Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2020, 05:01 PM   #1
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
FINALLY, Mini Splits for RV

Now, they are talking major upgrade in the RV world. Hopefully, a few has watched the video from New Horizon. But if not, great new product. I hope it proves successful. Hopefully, the link will be included and works. Interesting.

https://youtu.be/aDXKuZaMXoY

Old 06-30-2020, 05:50 PM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
New Horizons is a high end (read expensive) unit with a price range where those kind of upscale items are possible.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:22 PM   #3
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Yes I know. But, hopefully it will wake a few manufacturers up. Comparing the load requirements between the two A/C types is crazy. Solar would run the mini splits, campground wiring would be back to sufficient values, voltage would be back to normal in campgrounds, lower clearances on RV’s, less weight. I know I’m dreaming, but it’s a start, if the manufacturers would want to improve their products, and get up with the times.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:52 PM   #4
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Mini splits are the most efficient heating systems you can buy. We had a geothermal. When we put it in it was the most efficient heating system available. Several of our schools have them. All new school systems will be mini splits. The compressor went bad on the geothermal so we replace it with a mini split and our electric bill went down. The geothermal would only heat our home down to about 10 degrees. The mini split will put out at least 100% of its rated capacity to 5 degrees and will heat all the way down to -15 degrees. These are the wave of the future where it doesn’t get too cold, -15.
The nicest thing about a mini split is you can set each room a different temperature. We have a separate mini split for the sunroom. It is set at 72. The living room is set at 72, kitchen 70 and the bedroom is set at 64. We only use the bedroom unit when it’s too hot in the summer.
For most campers you wouldn’t need a furnace no extremely inefficient duct work no AC units. There would be a 1/4 inch and 3/8 copper tube run from the outside unit to the inside unit. Most residential ducts are only 80% or less efficient. These campers are probably less than 50% efficient. I’m not sure they would be that much more expensive than the junk that in campers now.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:53 PM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
https://www.supplyhouse.com/LG-14K-2...t-Pump-Package

About 2K for a 14KBTU unit
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:34 PM   #6
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
We have been looking at Mini Splits for our enclosed trailer build. There are a LOT of folks using them in the DIY enclosed trailers and to a fault they all rave about how much better they cool compared to a roof unit. Most are saying that one mini split of same btu will cool far better than two roof mounts.

And I also noticed that Spacecraft owners are going this route with the outside condenser hiding in the front cap of their builds.

Something tells me this might be a good way to go and as with most things I suspect the price will go down if they become popular enough.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 07:49 PM   #7
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
I always wondered how they would hide/install the compressor unit and fan on a fifth wheel. The video showed it enclosed flush with the side wall.
As far as a residential unit that I have in my house for upstairs, cannot even hear it run. Very nice and efficient.
Old 07-01-2020, 09:07 PM   #8
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesb View Post
I always wondered how they would hide/install the compressor unit and fan on a fifth wheel. The video showed it enclosed flush with the side wall.
As far as a residential unit that I have in my house for upstairs, cannot even hear it run. Very nice and efficient.
You have a link to the video? Highly interested!
Old 07-01-2020, 09:12 PM   #9
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
We are remodeling our 24' enclosed trailer into a toy hauler. With every step I take I get more and more confident that I could build a far superior product compared to what you get from Thor or the other commercial builders.

The mini splits is just one example of major improvements that could be made. How about a full 2" of Styrofoam insulation. Or all Aluminum frame construction with full box main beams......the list is simply too long to put on just one text but the gears are decidedly turning.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:52 AM   #10
DanandBrenda
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21176
I would love to have mini splits. i think they would actually work way better then what's in them from the factory.
Old 07-02-2020, 11:19 AM   #11
decarteaux
Established Member

M.O.C. #26474
The video shows a nice installation, too, except for the roof. These are smart and efficient units, but I do wonder about a retrofit on an existing trailer. Every model probably has its own issues, but I'd love to hear about anyone who has done this. I have a bedroom that could use some more cooling.

decarteaux in Fallon, NV
2008 Montana 3400RL, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 HD Laramie w/Cummins 5.9L 24 valve TurboDiesel. Andersen Ultimate hitch
decarteaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:24 PM   #12
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
You have a link to the video? Highly interested!
Link:

Old 07-02-2020, 07:33 PM   #13
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
From the looks of the condenser in the side of the trailer in the video either you on your patio or your neighbors on theirs is going to have a Sahara breeze with accompanying noise. I like the installs where the condenser is on the trailer tongue or in the back on the bumper.
Maybe the condenser could be mounted on its back on the roof?
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:59 PM   #14
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Good point. Definitely some issues with a side mount, for yourself on the curb side and the neighbors on the other. Looks to take a fair amount of room inside also.
Front would not be a good option as road debris and bugs would be a problem. That leaves the rear, and how to incorporate that much inside space. And get all the connections to the roof units.
Old 07-03-2020, 06:38 AM   #15
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Noticed in the video the outside fan is running very slow. That is typical of these units. They only move as much air as needed for both the outside and inside units. Your home ac or RV units the fan runs at 100 %. They make a gentle breeze not a wind storm.
They need a 1/4 and 3/8 inch copper line and an electrical wire to work. They don’t have a thermostat wall mounted. The thermostat is internal. You have a remote control for each individual inside unit.
Lynwood
Old 07-03-2020, 08:22 AM   #16
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Noticed in the video the outside fan is running very slow. That is typical of these units. They only move as much air as needed for both the outside and inside units.
Even at low air flow you would not want warm air blowing into your patio area. Especially if there was no breeze to blow it away.

Quote:
Your home ac or RV units the fan runs at 100 %. They make a gentle breeze not a wind storm. ..........
True of most. But our home Lennox high efficiency unit normally runs well below 100% unless demand speeds it up. Not even sure I have ever heard it run at full 100%.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:19 AM   #17
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
Even at low air flow you would not want warm air blowing into your patio area. Especially if there was no breeze to blow it away.

I think they are mounting these on the drivers side and as such they won't be in the patio area. And if as some have suggested they will be "blasting" the neighbor then obviously they are too dang close!!!! I'm going to call BS on that argument and suggest that the quieter operation might be welcome by the neighbor.

And we should note that New Horizon is already installing these on their high end units and they work great

True of most. But our home Lennox high efficiency unit normally runs well below 100% unless demand speeds it up. Not even sure I have ever heard it run at full 100%.
I don't think anyone is talking about mounting a full blown conventional home unit on their rig. And I am not inclined to suggest they be used as a retrofit on a current camper. We are looking at a mini split for our cargo trailer conversion though. But in that situation we can design to fit.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:01 PM   #18
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We have a 12.000 mini split on our sun room. It’s 90 degrees outside, there are 5 slinging glass doors and 3 skylights on it and I had to put my hand down I front of it to see if the outside unit was running. I don’t think your neighbors would be a problem.
Jim if you put a mini split in your trailer you will not be disappointed.
Lynwood
Old 07-03-2020, 01:38 PM   #19
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
We have a 12.000 mini split on our sun room. It’s 90 degrees outside, there are 5 slinging glass doors and 3 skylights on it and I had to put my hand down I front of it to see if the outside unit was running. I don’t think your neighbors would be a problem.
Jim if you put a mini split in your trailer you will not be disappointed.
Lynwood
The more I read on them the more I think your right. And prices are getting right too!

I am now even thinking that (based on what I saw from New Horizon) we could use a section of one of our storage compartments for a mini split. We really struggle here in the SE New Mexico desert and the roof airs while sleek and out of the way have never really performed as well as I would like.
Old 07-03-2020, 03:15 PM   #20
decarteaux
Established Member

M.O.C. #26474

See first post in this thread...

decarteaux in Fallon, NV
2008 Montana 3400RL, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 HD Laramie w/Cummins 5.9L 24 valve TurboDiesel. Andersen Ultimate hitch
decarteaux is offline   Reply With Quote