Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2016, 07:38 AM   #1
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Blown Hydraulic lines

Bringing in the slides to get the BS road ready for it to go in for Warranty work and I had a hydraulic line blow...spewing hydraulic fluid all over the battery compartment. I called the dealer about the blown line and told them that I couldn't get the rig in for them to replace the hydraulic hose because 2 of the 4 slides were still out and the Level-Up rams we still down. They told me to refill the hydraulic fluid reservoir and try bring in the slides and lifting the Level-Up rams. So I had to go to the store and get Hydraulic fluid because all I had was ATF (My 2007 used ATF but the 2014 BS uses Hydraulic fluid). Refill the tank, used vicegrips to crimp off the blown hose and had the DW push the button to bring the slides in...and it worked. Went out and pushed the Level-Up control pad to on...error. Pushed it on and off several times and it still read error. So I unplugged the control pad and replugged it finally it was working. Pushed the buttons and they were extremely difficult to get them to function. Finally got the Level-Up rams up and it hitched to the truck.
Dealer replaced hydraulic hose and has ordered a new Level-Up control pad.
Anyone else have a hydraulic hose for the Level-Up blow or have the control pad replaced? If so did you have any further problems?

Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
No I have never had a blown Hydraulic hose but on 2012 i had leaking hose so i just tightend it up and also I did not know you have to use Hydraulic fluid now on my 2015 Like you I used ATF on my 2012 but anyway glad you are getting it fixed where did you get it fixed? Tacoma Rv
Old 03-11-2016, 09:55 AM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Just curious ... who told you you must use hydraulic fluid in your reservoir? Many of us have added the red stuff on top of our clear OEM fluid. Lippert even stated to do so while responding to several MOC'rs inquiries. You really just need low viscosity oil with antifoaming agents similar to hyd oil or tranny fluid no matter what it's labeled.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 02:47 PM   #4
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Bigskyjimmy yes Tacoma RV. And yes the Amin changed the name saying it was inappropriate; sure didn't intend to offend anyone.

Dieselguy I called the dealer because it wasn't red fluid in the bottom of the battery compartment after the hose blew and it had me confused because in the 2007 3400RL we had it used ATF. After even had the dealer confirm because I had read the Lippert manual which indicates ATF. I was told that Lippert changed to Hydraulic fluid in or around 2014.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:49 PM   #5
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Dang I thought it was freak'in funny I guess admin does not share our sense of humor
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Fire5er

Bigskyjimmy yes Tacoma RV. And yes the Amin changed the name saying it was inappropriate; sure didn't intend to offend anyone.

Dieselguy I called the dealer because it wasn't red fluid in the bottom of the battery compartment after the hose blew and it had me confused because in the 2007 3400RL we had it used ATF. After even had the dealer confirm because I had read the Lippert manual which indicates ATF. I was told that Lippert changed to Hydraulic fluid in or around 2014.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:20 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
This is copied from the Lippert technical info sheet:

Rev: 01.29.2015 Page 1 TI - 188 Hydraulic Operation Fluid Recommendation
HYDRAULIC OPERATION FLUID RECOMMENDATION
TI-188
HYDRAULICS
Operation Conditions
1. Above Freezing
Note: Operation at air temperatures routinely above 0°C (32°F). *
A. Dexron 3/Mercon ATF
B. Mercon 5 ATF
C. Dexron 6 ATF
D. PetroBlend (Mason City, IA) PHO 0022S (synthetic group 3 base blend)
E. Bellman all temp 22 (Bremen, IN)
F. Or any ATF or hydraulic fluid with a pour point lower than -42°C (-45°F).
*Covers most initial OEM fills
2. Below Freezing
Note: Operation at air temperatures routinely below 0°C (32°F).
A. Mobil 1 full synthetic ATF
B. Royal Purple full synthetic ATF
C. Valvoline full synthetic ATF
D. Amzoil full synthetic ATF
E. PetroBlend (Mason City, IA) PHO 0022S (synthetic group 3 base blend)
F. Bellman all temp 22 (Bremen, IN)
G. Or any ATF or hydraulic fluid with a pour point lower than -42°C (-45°F)
H. Multivis (all temperature) iso 22 hydraulic fluid
I. Or any ATF or hydraulic fluid (conventional or synthetic) with a pour point lower than
-46°C(-50°F).
3. Extreme Cold
Note: Operation at air temperatures routinely below -18°C (0°F).
A. Kendall Glacial Blue
B. Benz oil (Milwaukee, WI) Flomite 530
Or any conventional or synthetic ATF or hydraulic fluid with a pour point less than -57°C (-70°F) and viscosity
less than 2850 cP @ -40°C (-40°F ).
Do not use ATF-TYPE F fluid as it will not allow the seals to work properly.

A couple years ago, I discovered a hose from the pump to the manifold had a bulge, but fortunately was not leaking. I consulted with a friend who wrenches on AG equipment, and he said to bring it over, with the trailer hitched up, all slides and jacks in, he removed the hose, and we took it to a local auto parts store. 20 minutes later, we walked out with a new hose, I think it's 6,000 psi rated, with the correct fittings, and went back to the trailer to install the hose. Cycled the hydraulics a couple times and it's fine. Cost? $20.00

rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 04:40 PM   #7
rgn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5555
I BLEW TWO ON MY 2005 3295 rk
rgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:45 PM   #8
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
rohrmann,
I know what it says and that's why I called them twice when I didn't find red ATF because I didn't want to mix ATF and Hydraulic fluid in my system. So I guess that they opted for F. Hydraulic vice the ATF with my unit.
My hose was split as it when through the hole from the battery compartment to the underbelly in the bundle of all the other hydraulic hoses...sure hope it doesn't happen again.

rgn,
Was that a black slid hose on your 2005...I don't think they are the same as the orange hoses for the Level-up system?
Old 03-12-2016, 03:53 PM   #9
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
bigskyjimmy,
I am glad you got the intended humor in my original title; I guess my 37 years around Navy guys and firefighters has messed with my sense of humor. You were right that there are too many ladies here and it was inappropriate. Again sorry to the ADMIN.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:41 PM   #10
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Fire5er, Type F fluid is the one you do not use, never has been allowed by Lippert. As far as hydraulic fluids and ATF, they are all hydraulic fluid, just the ATF has a coloring dye and some other additives for automatic transmissions. They are fully able to be mixed in any proportion, so there is no problem with compatibility.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 09:40 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We had a couple lines blow in our 06 3400 but in each case it was the fitting that failed replaced with quality fittings and not another problem.Wound up replacing all of them over time.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:53 AM   #12
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

All of the fluids listed in the Lippert manual start out as MIL5606 10 w petroleum oil. A non foaming additive is added and it becomes 10W Hydraulic fluid. Then dye is added and it becomes ATF with the exception of one of the Ford fluids that is specific to the ford transmissions installed in some of the older vehicles. A darker red dye is added and it becomes MIL5606 aircraft brake fluid. I think you get the idea.

None of this is applicable to the synthetic fluids they are not compatible with the fluids used in the Lippert hydraulic systems.

Use the cheapest ATF on the market and you have the proper hydraulic fluid for the Montana / Big Sky hydraulic systems.

For those of you with the disk brakes the fluid in the disk brake system may be glycerin based and is not petroleum based this system you have to be very careful with and use ONLY the fluid specified by the manufacturer.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 08:35 AM   #13
rafael33155
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13290
Send a message via MSN to rafael33155
2013 montana and i've had 2 controller replaced already find yourself a drill open the valve to the hydraulic slide you want to put in and use the drill in the back of the hydraulic motor with an allen wrench it will raise your levelers and will bring in your slidesout that's how i got my hydraulics to work manually go to lippert web site it show you how to by-pass your hydraulics
rafael33155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 10:26 AM   #14
ridersonthestorm

M.O.C. #29083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire5er View Post
Bringing in the slides to get the BS road ready for it to go in for Warranty work and I had a hydraulic line blow...spewing hydraulic fluid all over the battery compartment. I called the dealer about the blown line and told them that I couldn't get the rig in for them to replace the hydraulic hose because 2 of the 4 slides were still out and the Level-Up rams we still down. They told me to refill the hydraulic fluid reservoir and try bring in the slides and lifting the Level-Up rams. So I had to go to the store and get Hydraulic fluid because all I had was ATF (My 2007 used ATF but the 2014 BS uses Hydraulic fluid). Refill the tank, used vicegrips to crimp off the blown hose and had the DW push the button to bring the slides in...and it worked. Went out and pushed the Level-Up control pad to on...error. Pushed it on and off several times and it still read error. So I unplugged the control pad and replugged it finally it was working. Pushed the buttons and they were extremely difficult to get them to function. Finally got the Level-Up rams up and it hitched to the truck.
Dealer replaced hydraulic hose and has ordered a new Level-Up control pad.
Anyone else have a hydraulic hose for the Level-Up blow or have the control pad replaced? If so did you have any further problems?
I discovered my hydraulic line was leaking near the battery. Tried splicing but didn't work.. the line is outgoing from the fluid refill chamber.. Trying to trace the line... Where does the primary line join up??? If you can help me..Is it under the bed box or further in. I need a whole new line.. rossbilly42@gmail.com
ridersonthestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 11:33 AM   #15
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridersonthestorm View Post
I discovered my hydraulic line was leaking near the battery. Tried splicing but didn't work.. the line is outgoing from the fluid refill chamber.. Trying to trace the line... Where does the primary line join up??? If you can help me..Is it under the bed box or further in. I need a whole new line.. rossbilly42@gmail.com
Please post any replies to this question at https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=84636 so we can keep all the answers in one place.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote