Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2004, 02:48 AM   #41
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Will keep you posted on the fix. I know the diesel was made by Isuzu
so I would hope they are used as the replacements.

Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:18 PM   #42
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have a feeling if you dont tell them you want them, GM will be using the same ones you already have. I am very interested in the solution the dealership uses to fix the problem.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 12:15 PM   #43
Montana_2203
Established Member

M.O.C. #2203
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill and Ann>>>>all injectors had to be changed. Apparently this is a problem with the Duramax. Thankfully it is going to be a warranty item. There is a 200,000 mile warranty on the injectors.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I was going to post something about this but decided against it... I will now tell you that I called GM after hearing a story from a couple of my friends about bad injectors..... the GM people would not confirm anything about this.... however, my local dealer, from whom I purchased the truck.... did tell me there was a problem with "some" but that it was not across the board so there was no recall however if the problem did surface on the Duramax... it would be fixed at no cost up to the 200,000 miles mentioned.... I am very concerned abou this since I am planning a cross country with my rig sometime in the next year or two.... I have an '02 Duramax with a little over 48,000 miles and a '05 3400RL..... sure wouldn't want to get stuck somewhere waiting for the fix to arrive.... wonder what my chances of getting this fixed before it happens or is that probably not necessary...... (if it ain't broke, don't fix it.....)
Montana_2203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 01:32 PM   #44
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
I guess I would drive on. The probability of a problem is low and the probability of a stranding problem is even lower. Injectors don't fail as a group. If one fails there are 7 more to get you to service even if a bit slower.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 07:01 AM   #45
chopstyx57
Established Member

M.O.C. #736
We have a 2004 GMC 2500HD and pull a 3400rl...it tows like a dream...I do suggest getting the "Edge" chip. It pulls without coming out of overdrive now. Getting 14 to 16mpg towing and 23 to 25mpg empty. An increase of about 4 to 5mpg with the chip.

We love our truck and have not had any probs whatsoever in 22000 miles. 18000 of that towing.

enjoy!!
chopstyx57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 08:21 AM   #46
Montana_2203
Established Member

M.O.C. #2203
[quote]quote:Originally posted by chopstyx57

>>>"Edge" chip. It pulls without coming out of overdrive now. Getting 14 to 16mpg towing and 23 to 25mpg empty. An increase of about 4 to 5mpg with the chip.
Montana_2203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 02:08 PM   #47
t1mrtork
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1744
Send a message via MSN to t1mrtork
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by chopstyx57

We have a 2004 GMC 2500HD and pull a 3400rl...it tows like a dream...I do suggest getting the "Edge" chip. It pulls without coming out of overdrive now. Getting 14 to 16mpg towing and 23 to 25mpg empty. An increase of about 4 to 5mpg with the chip.

We love our truck and have not had any probs whatsoever in 22000 miles. 18000 of that towing.

enjoy!!
John, thanks for the info. Can the Edge chip be readily removed in case you have to go back to the dealer and not void the warranty? Do you have different power levels or just a level power increase all the time? Thanks, Terry
t1mrtork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 02:18 PM   #48
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
I'm really cautious about the idea of putting in a chip or reprogramming on my '04 Duramax. We met a gentleman at a Good Sam outing who works for Daimler/Chrysler as the person who deals with dealers and warranty repair, he's a master mechanic. He says that all the manufacturers can tell if you have changed the programming, even if you change it back before taking it for service. I'd hate to void a 100K mile warranty. Any other thoughts?
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 05:33 PM   #49
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
All of these after market guys quote a legal provision that says they are not responsible unless they caused the problem or the manufacturer specifically reserves the warranty in the case of add ons. Well "duh". I think there is some risk with all of theis stuff not unlike putting a trailer hitch on your Montana to haul a bike rack. If you are cautious, you won't do it. If you are more adventurous, you might. The question is risk vs reward. At this point, I have both the hitch and the aftermarket program, thank you. Love 'em both -- no problem.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 08:11 PM   #50
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bill and Shari,
I have the same truck as you and trust me, you wont need to do anything to this truck but drive it. I am towing the 3400RL and have not had one bit of trouble towing this coach yet. Have been up and down more grades that I care to think about up here in the Pacific Northwest. Congrats on your new 2980RL coming soon. Hope you have many happy miles with both your truck and coach to come.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:57 AM   #51
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Montana Sky,
Thanks Much! I'm sitting on pins & needles now. Our rig was supposed to have been delivered last week, but got held up by bad weather. I got a call from the trucking company yesterday that the rig was delivered to the dealer yesterday afternoon. Of course, I haven't heard from the dealer yet. We're scheduled to take delivery at 2:00pm Saturday, then a trip to Camping World on Sunday. Looks like Christmas is coming early!
Old 12-08-2004, 03:23 PM   #52
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Good luck. So many toys and so little money. Reminds me of the old boat adage - a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into. Every time I go in an RV store, electronics store or sporting goods store my eyes glaze over. Enjoy your new trailer. By the way, we love the 2004 Max and Ally - really like the way they work together.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 05:37 PM   #53
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
How exciting, Bill and Shari! Be sure to let us know all about it when you get it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 09:05 PM   #54
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Bill and Shari,
Again, glad to hear your coach has arrived, best of luck on your walk-thru and trip to camping world. Nothing like having a new coach for the holidays, my christmas came back in April when my 3400RL arrived and has been going ever since. I have to stay away from the dealership and all other rv stores as well or I just keep finding that have to have item I cant do without. Hope to see you on the highways this coming summer. Enjoy!
Old 12-09-2004, 03:13 AM   #55
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Hey Guys,
We get our first peek Friday afternoon when we go to drop of the pin box plate for our SuperGlide hitch so they can mount it before we pick up the trailer. Shari will probably have to drag me away from it, but we have to stop by (or buy!) the credit union to pick up the check to pay for it. Do you think the dealer would let us spend the night in it?

