Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2015, 07:50 AM   #1
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
How Flexible are You?

Well? Can you, in the middle of the night, crawl out of the upstairs bedroom window and lower yourself down to the ground if the other part of the Montana is on fire? You only have seconds.

Not Me!

Today I went out and purchased a First Alert Pro 5 Series Commercial Grade Fire Extinguisher.

Not to put the fire out, but to use it to knock down the flames so we can exit the door.

Where is your Fire Extinguisher and how big is it if you should need it when you are asleep?

leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:17 AM   #2
Happycamperscolorado
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15881
well i first would lower my wife out the window and yell to her the safe combo again for the life insurance because my big butt ain't going out the window for sure! lol . makes you think for sure. will have to relocate the fire extinguisher if need be.
Happycamperscolorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:20 AM   #3
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
This is what I used to make my choice. I have two, one by each door.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends B:C rated fire extinguishers as a minimum: at least one within 24 in. of the primary exit. The B rating is for flammable liquids, and the C rating means that the extinguishing agent will not conduct electricity back to the operator - very important in an RV environment. Extinguishers with A ratings are also beneficial. The A rating covers common combustibles like wood and paper. I also carry ABC model in my truck. Big thing people forget is to have them checked each year. They can be dangerous, therefore, I teach overnight guests how to use them. I bought 5 lb bottles that weigh about 8 lbs. I chose HalGuard Premium Clean Agent fire extinguishers in Chrome! Sure firefighter members know more about this subject. I just know not to go cheap on these devices!
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:26 AM   #4
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Artemus Gordon

This is what I used to make my choice. I have two, one by each door.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) recommends B:C rated fire extinguishers as a minimum: at least one within 24 in. of the primary exit. The B rating is for flammable liquids, and the C rating means that the extinguishing agent will not conduct electricity back to the operator - very important in an RV environment. Extinguishers with A ratings are also beneficial. The A rating covers common combustibles like wood and paper. I also carry ABC model in my truck. Big thing people forget is to have them checked each year. They are dangerous and I teach overnight guests how to use them.
Mine is a "C" rating.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:03 AM   #5
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
I have a 20 pound dry ABC by the bed. I think the best fire extinguisher for beating down the fire to get out the door would be a CO2 type but with the large nozzle it will be hard to store.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:40 AM   #6
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We have three small extinguishers in the bedroom that are non-toxic and non-conductive liquid that you can either use to knock down the fire or spray on yourself. One similar fire extinguisher next to the frig on the wall, A dry powder next to the door and a fire suppression system installed in the back of the refrigerator where the fire is most likely to start. In addition we have an escape ladder rigged for the bedroom window and a rod cut to size to hold the window open while we try to exit. All this in the hope we never have to try it all out.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 10:44 AM   #7
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
I have to tell you, since I am retired from Public Safety. I have seen many mobile homes go up in flames, and you would not believe the burn speed. Whatever your exit plan, once the alarms go off, you will literally have seconds to get out. Have a good exit plan!!!!
Old 03-18-2015, 11:01 AM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
We have three in the bedroom area like DQDick,one by the door two under the kitchen sink, two in the TV, and one on each side of the basement to grab if needed. The only place we don't have one is in the storage area or air space behind the frig. I do plan on getting one of the suppression systems this spring before hitting the road again. If we needed to get out the bedroom window I know we could. It might be a tight squeeze BUT that window frame will give if needed!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:52 PM   #9
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Agreed that the bedroom window (at least on ours) would be a real pain to get out of, but if your butt is being singed, it will get "bigger" in a hurry. I have the original fire extinguisher by the front door, for a small kitchen fire. Bought a larger one for the bedroom, as some say to "fight our way out" from up there. I also have a third large one in the basement, right by the opening, in case something happens while outside, to the truck, someone else close by, etc. Also just mounted another smoke detector right over the bed, and another one in the basement, in case something starts "right underneath us" while asleep.

Hopefully will NEVER find out if any of them work (other than testing, of course).
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:51 AM   #10
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
We also added additional fire extinguishers, and check them every couple of months, usually around the time I am cleaning or changing my air conditioner filters. It is a good idea to inspect them once and awhile and shake them up.

I would never consider any type of fire suppression system in a FW. Had one in the engine compartment of my big boat, but that was a little different.

I added a high quality smoke alarm/detector to my basement. I am of the belief that our bedroom exit windows would take too much time for two occupants to exit from in a fire, so the best bet would be early notice and immediate exit from the door.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:28 AM   #11
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Good points on having an alarm and fire extinguisher in the basement. Something I need to take care of right away!!!
Old 03-19-2015, 04:55 AM   #12
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
No one has mentioned "Fire guy Mac". We have seen his fire demonstrations at least 4times at various locations like Quartzite, and Casa Grande rv resort, and seen his products on sale at rv shows. We bought and installed 4 extinguishers that he demonstrated and sold. They are from "Firefight Products" and are A and B type. I think they are the ones DQDick has, that you can UE on he fire or on yourself to get to the door. One is in the bedroom, one near the door beside the original minimum extinguisher, one near the desk in the RL area, and one in the truck to help others out of the 5r or out of the truck in the event of a collision or engine fire. He also was Adamant that the propane be off while traveling as many fires can occur going down the road. if you run cross one of Mac's demos, go to it it may save your life.
2011 Ford f350 srw long box Lariat with B&W Patriot hitch. Residential Fridge.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:56 AM   #13
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
Damn, another project. There is no end to this.............and NO I doubt that either of us could get out the bedroom window.

Jim
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:28 AM   #14
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
HANDS DOWN, I like the idea of the smoke detector in the basement.
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:17 AM   #15
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
My feeling is if you have a fire in the RV that you need to go out the window the smoke and fumes will have already taken you out.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:45 PM   #16
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Mudchief

My feeling is if you have a fire in the RV that you need to go out the window the smoke and fumes will have already taken you out.
My hopes are the alarms would sound before that.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:48 PM   #17
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
[quote]Originally posted by Eagleback

HANDS DOWN, I like the idea of the smoke detector in the basement.

In thinking about that, it just made sense to do it. Yes, you need detectors inside the fiver, in case the electric fireplace, heater, electric blanket, etc., goes haywire. BUT, where is the furnace, the converter, the hot water heater, and a lot of the wiring? In the basement area. At least on our 3725, both the furnace, converter, and hot water heater are in a wide open common area, right under the bedroom. There is a 4 inch gap above the wall that separates the basement area from the "utilities" area. Smoke would roll right over that, hit the detector (I did mount it to the ceiling) and off it goes, hopefully giving you time to get out.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote