Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2017, 09:45 PM   #21
bigred715
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5091
We also use Kirkland and use plenty of water. When dumping I fill the tank for at least 4 min, then dump and repeat 3 times until dump water is fairly clear. We now dump about every 7 days before leaving parks. I don't like traveling even short distances with tanks partially full.

bigred715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:31 AM   #22
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
Does not matter what kind since anyone using our toilet including my wife and are instructed to put it in the small plastic bagged trash can next to the toilet. I have sign behind the toilet that states " If it did not come out of you body, it does not belong it this toilet". That bag is trashed daily and assures there will be no TP clogging up the waste valves.
Two trailers ago we had a clog with the black tank. After that we stopped putting toilet paper into the toilet. No more clogs. We use a step can with a bag and discard the bag once a day. The can has a lid and there is no smell. Thus policy has worked well for for nine years now.

People think it sounds gross, but it really isn't. I know other people who use the same method. Don't knock it till you've tried it.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:13 AM   #23
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Nice to see I am not alone in the practice of no TP in the toilet. Our waste tanks take a lot of abuse. No sense it adding insult to injury by adding TP to the mix possibly making it worse than it has to be.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #24
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
Another vote for Scott RV tp.

Works fine
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:05 PM   #25
Charli
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14048
We tried the RV toilet paper when we started out but switched to regular 2 ply TP for added strength and comfort. We pick any brand that is on sale and always check to see that they are septic safe, most are. Have found that as long as we use lots of water and add Happy Camper or similar product we don't get any blockages.
I have had problems with my black tank valve leaking and the liquid would slowly leak out. Then I had blockage problems. Put a Valterra valve on the outside connection which when closed keeps the liquids in the system and no more problems
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:14 PM   #26
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
you can use just about any septic safe toilet paper. A quick tip is if you take a mason jar and fill it 3/4 full of water, then add a couple sheets of the toilet paper you wish to use, put the lid on and shake. If it breaks up into a million pieces its safe to use, if it stays mostly whole do not use.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:32 PM   #27
akf15e
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9143
We did the "break up test" also. We use Northern quilted. Dissolves in water easily, but no nasty "breakthroughs" when dry. 4 RVs over 25 years. Never had a clog (knock on wood). No reason (IMHO) to throw stinky paper into a trash can. Lots of water, easily dissolved paper = no problems.
akf15e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 03:38 AM   #28
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
One extra benefit to not flushing toilet paper is that your black tank will not need to be dumped as often, as it does not fill up as fast. If you are boondocking or at a music festival for a week or so, this kind of thing matters. If you dump every few days, then of course it does not.

2017 High Country 305RL
Old 10-01-2017, 07:04 AM   #29
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
What loneoak said. We all camp differently. In our case it is the complete opposite of more water. I have even installed a shut off valve on the toilet water line in every camper I have owned.

Just as an example the wife and I are leaving tomorrow for a 2 1/2 week trip to 2 different places (with another 1 night stop in route both ways), each having no hook ups. We will run the genny a couple hours a day to keep the batteries up. We will dump after leaving the first location after a week or so. We have gone many times for 9 or so days without having to dump or add any water to the rig. If we were to take long showers and flush with plenty of water, we would have to reload water and dump after 2 or 3 days which would mean I would have to take the blue tote and water jugs to refill.

For the most part we boon dock 40-50 nights per year so we have to be very careful about the water that gets used and what goes down the toilet.

We have met a lot of people that will not camp unless they have full hook ups. To us they are missing out on some of the best places to camp and in a way not using there units for there intended purpose of being fully self contained.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:02 AM   #30
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loneoak View Post
One extra benefit to not flushing toilet paper is that your black tank will not need to be dumped as often, as it does not fill up as fast. If you are boondocking or at a music festival for a week or so, this kind of thing matters. If you dump every few days, then of course it does not.
So your boondocking or at a music festival for a week or so with bags of sh-- paper in or around your RV?? I'd much rather keep mine in the black tank.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:55 AM   #31
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
There are usually dumpsters wherever you camp. one can empty that can every hour if they want. There is nothing gross about the practice at all. Having just replaced all 3 waste valves there will be no paper in my tank. The world has become way to germofobic ( if that's a word).

You want to talk about gross, I recently dug up the septic line that went between my tank and distribution box to find it totally blocked. Had to beat the cast iron pipe out with a hammer and replace with pvc. The smell from that was horrific.
Old 10-03-2017, 10:48 AM   #32
Mel B.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19469
You want to talk about gross, I recently dug up the septic line that went between my tank and distribution box to find it totally blocked. Had to beat the cast iron pipe out with a hammer and replace with pvc. The smell from that was horrific.

That's to be expected, normal for a old leech line. It's your choice, I was just thinking when Shelley and I Boondock the backseat of my truck becomes the thash bag holder until we find a garbage can. No cans where we boondock. My daughter married a man who's family moved here from Mexico, They live a mile from me for 20 years, They still do what your doing but at home. It's a free country.
Old 10-03-2017, 03:48 PM   #33
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel B. View Post
So your boondocking or at a music festival for a week or so with bags of sh-- paper in or around your RV?? I'd much rather keep mine in the black tank.
No, I dump the bag every day. They do have trash containers at these places, just no sewer hook-ups. I scoop the cat box into the bag and it gets tied up and placed in the trash. I also toss the bag from the kitchen garbage every day.

It's really not as gross as it sounds, and a LOT of people never flush toilet paper into the tank.

2017 High Country 305RL
Old 10-03-2017, 05:40 PM   #34
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
We use Charmin in the RVs and the house. We had the septic tank cleaned once in 40+ years. It didn't need it then.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:55 AM   #35
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Another thing that know one mentioned is the fact that a lot of us probably have guests stay with us from time to time (I know we do). If they are not informed about what goes in the tanks they will never know what can not be put down the drain lines.

Many women flush tampons and applicators/baby wipes and other stuff not knowing you should never do that (even in your own house) and would more that likely continue to do so while using the bath room in your camper.

These items will destroy your waste valves. My sign behind the toilet addresses these items along with TP not being allowed to be put down the toilet.

Same goes for the kitchen sink. No food particles/coffee grounds which a lot of people put down there sinks every day.

I wont even get into children and the endless possibilities as to what they could flush.

If we or any of our guests treat the camper the same way we treat our homes, there will be issues down the road.