Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2021, 01:08 PM   #1
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
New hydraulic valve bad?

Long running saga of front jack movement when slides operated. About 6 calls to Lippert for troubleshooting and finally I ordered a new valve to replace front jacks valve, still no joy. Everyone agrees there is bypass happening and all believe it is this valve, most recent tech says both the old and new valves must be leaking thru - I don't buy it. I tested both with air per a prior tech and both held.

Only having issues when pump is running - no other movement (rig stays level).

Any suggestions?

I first posted this as a Level Up problem - clearly it isn't.

RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:02 PM   #2
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Since you have already replaced the Frt LG Hydac valve with new one you did verify the manual override screw on new Hydac valve is fully CCW? If it isn’t then when you operate slide switch to move hydraulic slides fluid will pass thru the LG lines ( front are tandem connected)

If that’s good then have you verified that when you operate slide out switch that LG Hydac valve is nit picking up a 12 volt DC signal and opening inadvertently?

Color code from front control module to that Frt LG Hydac valve is GRAY wire.. there should be no 12 volt reading on this wire when the hydraulic slide outs are moving..

See image for my pin out of OEM wire harness and color codes.. image from my fifth wheel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B044B5DF-83CB-476F-930F-6B50E199EB9E.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	9423  
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 03:15 PM   #3
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
I've even tried it with the coil removed. Yes, both new and ood Hydacs were fully CCW. I think I've talked to every slide/jack expert at LCI. About to drive me bonkers. Even asked the last one if the manifold block could have had a defect - he was very adamant that it doesn't happen.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:37 PM   #4
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
If that Hydac valve is truly closed then I can’t see how the hydraulic fluid is flowing from the manifold thru the Frt LG Jack lines. They are isolated and the LG Hydac is of course mounted on the LG itself.. it’s not on a manifold body like the mid/rear Hydac valves are.. no lines are interconnected to the front LG lines either..

One thought .. have you done an internal bypass leak check on those two front LG?

Looked again at the layout of the system and the return side of one of those two LG hydraulic cylinders could “maybe” be bypassing and letting fluid flow .. just a wild guess based on the Lippert layout image I’ve attached
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3A1043CC-9606-4E6D-91C9-247C9B37473F.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	114.8 KB
ID:	9425  
Old 06-16-2021, 04:39 PM   #5
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Thanks Chuck! The first tech got me going down the wrong rabbit hole when he descibed "the one with the gray wire" The valve out to the slide manual shutoffs NOW appears to be a gray/WHITE wire (I really need to put a light in that bay!). I think I've been barking up the wrong tree. I need to test my way thru the valve on the LF jack. I guess I have tomorrow's schedule planned out. Thanks for sticking with me and showing me the light ;-) I just stuck my big worklight in there and could see the gray/white wire... finally. "Not in the manifold" got me wondering "what the heck was I doing".

Feels like I made a wrong turn and drove about 500 miles before someone else realized it!

Thanks again!
Old 06-17-2021, 11:56 AM   #6
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
The "Thanks" button isn't enough for Chuck's help getting me past an initial wrong turn which kept me from fixing this! Hooked up, retracted all, swapped valve and all good. 15 minute fix!

Thank you very much Chuck!

I think the 3 valves in the manifold and one having (what I can now see) a gray/white wire are probably who the first LCI tech thought I was in the correct pew when clearly I wasn't in the correct church . Feels good to stop banging my fool head on that brick wall.
Old 06-17-2021, 12:54 PM   #7
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Kudos to ChuckS!!!!!!

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 01:30 PM   #8
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Amen!

Had to go figure out how to do do this:
Old 06-17-2021, 02:44 PM   #9
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Happy to hear your issue is fixed.. a great group of folks here with enough knowledge amongst the group to help anyone in need…
Old 06-23-2021, 02:58 PM   #10
Randy Auman
Established Member

M.O.C. #9156
That is the exact problem I had with my brand new Cedar Creek 2021 trailer with a Lippert 3.0 6 point leveling system. Two new pumps and values and two new jacks later, it was fixed. It took a lot of time and testing to find the issue. In the end, there were two issues the values causing the jacks to creep down and the jacks and slides operating on the same switch, and a MID level bypass leak on one of the jacks. The bypass leak on the jack would cause it to retract about 3 inches while extended for the trailer.
Randy Auman is offline   Reply With Quote