Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
Papafish
Established Member

M.O.C. #13739
Propane/furnace-oven

Hi to all. I'm a new member and first time owner of a 2010 3400RL. We love the Montana and this fourm and hope someone can help with a propane issue. I have 2 full propane tanks, some time the furnace will work sometime not. When it doesn't neither will the stove, the burners will light for a couple min then dim and go out. We've switched back and forth between tanks but no change. Do you think this sounds like a bad regulator? Common problem? Thanks,Steve

Papafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Does this happen only when you open the tanks for the first time or off and on after the tanks have been on for a while. If it's when the tanks are first opened it could be that you're opening them too fast. That causes a safety valve to close and very little or no propane will come out. If it's intermittent when the tanks have been open I'd check the regulator they have been known to be an issue.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #3
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Since problem happens with either tank, common source is the automatic change over valve.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
Tom Smith
Established Member

M.O.C. #10236
Mine was doing that and I had 2 bad hoses. They have a check valve in them that fails.
Tom Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I think you are turning the valves on too fast. Try turning them off then bump the tank around a bit and turn then back on a little bit very slowly after you have cut off every thing that uses propane let the line pressurize. Then cut the valves back on.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:21 AM   #6
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Since we are talking ovens. Recommendation: Get a 12 X 12 inch of Terra cotta tile and place in the over just above the flame/below the rack. It will help distribute the heat evenly when baking.
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:32 PM   #7
Papafish
Established Member

M.O.C. #13739
Thanks for the input. Still trying to run this to ground but I didn't know the lines had check valves in line, I'll check those. Thanks again, Steve
Old 09-28-2013, 02:21 AM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
When I had a similiar problem, (brand new unit), it turned out to be a kink in the propane line.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 02:32 AM   #9
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
X2 on possibly turning the valves on too fast. I've several propane things (weed burner, fry burner, grill) that have 'safety' features where if you don't turn the valves on slowly, something in the line thinks you've a loose hose and mostly shuts off. Don't know why this doesn't completely shut off (if you've a major leak, why have even a little propane coming?), and it is what it irritatingly is. Also don't know when these started being installed to irritate people.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:32 AM   #10
Papafish
Established Member

M.O.C. #13739
Being a newbie, I hadn't turned the tanks off between trips /storage and this only happened on the last trip so shouldn't be the opening of the valves too quickly, I don't think but I'm open to trying anything. Getting cold here in Idaho so def. need a reliable furnace. Thanks
Old 09-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I would assume that there is a small red regulator in the door side compartment on the pipe that crosses over to the main regulator/selector unless something has been modified. Sometimes the small regulator has been a problem, however in your case neither tank is supplying propane to the stove and furnace, so I would disregard this regulator. The output of the Main regulator is fed into a steel line that runs along the frame and up to the furnace and hot water heater then on to the stove.

Propane from either tank is fed into the Auto switching regulator via flexible hoses at the top of the regulator. A flexible line out of the bottom of the regulator feeds the main supply line. I would bet it is this regulator that is the problem. It would certainly not be the first time. There is the possibility the output hose is kinked enough to stop/reduce the flow to the appliances as it would be highly unlikely both flex hoses from the tanks would be likely to be kinked.

I am not sure I should/would recommend the following but this is what I would do. Turn off both tanks, remove the hose from the bottom of the regulator where it attaches to the main feed pipe and turn on a tank to see if you have propane coming out of the regulator. It should be very obvious and would only require the valve to be open momentarily.

You certainly must be very careful with this type of test and make sure there are no open flames anywhere near the area. Not the best way of doing things but would answer the question.

I am not a subscriber to the speed at which a propane tank is turned on, I have never paid the least attention to that and have never had a problem related to doing it one way as opposed to another.

When it starts getting chilly it is not a fun time to be trying to solve heat problems. Hope you can resolve it quickly.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote