Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #1
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
G-614 Unraveled

Just returned from a 70 mile trip. When we got home saw that the RH side of trailer was torn up. The rh front tire has thrown all the tread off. Tires will be five years old in November. Kind of ruins a good trip...

rapidrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:49 AM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Rapidrobert,
I'm not certain but I'm pretty sure it is illegal to post about a G-614 failure of any kind. Sorry to hear of the tire failure and of the damage to your rig. I've been there and done that..... More than once! It does certainly ruin a trip!

You have listed in your signature block that you have a 1994 2880. I did not realize that they were even making rigs in 1994. Could you post a picture or two? Would love to see what they looked like back then. Thanks and hope there was not too much damage, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
70 mile trip? That's not very far. When was the last trip? How long was the tire sitting prior to the trip? Is the age based on how long you've owned them or did you get it from the DOT code on the sidewall?

G614s are a tougher tire than most but they still need attention. Did you check the DOT on all your tires (and the spare) to ensure they were all the same age or from the same lot? Maybe this one suffered more abuse than the others as well. For example, the right side of a rig will tend to go over bumps and curbs especially on tight right turns more than the other side.

Other things to note are how often this tire needed air compared to the others. All my tires generally need to same amount of air when I check periodically (1-3 lbs). If one starts losing more air than the others, that should be considered.

The failure you describe can be caused by so many things including a defect. Let us know what else you find.

I'm bummed I have the same experience as Hamrad when it comes to trailer tires but hopefully not as many times.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #4
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
Dennis, you are so right, never noticed, but should be 2004. It's old but not quite
that old. Tires were installed by Mor_ryde when IS was installed. Never checked date on tires. Did not have any sign of problem that I am aware of. Tires never needed air.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:18 AM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Robert-- Not to be persistant along with Dennis, but, are you sure your unit is a 2004 2880RL. We have a 2004 2980RL and I don't recall any 2880 being made by Keystone. Dennis is also right about posting a negative about the G614. There's nothing but praise about the G614s! Guess this will start some new threads! Have one question however, did you change rims on your rig when you put on the G614s? I don't recall my rims being rated for that size tire in the way of air poundage anyway! Just checking, sorry for the mishap and hope it didn't do any damage to the Monte. I got lucky down in Georgia this last January and had a blowout and didn't have any damage. Did find some of the rubber up in the lower edge of the slideout but no damage to the unit! Got real lucky!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Robert,
Thanks for reply. Good to hear about the 2004 vs 1994. I don't know model numbers. Heck I can't even remember mine!

Rondo.... I think it is ironic that Marathons and the G-614s are made by the SAME company. One model gets bashed beyond belief and another gets praised to "High Heaven"! But enough on tires I'm rolling on! (pun intended) I'll stop just long enough to change my 'blown out' Marathons! Later, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #7
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
Dennis, you are so right, never noticed, but should be 2004. It's old but not quite
that old. Tires were installed by Mor_ryde when IS was installed. Never checked date on tires. Did not have any sign of problem that I am aware of. Tires never needed air.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
Our unit was delivered in August 2003, the sticker on the side says 2004, 2880.
None of the blue books I have looked at list 2880 beyond 2003. It is licensed as a 2004.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:47 PM   #9
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
By the way, tire didn't blow out! The rubber came loose from tire. It is still aired up.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
I have seen rapidroberts rig...parked right beside us at Fall Rally 2 yrs ago...and it is awesome in terms of appearance and decals. Bob should be proud.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #11
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Both tires being made by GoodYear shouldn't be taken into consideration too much. One is a G rated all steel constructed tire made in the USA and the other is a 20 pound lighter nylon sidewall Chineese made tire. As Rich often points out there are those out there that will go for the lowest priced merchandise above all else. GoodYear among other companies has been forced to offer the bargain basement options to maintain sales. Trojan golf car batteries is another example. The Trojan 105 model battery is the premium battery that has been long proven to go the distance over the years. But Trojan was losing sales to the wholesale club cheapies and was forced to produce a bargain Trojan the 605. All of that to say the name GoodYear on two different tires doesn't mean it's the same quality, and it certainly isn't the same load rating. Now I would still be running Marathons if two hadn't failed on my rig. If two G614s fail on my rig that tire will not be on there any longer either. Sorry to hear of your trouble rapidrobert. Hopefully the tire problems will subside for everyone. It is something we don't want to hear of with any tire.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Send a message via MSN to grayghost03
If you take a look at some of the other RV forums, you will find that the 614 kind of has its own reputation for failure, a lot of tread separations. Escapee's is a good one to do a search on.
grayghost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #13
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Very true grayghost. I have read some threads on other forums that made the G614 sound like the most dangerous tire of all time. They are made to be re-treadable. Perhaps their weakness is treads turning loose? Who knows? If the ones on my rig fails what next? Guess I will get tank type tracks off of a bull dozer or something and do away with tires? LOL!
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #14
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
The thing to note on the 614s, I do believe that GoodYear did have some problems with them a few years back, and I believe most post you'll find about their failures are older tires. Now that is not to say a new tire can't fail. Heck, we've all had something brand new or nearly new fail. The Samsung TV in our Monty failed after a year and a half. I had a leaky valve stem that I had replaced recently and got into a discussion with the Manager and he agreed that Marathons didn't belong on anything heavy, were fine for light weight TT and small utility trailers, but not on heavier units like Montanas. This is what I know and I'm sticking to it.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #15
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
I agree, we can just use what we know and can research. Tough choices to male. IMHO, when I walk through a CG, and look at tires on different rigs, a lot of cracking, under inflated, and just plain old worn out. I get past all the time by trailers going 70-80+ MPH, I am amazed that there aren't trailers broken down and lining the roads. Keep em inflated properly, inspected them, and watch your load weight and speed and hope for the best.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:58 PM   #16
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
One thing you have to be careful about on the Escapee forum is that many of the posters are Heavy Duty Truck folks with trailers that actually demand that type of TV. 614's are too small a tire for a 26,000 pound rig and if you buy one of the custom made rigs from the plant in Junction City, Kansas you have one whale of a great rig and it is truly a whale on the scales. Those things need H rated tires or above.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:11 AM   #17
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
What is most important to focus on is warning of an issue or an impending issue. In the case of tires there is no substitute (not counting a daily visual inspection and pressure check) for a good TPMS system.

A TPMS will not prevent damage in all cases, nor will it always give advance warning, but when used properly it will give fair warning of an issue. With adequate warning you can pull over and address issues typically before damage has occurred to your rig.

Regardless of tire brand or model I would buy a TPMS first before considering changing tires.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:21 AM   #18
grayghost03
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12028
Kyle, I could not agree more.
Old 05-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #19
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

One thing you have to be careful about on the Escapee forum is that many of the posters are Heavy Duty Truck folks with trailers that actually demand that type of TV. 614's are too small a tire for a 26,000 pound rig and if you buy one of the custom made rigs from the plant in Junction City, Kansas you have one whale of a great rig and it is truly a whale on the scales. Those things need H rated tires or above.
DQD, you are certainly on the mark. One thing that swayed us to our Monty is that we could get a lot of the semi-custom look and options that the built to spec rigs have but the Monty is a good 2 to 3,000 lbs lighter overall making a big difference on the tires. Although our MDT can handle the heavier trailers we have a lot more comfort knowing we are well under Bigboomers capacity.

One thing with tires as they get older that we all need to pay attention to is that when tires start approaching 5 to 6 years old they can be more subject to dry rotting from the inside (no matter who the manufacturer or type of tire). Even though the tire looks great on the outside the tire could have unseen damage waiting to take it's toll.

Les
Old 05-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #20
rapidrobert
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6534
I didn't want to be illegal, HamRad, so I replaced all four tires with new G614's Yesterday. Four tires out the door, balanced, installed and sales tax - $1543.52. Found out by date code that although I had them for four and a half years that they were almost seven years old... I will definitely install a tpms system as soon as possible. Have an appointment with Camping World Friday to get estimate to repair trailer. (still need to change sig to 2004)