Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2014, 06:55 AM   #1
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Not So Many Members

I have often wondered, out of all the Montana units out there, how many are actually members of this site. There are three RV resorts in a row where we are in Ft. Myers (Siesta Bay, Palmetto Palms, and Indian Creek). I can take a 3 mile walk through most of those and count anywhere between 10 and 15 Montanas, none of which belong to the MOC that I know of. I don't know how many Montana units are still on the road and being used, but I am starting to think that maybe only 1 out of 1,000 or less belong to this site. Maybe I am way off.

Old 03-29-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Seems to me the factory said they had built over 80,000 Montanas. If you divide that by the number of members here, the ratio is more along the lines of 1 in 6. However that number is low because of the number of members here who have passed on or gotten rid of their trailer, plus those who have bought more than one unit. I still suspect the ratio is 1 in 10, give or take. Don't forget we have a lot of members who sign in and never post or maybe even never come back again. Unless you go ask those 10 or 15 owners, you'll never know for sure if they are members or not.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:50 AM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I've often wondered the same thing here at Riverside RV Resort outside Port Charlotte...lots of montana rigs. I guess what counts is the participation here on the webcommunity and the great help that is given folks. John
Old 03-29-2014, 09:28 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Spent a summer working for the COE in Kansas. Had a prominent spot and Montana's and Cougars were the most popular rigs. Talked up the forum to many, but never found a member. Was frequently ask for help or how mods were done. Always said I learned it here, but to my knowledge, none ever joined. Go figure.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
There's at least one per month Montana owner who posts something on the Keystone forum and doesn't know about MOC. I've put links to this place in reply at least a half dozen times.
Old 03-29-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
Buffpilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5227
In 8 years with our Montana, have not met another member
Buffpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #7
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
I always try to meet other Montana owners and learn if they are MOCers. If not, I try to introduce them. Sometimes I get good response and other times they act like they are afraid . Their loss!
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:14 PM   #8
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
I used to give out business cards I made up for the MOC to Montana owners I met that didn't know about the MOC. Never heard about any of them joining. After a while I gave up on the business cards but still talk up the MOC to everyone I see.

I guess it's like the old saying, "You can lead a horse to water - but you can't make him drink!"
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:18 PM   #9
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
I too have asked many Montana owners why they don't join the MOC. I get two basic answers...the first is that they "don't do computers." The second primarily refers to older owners, before my time, that have owned their rigs for a number of years. They are quick to tell me that "in the old days" the MOC was not a very friendly place, with numerous members getting locked out after a minor disagreement of one type or another.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:47 PM   #10
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I know a member who joined after he bought a Montana never posted sold his camper and moved to Montana.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 02:52 PM   #11
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
I break the ice by telling other Montana owners my corny joke! I tell them when two or more Montana's are in the same park, an Angel gets it's wings! Nobody has hit me yet! I met many unaware if site.
Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:52 AM   #12
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
If...anyone posting on here knows my husband Bob aka HoboBob or a Si look-a-like, you will understand that he is in part responsible for at least, if not 3 new members in the last 5 years we have been full-timing.

In fact, as I am writing this, I am reminded of the time in Minnesota he asked me to come out and walk the wife thru the set-up to join. Of course, they were NOT from Minnesota and my memory is full other stuff to try to remember where they were from!

Then just recently in December, we were sitting in Lodi, California waiting for Christmas to come. A brand new Montana came in and Bob noticed and evidently sensed the driver's apprehension of turning corner to their site. So he quickly went out and made friends AND showed him how the level-ups work. They had driven 450 miles that day and were suffering from what I call "transitioning from road driving to site parking" syndrome!

Anyhow, they were quite appreciative of any help and we made new friends. Btw...they live in Elk Grove, CA and are selling their sticks and bricks ... And going full-time this summer!!!

So we told them how helpful the MOC is and they signed up under MP1 and MP2 if you are interested in verifying.

I echo Hooker on the " I do not do computers", to I am not social and I do not care to join, to "I will have my wife sign us up", and just yesterday (here in Lake Havasu, AZ) this Montana owner just bought this '08 used! He had no idea about the MOC.

I do find it helps if I get the chance to back Bob up and share about the Rallies and the MOC from "my point of view".
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Many do not know about the forum. Many think it will cost money to join. Many think they do not need any advise from anyone.
I do not know how old the old days are in terms of being kicked off for disagreeing but I have been here since 2005 and I disagree a lot and I am still here. I do know of a few that have been ejected and I would have ejected them a lot quicker. One in particular has been ejected from other forums several times.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:47 PM   #14
sambam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13166
Personally, I am grateful for finding this site. The members here have helped me get thru the first year of owning my Montana. What a terrific resource it has been, and I can't imagine where I'd be right now without the MOC.

2010 Montana 3455SA, Mor/Ryde pin, wet bolts, TST 507, Progressive HW50C, GY G614
2019 Silverado D/A 3500HD LTZ DRW CC
B&W Companion
sambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:36 PM   #15
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

This is a great site but let’s face it, it’s not real user friendly to newbies. I had quite a hard time at first getting adjusted to the lay-out and I’ve even built web pages. I also believe that since it’s required to sign up to view the site it has discouraged many people. I have tried to solicit several people and have even had promises that they will check it out and yet I haven’t seen anyone I know of that I’ve invited actually join the site. I simply believe they are intimidated and shy away from the format when they see it.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:41 PM   #16
Neil.M
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12816
I have talked to several Montana owners who are not members. A couple of them were turned off by having to "join" before they could lurk on the site. I told them there is no cost to join and don't even have to own to join. It's their loss by being afraid to join.
Neil.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:22 AM   #17
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I had been on a boating site for years prior to this one. It was formatted about the same as the MOC plus it was specific to just my make of vessel. My 40' was a 1990 with twin diesel engines that I serviced myself, so you can imagine the forum was a huge help to me. I didn't have much trouble learning this site and switching over. The only thing that still freaks me out is the whole picture posting thing.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:32 AM   #18
Drifty1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9441
I have to agree with you on the photo posting it is to complicated. Every time I upload a photo to a photo service I go through a whole retraining process.. Would be nice to upload to a MOC cloud server even if you had to pay a few bucks a year to join. Just to cut down the process..

As for running across members on the road I think I can remember 3 times for sure. The first time was when we were staying in Newport OR. when Dennis Hill (Hamrad) was pulling into the park. While he was driving by our trailer he had 2 pups with their heads sticking out the window with their tails wagging while trying to ask if I was Larry.. Another time I was pulling into Costco in Tumwater and saw a Montana and they were members headed to Yakima for a trap shooting meet, I can remember their names but are regular posters. The other time was when I was working at the Shell Refinery in Anacortas Wa. when a member was camped at Poineer Trails. So I guess I have been lucky to have run across a few folks run in Montana's.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:29 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
On the other hand we know hundreds of Montana owners all of them Members of the MOC and rally attendees.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 06:40 AM   #20
Jts140
Established Member

M.O.C. #13958
I am new to the site, as far as ease of use, I find it no different than other sites, takes time. My order is in, two weeks more, then I get my new 3625, but I find this site to be a great help, and is the first place I go for RV advice. Don't get dicouraged, it is the same with all other user groups. I am a member of a mountain biking group here in south west Florida, ( I know no mountains here) and as a board member we only usually see a 1% percent involvement among our group. We have thousands of people using our trails on a weekly basic, but to get them involved it's usually the same 1% that shows up.

However, I find that 1% is sufficent to get done what we need and are the type of positive people I like to have in my life.

2015 GMC DRW 3500
2014 3625RE
Jts140 is offline   Reply With Quote