Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
cargary2
Established Member

M.O.C. #13392
Pest control.

Hi Everyone:
I have looked to see if there was something on pest control (Mice) in past discussions and did not find anything. Maybe I am not using the search feature properly. Anyway, has anyone got a good solution for keeping the 4 legged pests out of the Montana during the winter months. I would appreciate any and all ideas.
Thanks,
Cargary

cargary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
With the size of the holes under a monty (and probably most 5th wheels) it is luck of the draw for not getting them. We full time so we are never in the cold climates anymore. Before we sold our house in maryland, we fed the local felines that weren't owned by any of the neighbors and that sure helped reduce the mice population in the area. John
Old 04-11-2014, 04:39 PM   #3
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
We keep a trap in the basement with peanut butter in it during the winter months...try to catch them before they get inside the living area.....did search in detail looking for anyplace they might be able to get in the living area and either used foam, steel wool or crumpled aluminum to prevent their entry....checked all slide seals when closed, etc....have tried to seal every possible place but you can not get them all....I do check our Monty every week sometimes twice since we have it parked about 50 yards from the house....on gravel.....I also keep traps in a nearby shed...and that is where we catch the most for sure...only had one in the basement this winter....
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Before we started full time I got a couple of poison feeders from a farm supply store and put them under the rig between the tires on each side. I kept plenty of food bars in them and never had a problem in the rig. Pack rats in the truck until I started hanging mothballs in panty hose pieces under the hood, but never in the rig.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
You can go to Walmart or any farm store and look for Fresh Cab. It is an all natural pest control and it does work. If you are on facebook go to facebook.com/freshcab or if you're on twitter check out twitter.com/freshcab and see what it's all about. A lot of the farmers in this area use the packets in their farm equipment to keep the little guys out of them. You can also go to http://www.earth-kind.com about it also. Dick's suggestion of mothballs work well and so do dryer sheets. I've used them all but the Fresh Cab has proven to be the best. If they do get in the suggestion of a snaptrap with peanut butter to bring them in.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:40 PM   #6
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I have had these discussions with lots of people. I hate bugs, mice, silver fish, stink bugs etc. We use to see silverfish and spiders! I bought 2 of these units two years ago. They require power from your plugs. We keep our Fiver outside, but hooked up to at least 110. They worked so well, I bought six more for our homes! They have stopped mice from getting inside our hot tub cabinet areas! In Indiana we had been warned about stink bugs in the RV. Saw a few first night, and never seen them again. The dogs try to sleep in front of these units. Don't seem to bother them in Pet Friendly mode. I discourage them doing that, out of reasonable concern. When we leave the RV parked, I turn them to full coverage. Based on 3750s floor plan we keep one in kitchen under table, one in our room. Bugs are not ever seen in basement! Sold on these units, not cheap, but work well! I am looking at other design improvements from other product designers.

http://www.amazon.com/Pest-Repeller-...ent+electronic
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:50 PM   #7
cargary2
Established Member

M.O.C. #13392
Thanks everyone for your input and suggestions. We have always used the bounce sheets and thought we had good luck with them until this last winter. However, maybe this this is part of the reason for the pest coming into the Monty because it has been a very cold and long winter. It surely wasn't due to any foodstuff being left in it, as we always make sure that everything is taken out in the fall.
Again, thanks so much for the help.
Cargary
cargary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 04:14 PM   #8
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
We've been using a product called Mousefree. It's a semi-liquid product that gets dispersed via a pneumatic sprayer. It has a long lasting odor of spearmint and thus deters rodents and insects. I spray it on the axles, back of the brake drums, around the leaf springs, the 6 pt. leveling pads and along the bottom of the frame. If you look at the points where mice, ants, etc. gain access into your RV, it is along the routes that come in contact with the ground. You can buy it directly online. I bought it through a local RV dealer at the end of the season at a discount. It's pricey, but I only went through about a half gallon this season strategically putting on those areas. Lifespan of the product is 1-3 years, depending on exposure to the elements on the road versus a more stationary lifestyle. It seems to work well and it's given me peace of mind.
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote