Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-10-2013, 05:42 PM   #1
Jaru93
Established Member

M.O.C. #13896
decided on a 3402RL

Hello everyone, we've decided on a 3402RL and will be having our PDI on Friday. Any advice on specific items to check would be appreciated.

Jaru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:57 AM   #2
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Good choice, very nice rig.
Do a search and get the PDI list here on the forum, it will help you out tremendously. Enjoy the 3402 RL.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:02 AM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Check all doors , drawers and closets that they open and close properly. Make sure the AC and Furnace work. Check the propane regulator that it works and switches automatically. Fill all the holding tanks to capacity and check the underbelly for leaks.
Wiggle the valve stems and see if you can hear air escaping. Check the fridge for proper operation have the dealer turn it on the day before you do the PDI. Check the satellite and cable connections that they work properly. take your time and double check everything.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:20 AM   #4
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Congratulations on your new rig! May the wind always be at your back.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:24 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
If you have a RV buddy, take him with you, another set of eyes always helps.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:09 AM   #6
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

x2
We took my brother and his wife, as they were the ones that bailed on buying at the same time and model we did. I quote, "We'll buy one if you will and we'll have twins." I thought it only fitting.
Seriously though, when doing the PDI, the buyers inevitably have stars in their eyes. Taking someone along to do the PDI with you, they don't look at everything the same way the buyer does. Likewise for a female point of view versus a male point of view. I took a creeper with me to roll underneath even. In case of inclement weather,if possible, have the rig inside where it is well lit. Make sure you can stand back a ways to look it over on the outside as well, a lot can be missed in the cosmetic look if you can't. I learned this valuable lesson on our first SOB. It was raining, so it was inside, crammed into a single service bay. Needless to say, I missed a couple things. The male mind tends to think about the mechanics and function of everything, while the female tends to notice the looks of things(fit and finish). After you do the walk through with the salesperson or mechanic, have them leave you alone to go over it at YOUR own pace, don't be rushed.
DON'T SIGN A THING UNTIL YOU ARE SATISFIED OR ASSURED THAT YOU WILL BE. Dealership personel attitudes change drasticly AFTER you sign the bottom line.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:20 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
All of the above comments are right on, but Kevin's advice is key. The dealership will be in a hurry, they've got other things to do. The PDI list is a good one and a great place to start, but careful look everywhere. The factory (producing up to 20 a day) the delivery driver (making money by getting it there fast), and the dealer who may never have really looked it over may have caused or missed something. This is a strong issue with us because when we did the PDI we found one of our landing gear legs was cracked. Not something you would expect on a brand new rig.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
X3

Richfaa volunteered to go with us to our PDI and it was a huge help
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #9
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BethandKevin

Quote:

x2
After you do the walk through with the salesperson or mechanic, have them leave you alone to go over it at YOUR own pace, don't be rushed.
DON'T SIGN A THING UNTIL YOU ARE SATISFIED OR ASSURED THAT YOU WILL BE. Dealership personnel attitudes change drastically AFTER you sign the bottom line.

Sage advice. Trust but verify... after all, it's YOUR money that's being spent, not theirs.

Best of luck and congratulations!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #10
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

Quote:
X3

Richfaa volunteered to go with us to our PDI and it was a huge help

Too bad Richfaa is retired, I believe he'd be a good "buyers advocate". Dealers would fear him!
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:44 PM   #11
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
We would love to help ya too! Wish we could be there. Make sure the tires have the correct air pressure, check u-bolts for correct 60 ft lbs of torque that are attached to the axles, test the slides 2-3 times in/out and electric awning, test level up system 2-3 times.
Make sure propane is turned on, then disconnect the 50amp plug from the Montana and see if the fridge and hot water system turn over to use the propane when electric is disconnected and test furnace. This is just the tip of the iceberg.

Good luck and enjoy!
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #12
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
A very good floor plan. Hope you are beginning a wonderful experience. Go for it!
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:14 PM   #13
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Regardless whether you have the E range tires or you upgraded for the G range tires, make your first stop at a tire dealer to get the tires/wheels balanced. Check ahead of time to make sure they can lug balance your tires instead of hub balancing them. Wouldn't be a bad idea to check around before hand to avoid the frustration of dealing with dumb looks when you ask it to be done that way. Also verify that all the lights work when connected to your tow vehicle, brakes, turn signals, running lights. Make sure the brakes set when you pull out the breakaway plug, and then release when plugged back in, and of course the brakes work when connected to the tow vehicle. Good luck and happy travels.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #14
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
It would be impossible to address every facet of operation of your new purchase or predetermine every possible problem that might happen once you have taken possession. While a well planned PDI is important, it should not cause too much stress.

As you use and become accustomed to the new purchase you will find things that may have appeared to work properly during the PDI but later seem to not function as you think they should, that will be normal. You will find things that come loose, break off or don't fit properly, it is important to document those things and inform your dealer prior to the expiration of your warranty so that they can be repaired.

I will give you one example, During the PDI on our 3402RL the AC was fired up and appeared to work just fine. However we found later that the return air ducts from each side of the living area were pretty much collapsed and were significantly restricting the air into the AC. If Keystone has not addressed the issues with that ducting then one might want to use a light and a mirror and check them both out. I am not suggesting doing this during the PDI but it was a problem on many units.

The best way to discover any issues is to get out there and use it, use all the systems and become familiar with them and how they work.

We are very pleased with the floorplan on our 3402RL and have addressed the initial issues and problems over the first two years of ownership. We now hope we are going to be treated better by our Montana. Enjoy the new investment.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:24 AM   #15
Jaru93
Established Member

M.O.C. #13896
Thank you everyone for all your replies. We are pretty excited! We're taking a good friend with us as a third set of eyes. I think our biggest decision will be do we buy an extended warranty (we are leaning towards not)? Thanks again for all your help. I'll try to post pictures after we get it home.

Jim & Ruth
Jaru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #16
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
You'll have a full year to decide on the extended warranty-until the factory runs out. At least we did at CW.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:29 AM   #17
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Yes wait on the extended warranty, like Kevin said. The ext warranty will save you BIG BUCKS down the road (no pun intended). My advice is to get the most years you can. I mistakenly went with a 5 year plan instead of the seven year plan and I felt like I was walking on egg shells the second that warranty went off. Surely I wouldn't have this 3400 for more than 5 years before trading it in??? Wrong. We feel very comfortable in our Monty and it feels like it is still new. It is our second home and we love it. Also, most extended warranties are transferable if you do sell before it is up an that adds to the value...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
had the 7 years RV shield Extended warranty on the 06 3400 and got triple our money back on it. Got the GS 3 year plan on this 13 3402 because we do not intend to have it longer than that. Would not be on the road without a extended warranty.Will be using it on this 13 3402 after 17 months.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote