doing it.
Closed Thread