Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-23-2018, 03:36 PM   #1
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
Slide Toppers

Just trying to see what others think about them? Do you use them or feel they are a waste, I am questioning if I need them

Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:20 PM   #2
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
You need them. Yes they make noise when it is very windy but that is the only downside. Up side you don't have to climb on your roof to sweep off the slide roof when you want to close the slides. No leaves, water, pine needles,or other debris being dragged inside the rig when closing the slides. Ok yes you can get snow on them but when you close the slide the snow just falls off. Plus just stay out of where it snows.
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #3
Wicked1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21100
We never camp under trees and I have no issues with climbing on top to sweep off my roof, I just can’t see the justification, as ppl I have talked to say they are a maintenance nightmare, also if they were so critical why wouldn’t MFG’s just add them to all units? Not arguing just trying to find a good justification for them 🤔
Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #4
waynemoore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10552
I am on my second Montana with toppers and never had to do a thing to them. There is no maintenance at all. I am just turning 75 years old and am not going to climb on the roof of this rig. Getting up there is not the problem getting down is. One has to just about lay on your belly to navigate onto the ladder because the top railing of the latter is so close to the roof. plus DW says I can't climb on latters anymore.

They are not critical just another upgrade to make things easier and safer.

Ok quick question am I wrong or are toppers a maintenance problem?
waynemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:14 PM   #5
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Did not have them on my last sob 5er. There was no ladder on that 5er either. Had to carry a ladder with me and break it out every morning before breaking camp to clean off the one super slide. Pain in the a@#. There always seemed to be dew on the top of the slide. Not wanting that moisture introduced to the interior, I had to dry off the slide. Had to close the slide a few times in the rain, threw a bunch of towels on the slide as it entered the RV. Another pain in the a@#.

Had my Montana 1 year before getting slide toppers. That first year, I had to climb up with a broom and towel to sweep and dry the slides. Now I'm doing that to five slides. One year anniversary, I splurged and got slide toppers. Camping World, 2016, five slides, $2200 installed, same day. Now I don't have to go on the roof every single trip I take to clean and dry the slides. Additionally, I noticed that with the air gap between the slide topper and the slide roof, the slides are a bit cooler.

Some folks carry electric blowers to clean off the slides. There are some that have attachments for their blowers that allows them to do it without getting on the roof. That, however, does not address the rain.

If you never park under trees and it never rains, then don't spend the money. They are not a critical upgrade but they sure do look cool.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:19 PM   #6
Gerbing 1

M.O.C. #19490
My High Country came with mine , I love them no work, and always clean inside
Gerbing 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:01 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Had them on the old rig, but since we spend most of our time in the west, don't have them on the new rig.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:01 PM   #8
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
I've been considering them, but not a huge priority. Out here in the west we seldom get leaves and stuff on top of the slides; I've never swept them off.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:39 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynemoore View Post
You need them. Yes they make noise when it is very windy but that is the only downside. Up side you don't have to climb on your roof to sweep off the slide roof when you want to close the slides. No leaves, water, pine needles,or other debris being dragged inside the rig when closing the slides. Ok yes you can get snow on them but when you close the slide the snow just falls off. Plus just stay out of where it snows.
I like this reply and agree. Had them on our 2006 3400 no maintenance required and they were in good shape when traded in 2013 also have them on this 2013. I agree they make noise when very windy but it has to be VERY windy.If you are good with climbing up there and cleaning off debris that is fine. The toppers makes travel easier for us like the leveling system, Mor Ryde IS system, TPMS, Back up cam, etc
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:53 PM   #10
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
We have them on are's and like them keeps all the crap & rain off the slides we have a lot
of trees and rain here in Washington St.

Bob & Carol
Washington St
2017 352RL 2008 Dodge 3500 DRW crew cab LB 6.7L
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:59 PM   #11
DmaxDually
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14092
Just like anything else. It's a matter of personal preference. I have 5 slides on mine and I don't have any toppers. I bought it used. It was a year old when I bought it. If I ordered it new I probably would have gotten them. If I want to I could have them installed now but I'm not. I'm still young enough where going on my roof is not an issue YET. I go on my roof before closing my slides to inspect and clean off any thing on top of them and also to inspect the roof. The way I look at it is I like the fact of not having toppers because it forces me to go on the roof to inspect it and find any issues before they become a problem. If I had toppers I feel that I would hardly go on my roof unless I had a problem...
DmaxDually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:25 AM   #12
The Old Fogies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8908
We do a lot of our camping in State Parks. There are trees. I stay off my roof unless I'm doing yearly inspections or maintenance. The toppers keeps our slides clean. Love them.
In the first few months we we had our camper, we were staying on the Outer Banks and a storm with wind came up. We were worried about the large slide topper ripping so we pulling it in during the storm. Have not done that since.

The Old Fogies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:30 AM   #13
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
In Florida the sun cooks them in a couple of years unless there white and then you get a year or so extra, but now you have to deal with mildew. I have home made toppers made from plastic roof panels that i use on the slides and take them down when we leave.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:21 AM   #14
Skw774
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20974
Our travel trailer did not have a topper. I added to the new 340. Will never have a camper without them. They are well worth the money

2023 GMC 2500 HD AT4
2018 High Country 340BH
Skw774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:31 AM   #15
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
We like the toppers also. As others have said, it stops you from bringing in water when you retract your slides. When we are under trees and it has been raining and the leaves are wet and sticking I use a broom from the ground to wipe them off so they don't get rolled up in the topper.

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:51 AM   #16
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
I'm nearly 70 and know old bones take long to heal on those that survive. Have had toppers on my last 3 5ers and will never be without them.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 10:59 AM   #17
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
This topic has been covered several times. At the end of the day I thinks it's a personal choice. I would hesitate to say they are necessary. I however have them. I plan to install them on next coach. It provides me with one less thing to worry about with regards to sweeping off the slide box tops. They make noise in windy conditions but that does not bother me.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:24 PM   #18
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
After having water come in my SOB trailer during a heavy rain,they have been a must have.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #19
Waricha
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20684
I really believe in the value of the slide out toppers. They prevent debris and moisture from settling on the slides. They are absolutely worth the investment.
Waricha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 04:05 PM   #20
Five O'clock Somewhere
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20168
I have 5th wheels both with and without covers. Will never have one in the future that does not have them. Got time of bringing in rain water when closing them up.
Five O'clock Somewhere is offline   Reply With Quote