Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2021, 07:36 AM   #21
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
While the rv is waiting for repairs, the warrenty
is being eaten away..

dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:03 AM   #22
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Warranty work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubs View Post
Anyone else experience this sort of problem.
Took my new Montana 3121 in for a few (minor) fixes that I could have taken care of at home, however wife strongly suggested to let the pro's handle it since it is under warranty. They have now had my unit held hostage for four weeks and they tell me it will be at least two more weeks since they are having difficulties getting the parts they need to may the repairs. My Lord, I could have made the parts myself faster than this. Is everyone having problems getting parts? Had a friend that ordered a part from Amazon and got it in two days, guess from now on I should do that, right? Anyhow, just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this sort of problem.
Gubs,
If you will send me your full name, phone number and the last 8 of your vin, I will ask Keystone Service to look into your specific situation. You can send me your information in a private message.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:56 PM   #23
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
Yep the parts are taking a long time the dealer has had my 2020 for 5 months
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:21 AM   #24
justjon

M.O.C. #28422
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
We took our HC in to the shop the day after labor day and it didn't get all the parts in till early November.(luckily that's our spare rig) A slide motor, black tank valve and ceiling fan were the issues. It's my understanding that new rigs are sitting up in Goshen waiting for ceiling fans right now. Mobile repair folks out here in NM are also having problems with parts, even things like light switches and sail switches. And yes, I can frequently find on Amazon what you can't get thru the dealer network.
Yes I had the same issue with my 373FL Montana I found after talking with several people at the dealership that if it is warranty work everything has to be approved from Keystone in Indiana . They take pictures and then send them in and wait for the approval if they choose to fix it. But if you pay out of your pocket it is in and out in 3 or 4 days . I don’t think much of RV warranty . Now I do everything my self . They kept my 5th wheel for almost 7 weeks . My friend has a Forest River built trailer and had the same problem . RV builders and dealers just want to sell the unit and that is it. Be thankful that you are a handy person . Best of luck.
justjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:16 PM   #25
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
Shops are over booked and under staffed. Plus, sales take priority over repair work.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:36 PM   #26
lakejumper

M.O.C. #8080
Rames14, I’m curious which dealership are you using? I’m in Santa Rosa, CA
lakejumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:57 PM   #27
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
I was up in Goshen last July and Keystone had several new units waiting for parts. I talked to a production supervisor in the parking lot and he told me they had really slowed production because Covid had severely affected their parts suppliers. When they did get parts the new units got first priority. As you know, RV sales went through the roof. The suppliers are catching up so hopefully things will continue to get better. This lack of parts effected the dealers as well, but that is improving. The dealer makes all the difference. I have a great dealer that treats me right. They don't want to hold my RV until they have the parts to fix it. They charge for that service level but unless its major, I'm in and out within a couple weeks. Warrenty claims with Keystone is another issue. The dealers are held up by Keystone approvals. Problem is apparently, many dealers don’t follow up, take their time ordering parts or flat forget to order the parts. My dealer service advisor actually got some warranty work approved on an item that was out of warranty. Don’t know how he did it but now he’s set a high bar for me. Point is, its the dealer that makes all the difference. A good one is as concerned about repair service as they are about selling new units. They are hard to find, so I stick with mine. I also follow up with my service advisor and he knows I will be checking on him. No slackers! Of course they keep asking me when I think I’ll be buying a new unit, lol. I just tell them as long as they treat me right, when I’m ready, I’ll buy it from them.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 02:16 PM   #28
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
You certainly introduced a sore spot topic. ��

My dealer repair shop is a DISASTER. In March 2020, I reluctantly took our Montana in for warranty work. Overall, the RV did well. That's about the time COVID hit. The dealer reduced staff and so did Keystone warranty people. I had 6 relatively minor warranty issues. I received it back from the dealer after 5 1/2 months, who said all items were fixed, and parked it. The dealer did not show me the completed work.

The dealer fixed two of the easiest items I could have done myself. They made a half effort to fix the satellite TV issue (also a Keystone failure), and totally did not repair an awning and furnace issue. While we were in FL, we took our 5er to Lazy Days, who fixed the furnace this February. I must say that Lazy Days treated us well.

I'm so frustrated that I will never take my RV back to this dealer, and hopefully no dealership. To me, the factory warranty was practically useless. The furnace was repaired under the extended warranty after the factory warranty expired. I wonder if I should even keep the extended warranty, but the jury is still out on that.

So not only did my dealer NOT fix 3 of the 6 items (after saying they did), when I picked up the RV, it was dirty like it had been parked in a field 5 months, the battery was so dead that it would not operate the jacks and work completed was sloppy. Forgot to mention that they used up all the propane and left zero, first night out couldn't run gas stove top.

I took it to FL in January 2021, and it was immediately obvious that the furnace and awning were not fixed. Now that we just returned from FL, I do plan to elevate my issue to a corporate level, but right now, I don't want ANY repair shop of that dealership chain working on my rig. Not sure I want their solution.

I'm thinking that factory warranties are practically useless. I wasn't that impressed with Keystone because I was going back and forth between the dealer and Keystone when one would say they were waiting on the other.

Don't buy an RV if you are not prepared to pay warranty repairs out of pocket. This is a black eye on the RV industry and manufacturers know it.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 02:47 PM   #29
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davekendall1@yahoo.com View Post
You certainly introduced a sore spot topic. ��

My dealer repair shop is a DISASTER. In March 2020, I reluctantly took our Montana in for warranty work. Overall, the RV did well. That's about the time COVID hit. The dealer reduced staff and so did Keystone warranty people. I had 6 relatively minor warranty issues. I received it back from the dealer after 5 1/2 months, who said all items were fixed, and parked it. The dealer did not show me the completed work.

The dealer fixed two of the easiest items I could have done myself. They made a half effort to fix the satellite TV issue (also a Keystone failure), and totally did not repair an awning and furnace issue. While we were in FL, we took our 5er to Lazy Days, who fixed the furnace this February. I must say that Lazy Days treated us well.

I'm so frustrated that I will never take my RV back to this dealer, and hopefully no dealership. To me, the factory warranty was practically useless. The furnace was repaired under the extended warranty after the factory warranty expired. I wonder if I should even keep the extended warranty, but the jury is still out on that.

So not only did my dealer NOT fix 3 of the 6 items (after saying they did), when I picked up the RV, it was dirty like it had been parked in a field 5 months, the battery was so dead that it would not operate the jacks and work completed was sloppy.

I took it to FL in January 2021, and it was immediately obvious that the furnace and awning were not fixed. Now that we just returned from FL, I do plan to elevate my issue to a corporate level, but right now, I don't want ANY repair shop of that dealership chain working on my rig. Not sure I want their solution.

I'm thinking that factory warranties are practically useless. I wasn't that impressed with Keystone because I was going back and forth between the dealer and Keystone when one would say they were waiting on the other.

Don't buy an RV if you are not prepared to pay warranty repairs out of pocket. This is a black eye on the RV industry and manufacturers know it.
Just an FYI , any Keystone approved dealer can do warranty repairs. Not necessarily the dealer you bought it from. I bought my rig from Lazy Days and they treated me good as well. ITS ALL ABOUT THE DEALER. Find a good one and you will be a happier camper. They are not easy to find. If you document your warranty issues with your dealer WITH A DATED ESTIMATE, get a hard copy. Keystone still should honor your warranty work. It all has to be documented and submitted to Keystone before the warranty expires. The actual work should still be covered even though the actual time has expired. Document everything, and follow up yourself. You should check with Keystone to make sure the dealer has submitted the claim. If the dealer screws up, you can come after them for the repairs. Amazingly, they get it covered by the warranty. 🤨
Old 03-28-2021, 03:51 PM   #30
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
No way I would take it back to the dealer for simple things that I can fix myself. How it would cost me over fifty bucks just in fuel to and from.
I don't even use the dealers free oil changes. You have to wait at least an hour and a half to get that done. I can do it at home in 10 minutes
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:34 PM   #31
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
Parts shortage

I was told there was a shortage on the fiberglass material for the front nose caps and rear on the fancy models, its made from a different fiberglass than the sides. They say its the same fiberglass that they make the propellers for those big windmills. So some of the fancy 5th wheels that are supposed to have the fiberglass rear end cap are coming thru with the laminated ones like the sidewalls. That should go over big when a customers camper he order comes in without the fancy nice fiberglass rear end cap
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 04:57 PM   #32
Willjim
Established Member

M.O.C. #26306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubs View Post
Anyone else experience this sort of problem.
Took my new Montana 3121 in for a few (minor) fixes that I could have taken care of at home, however wife strongly suggested to let the pro's handle it since it is under warranty. They have now had my unit held hostage for four weeks and they tell me it will be at least two more weeks since they are having difficulties getting the parts they need to may the repairs. My Lord, I could have made the parts myself faster than this. Is everyone having problems getting parts? Had a friend that ordered a part from Amazon and got it in two days, guess from now on I should do that, right? Anyhow, just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this sort of problem.
I bought a new 3813ms May 2020, have had multiple issues. The main one being the jWrap on left side (that is the metal under the fiberglass side) it blew out going through Atlanta looked like a wind sail on a sail boat. Has been on back order for 8 months, when it came in it the wrong one. Could not be more disappointed with the issues I have had. I could tell you a lot more but I would get mad again. Good luck with yours.
Willjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 05:27 PM   #33
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
I suggest you find another dealer or place for repairs. You need someone interested in your business. Sounds as if you have your rig at C.W.
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:45 PM   #34
skippydoo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25725
Our dealer and repair is camping world. It was a mess before covid and with covid it is the same mess. We have been customers of theirs since 2013

Their service department customer service is awful AND rude. And they just push paper around.
Our rig has been there for 3 weeks now sitting somewhere in the back with all the others.

IF you are using Camping World...trust me you are not alone.

We have taken it for evaluation, then brought it home until parts come in. THEN schedule another fix date. Sometimes it works sometimes it does not. They are just a mess and they proved it since 2013
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 07:15 PM   #35
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Most CW dealers are horrible. I have had them service my rig one time. They are rude and the one near me has had 6 GM’s in 9 months. Sent a email to the owners office. That went nowhere. FIND A NEW DEALER!
Old 03-28-2021, 08:07 PM   #36
Tonykling
Established Member

M.O.C. #24247
Long Camper Repairs

I too have experienced this excessive wait time and feel sometimes that they overbook maintenance. I have been successful at calling them and getting my 5'er out of their lot when I want to take it on a short trip. When you do that, they actually let you know when they plan to work on it so you can get it back in time for the work. That seems to help the wait time. Check with your dealer to see if they are open to you taking the trailer for a trip and returning it when they actually need it.
Tonykling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:30 PM   #37
paulinbaja
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14041
When you get it check for external damage. I've known people who have had their units damaged by movement on CW lots.
paulinbaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 07:36 AM   #38
fftim29
Established Member

M.O.C. #19063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Moon View Post
If I ever buy another RV, I feel sorry for the dealer; I will probably take 2 days to do my “pre-delivery inspection”, and will be giving them a multi-page punch-list.
I took over 7 hours on my PDI for my RV. The dealer was not happy as it backed up the delivery schedule. My thought was “too bad”. I’m spending a lot of money and they weren’t getting a dime until the unit was up to MY standards!!! Knock on wood... no major issues in the past 5 years!!
fftim29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:07 AM   #39
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
No way I would take it back to the dealer for simple things that I can fix myself. How it would cost me over fifty bucks just in fuel to and from.
I don't even use the dealers free oil changes. You have to wait at least an hour and a half to get that done. I can do it at home in 10 minutes
30 years in construction, though I`d had heard it all from people that wanted to play the warranty game. One customer called and said he wanted the Electrician to come back for a problem with all the electrical plates in the new house and he refused to. He felt I ,builder should come over to check out the problem, that he wouldn`t identify over the phone. I went over with my little tool kit. He said he wanted all the screw slots in the electrical plates to be vertical not random. I handed him my screw driver and left.
The other good one is after I delivered a house to a new customer that was built on his lot. I got a call for a problem with the roof some 6 months later. Went over first cause my roofers are a ruff bunch and the customer said birds had decided to make the highest point on his roof a perch for a time I guess and he wanted me or one of my men to go up and clean the bird droppings off his roof under warranty of course.
I just got in my truck and left. It`s best not to listen to your wife sometimes.
With campers I`m a firm believer of "fix it (myself) and forget it" a lot less stressful in the end. Houses and dealing with the public, not so much.

Retired and don`t miss it.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 09:50 AM   #40
cgeis48
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9174
What's the Bigger Question?

The bigger question is: Why do you need repairs at all on a brand new rig?
cgeis48 is offline   Reply With Quote