Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-15-2014, 02:22 AM   #1
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Progressive Surge Protector Question

I have a new Mountaineer and had them add a Surge Protector. I got to thinking, if it goes bad, can you/how do you bypass it? It could be kind of a mess without electricity for several days while waiting on one to be shipped.
Thanks.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:29 AM   #2
DonPd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4328
I have one installed and it has a switch on the remote display that will bypass the unit.

From the manual for one with remote display;
This switch is located on the remote panel, and allows the user to bypass the computer circuit in the EMS in the event of computer failure, thus allowing AC power into the RV. This does not disable the surge protection portion of the EMS; however, all other features are disabled.

From the manual for one without remote display;
Enclosed blue jumper wire allows the user to bypass the computer circuit in the EMS in the event of computer failure, thus allowing AC power into the RV. This does not disable the surge protection portion of the EMS; however, all other features are disabled.
DonPd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
DonPd is absolutely correct!
We've NEVER had an issue with ours after install and we've had it installed since 2010. Hope you enjoy the same. The company enjoys a stellar reputation.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:44 PM   #4
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
The Progressive Dynamics unit is an excellent product, and has a very good reputation. however, "stuff" does happen...

The bypass switch for the PD bypasses most of the circuit board in the main box and provides power directly to pull in the contactor (relay contacts), and that switch is what you would normally use to bypass the PD unit. But, if this relay were to fail, or one of the contacts of the relay fail, power would not be passed on through the box on one or both legs of the circuit. With this kind of failure, the only way to restore full power to the camper would be to remove the PD box and splice around it until it can be replaced. The wire into and out of the PD main box is at least #4 gauge, and is too large for common wire nuts.

I carry two "Polaris" connectors in my tool box just in case. They can be used to "splice" large gauge wires together. It's also a good idea to wrap the splice with electrical tape after they are tightened down. They are also handy if you need to pull the PD box to have the MOVs replaced after a lightning strike. It would probably take some digging behind the storage bay wall to get to the unit, but it might save a camping trip!

http://www.globalelectricalsupply.co...or-p/it-4a.htm
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 05:59 PM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Bama, is there enough 'slack' in the lines to reconnect the wires in an emergency?

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:20 AM   #6
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by twindman

Bama, is there enough 'slack' in the lines to reconnect the wires in an emergency?
One thing Montana hasn't scrimped on is the length or power cable inside the trailer. There's more than enough slack to reconnect - and then some!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 03:39 AM   #7
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by twindman

There is on mine, but then, I installed my PD unit and elected to leave lots of slack. In fact I just disconnected the incoming cable from the circuit breaker box, trimmed the ends and ran a new cable to the box. So, lots of slack. This is the easiest way to install one, so I imagine that's how yours was installed. But, even if they installed your PD unit by just cutting the incoming power cable and inserting the box, the cable ends should still have enough slack (once pulled out of the ends of the box) to make a temporary connection. You may have to remove a cable mount if they tied the cable down as a strain relief. The individual wires are so stiff at that point though, they probably left plenty of slack to ease the installation.

So, the answer to your question is... yes.

The hardest part of making a temporary "field repair" like that is getting to it. Most of the time, the PD box is mounted behind a storage bay wall. So, partially unloading the storage bay and removing screws to pull the wall away would be required, but it depends on the location of your PD box installation.
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote