Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
Tko
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6130
3750FL 12V LIGHT/CIRCUIT HELP

While searching for the reason why my basement 12v power outlet would not work(for an outside TV or such), I found the second leg of the outlet wiring was not connected. I connected it and all worked, including my basement lights, outside light under the front as well as the 4 lights (2 each) above the LR couches. When I was putting the outlet back into the basement wall I lost all power to the lights (basement and the outside convenience light as well as the utility convenience center and the 4 couch lights) plus the 12V power outlet. I pulled every 15A fuse in the power center as well as the 25A and found no bad fuses. I recycled the circuit breakers as well. I did find a 15A fuse in the battery compartment and it is good. Any ideas on where this circuit is controlled? I'm sure the Montanna Folks planned this as one of their owner treasure hunts

Paul

Tko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
Paul, just a suggestion, but try and reset the GFI ciruit at the plug, could be in the kitchen, bathroom, not sure where yours is located.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
Tko
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6130
Joe, Thank you for the suggestion. I'd completely forgotten a GFI connection. I found only one GFI outlet (in the kitchen on the front of the sink cabinet above the central vac. It was on, but I tested it several times (reseting it) with no luck. This is strange because all of the other 12V lights including the outlet for the bedroom tv are working.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I suggest that you try turning the lights on with your key fob. If all come on you have wired your basement wires into your "scare" lights. Just a thought.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
Tko,
What happens if you go back and pull the 12v wall outlet again? Worth a try to check the connection you found loose to begin with. Could be a bad connector or connection to the connector.

r,
Jack
Old 08-31-2011, 07:06 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You might have more GFCIs to look for. My 2006 had three circuits. One next to the lavatory in the front bedroom, one in the living room at the rear of the rig and one in the kitchen in the center of the rig. I think that's what I remember. Now I better go luck just to be sure. I'm not sure this will fix your problem, but I am just posting and hope you look for more GFCIs. I can't imagine a newer rig is gonna have less of them.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:45 AM   #7
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
I re-read Tko's post again and then again. Maybe I am really confused here, but I thought this post was about 12 volt powered components. I know the lights in my basement, convenience center, outside under the front and the lights mounted to the underside of the cabinet over the couch are all 12 volt. Do the GFCI outlets in our rigs somehow control them too If so, that is a new one on me.

Jack
Old 09-01-2011, 05:48 AM   #8
Tko
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6130
Thank you all for the great responses. After scratching my head for a day, I went back out yesterday after work and started searching for a mysterious fuse connection. After pulling the basement walls to find this non-existent fuse and seeing the complete rats nest of wires and pipes I closed everything back up went inside the Monty, sat down and looked at the fuse box - lo and behold there was a red light glowing beneath a 15A fuse. Now, this light was not on two days ago unless the heat affected my ability to see red. Pulled the fuse and sure enough melted. Replaced and once again the Montana was back to 100%. Guess sometimes one has to slow down, give the montana time to heal thyself.

Again, many thanks to y'all
Paul (TKO)
Old 09-01-2011, 06:13 AM   #9
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Paul,
I will not argue with you at all about that little red light. However, I will bet the fuse was blown then too.
That little red light only comes on when the circuit is trying to draw current over the blown fuse. I am guessing none of the switches were on when you checked your fuse panel. This time you left one of the switches on and the red LED illuminated.
Glad you found it.
Suggestion if you have a helper next time is to have them watch the fuse panel while you flip the switches. If the light flashes then you know you have a blown fuse.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 07:40 AM   #10
Tko
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6130
I did not know that was how the system worked. Learn something new every day. A most excellent idea - Thanks.

P.S. I retired as an MSgt USMC as well...Semper Fi TOP!
Old 09-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #11
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
your ground fault only trips 110v outlets. It has nothing to do with the 12v portion of your trailer. My guess is when you put the box back into place a wire shorted against metal or you have a strand of wire that is hitting something in the wall.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote