Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2018, 11:09 AM   #41
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Hi

My qualifications:

I grew up in my father’s heavy equipment shop. Started working summers when about 14 and started managing the shop at 18.

That gives me 60 years experience in business that had to deal with tires of all descriptions.

My father went on to moving houses. We learned about tires and heavy loads.

I went from there to high speed tires carrying heavy loads think DC6 to 747.

I move from the ramp to quality control and obtained more training in forensics concerning “infant motility” of products like tires and hydraulic components.

At 65 and 250 lbs I retired and moved from behind the desk to the real world again.

For 5 years after tried to sell my airport but with the decline in the economy I still own it.

So at 70 I volunteered to help a large outfit that has a fairly large fleet of light duty trucks to large tracked equipment with their equipment reliability and maintenance cost.

I now weigh 200 lbs and fell better than I have for the last 20 years. The company has seen an 80% reduction in maintenance cost and a large improvement in equipment reliability.

As for the trailer tire.

I helped him put the spare on and then lead him to the local truck tire shop. Just as a note this tire shop sells the Sailun tires.

This tire failed the side wall the tread stayed intact this is the reason only the fender is destroyed no plumbing or other structure was effected.

Examination of the outside of the tire:

The outer layer of rubber on the sidewall had separated for ¾ of the diameter of the tire. The actual failed point was about 1/3 of the way from one end of what would have been a large elongated babble. There was not any evidence of a curb strike that results in deep gouges the run about a 45 degree angle from the tread area toward the rim. There was no steel cord that appeared cut like you would get when running over a foreign object on the road.

Examination of the inner part of the tire:

This had an interesting separation of the inner lining of the tire. The steel cords had failed like an overloaded winch cable fails the major portion of the wire strands where not frayed on the ends instead they were tapered down like the end of a needle but not to a point. This type of failure doesn’t happen from impact damage and is commonly seen on cabling that has been overloaded.

This tire has been shipped back to the manufacturer. The tire company says they commonly don’t get any information back about the determination they make.

Phil P

Well, after all that could it have been a manufacturing defect in your opinion ??????? Could all what you are describing happened because of the blowout, could the tire been run under inflated , loss of air etc etc etc .

PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:18 AM   #42
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
That'll teach you to wind up Phil

I was just wondering what caused the failure, and what led to his conclusion , wow !!!
Old 11-25-2018, 12:26 PM   #43
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

My opinion is it wasn’t FOD or a curb strike. I would lean towards a manufacturing defect. I would not think it would be under pressure maybe over pressure but the way the tire is made it would have to be way way over pressure so I doubt that.

When I did the aircraft tires I would report like I did this to you all and if the powers to be considered it prudent they would have me ship them the tire. I commonly never heard any more about it.

A lot of the large aircraft tires are inflated too much higher pressures than the truck tire. We had some failures while inflating them after installation. Inflation was performed with the tire and wheel in a substantial enclosure with vents at the roof line and was constructed so as to keep personnel completely out of the danger area. There wasn’t even a way to see the tire during inflation.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 01:35 PM   #44
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
......As for the trailer tire.

I helped him put the spare on and then lead him to the local truck tire shop. Just as a note this tire shop sells the Sailun tires......This tire has been shipped back to the manufacturer......Phil P
When you helped the guy, did you notice how big his FW was? Still, I'm going to mentally note this as the only reported Sailun failure on any of the forums I peruse.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 01:55 PM   #45
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Hi

A lot of the large aircraft tires are inflated too much higher pressures than the truck tire.

Phil P
Just a, for instance; While working with the F4B Phantom II aircraft ashore and aboard ship, the inflation pressures changed drastically. For shipboard operations the 22 ply tires were inflated to 500 PSI. Operating ashore the inflation pressures were reduced to 350 PSI.

During my time with the Phantom II the 22 ply tires were changed to a 22 ply rating tire. Less cotton fabric cord for the stronger Nylon cording.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:11 AM   #46
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
When you helped the guy, did you notice how big his FW was? Still, I'm going to mentally note this as the only reported Sailun failure on any of the forums I peruse.
As I said , I have no doubt that a Sailun tire had a blowout, just in doubt to the cause. May never know, but like you its the first I have read about. There are plenty of them out there, and one is sure not going to change my opinion about them .