Also, I put a post in the MOC regional clubs section a little while back. We'd love to host an outing in the Southern California area next year if anybody is interested. There are a number of nice parks in the area to choose from. We'd really like to meet other Montana owners and share experiences, tips, etc. in person. We'll pick a time and place based on any responses we get.
Old 12-10-2004, 02:47 AM   #56
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Update on replaced injectors: The dealer here in Texas replaced the injectors with GM injectors so I guess we will have to wait and see how they perform. The 9 hrs job took 3 days here in Texas but that didn't surprise us as everything seems to move slower down here. (except the traffic). The dealership gave us a rental as it was a warranty item. Thank goodness for that as I saw the bill going to GM. A $2700. fix.
I was surprised to read that installing a "chip" gives about 5 mpg more. I am already getting 14+ pulling our unit and 25 unhooked. I am not complaining and sure not going to touch anything that might do something different. I am also a firm believer of "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 04:00 AM   #57
aljolleyjr
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #65
I'm interested to know what kind of chip gives you 5 mpg more, because I only get 10mpg towing at best.
aljolleyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 11:38 AM   #58
chopstyx57
Established Member

M.O.C. #736
Hi everyone,

Sorry for the late post, I have been out of town and not next to my laptop....as for the Edge chip, in my case, I purchased and had my chip installed by my GMC dealer, so in my case anyway, I am not concerened with any warranty issues.

In a couple of posts back someone ask about price...I believe my dealer charged about 800.00 for the chip and gauge. The even let me run it for a couple of weeks without installing gauge to make sure I wanted it before the did the gauge. I believe when they did the gauge it was around 300.00 to install...the temp gauge sensor probably is not real pleasant to install. With the increase in my mileage, and all the towing we have done since, it is close to have paid for itself.

hope this helps answer any questions...

Happy Holidays to all!! We are headed to AZ for Christmas Yahoo!
PS: left the monte there so it is waiting for us!
chopstyx57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 12:42 PM   #59
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:With the increase in my mileage, and all the towing we have done since, it is close to have paid for itself.
When I threw the above figures at Lorraine, the accountant, she immediately got out her calculator.
Basing the cost of fuel at just $2.00 a gallon
Our unloaded MPG without the chip is 20mpg or a fuel cost of $.10 per gallon
Unloaded MPG with the chip installed should increase mpg by 5 or 25mpg or a fuel cost of $.08 per gallon
In order for that $800.00 chip to pay for itself I will have to drive at least 40,000 miles and that just paid for the chip.

My only other question is the $300.00 gauge install included in the $800.00 or does she have to do some recalculatin?

My 2500HD already has 55,000 miles and I question whether or not another $800.00 investment is worth the money.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2004, 02:17 PM   #60
t1mrtork
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1744
Send a message via MSN to t1mrtork
Lorraine! You take all the fun out of us guys trying to justify having to have more power! Gosh, I look at it this way, a if a chip gives me more power AND better gas milage, the milage is a plus! LOL! By the way, thanks for the post on the extinguishers, and your christmas card is really nice. MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY
t1mrtork is offline   Reply With Quote